The Olympic Stadium: Poll V

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you support the plans by WHUFC's Board of Directors to move the Club to the Olympic Stadium?

Yes
65%
No
23%
Undecided
13%

Total votes: 970

Denbighammer
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Re: The Olympic Stadium: Poll V

Post by Denbighammer »

Pop Robson wrote:Just was looking for a review of the cinema at Westfield and came across this

If you're a normal, sane person -- there's not much to complain about. But then if you're someone like me, you'll be craving the smaller cinemas

It's like football stadiums. The new Wembley sucks. Arsenal's stadium sucks. Everyone craves going to places like Upton Park, White Hart Lane and Anfield. They have history. They're places where you have memorable experiences
Did it say what Pinky saw at the cinema?
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1082 likes

Post by Rio »

If it's any help Pop Stratford Picturehouse near Theatre Royal is a far superior cinema. Nice bar, don't mind you taking in a couple of bottles to drink while watching the film & less of the undersirable youth
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Rio wrote:If it's any help Pop Stratford Picturehouse near Theatre Royal is a far superior cinema. Nice bar, don't mind you taking in a couple of bottles to drink while watching the film & less of the undersirable youth
A bit more intimate too
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 420 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

mywhufc wrote:Can't believe people are getting worked up again over the seats colour
When fans sit on them
You won't see them
Anyway years ago we had wooden seats at the Boleyn
Claret n blue seats are a modern addition
Will you regularly be selling out 54,000?
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Jim simple answer is no , however with a commitment to give 5K to the local community , a larger away allocation , easier access and transport links lower priced season ticket and walk ups over 40k is not an unreasonable expectation .... A bit of success and we like your club will attract our fair share of those that have fallen out of love and the new plastics so 50k is a possibility. :wink:
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

So that invalidates the fans sitting down argument then? There are some similarities between City and West Ham's stadium move but I'm nowhere near convinced that The Olympic Stadium is suitable to host Premier League matches. You're caught between a rock and a hard place here because you can't conceivably do much more with Upton Park yet you're desperate for the club to progress and move out of the shadows of your neighbours in London.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2903 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

cockney farmer wrote:Jim simple answer is no , however with a commitment to give 5K to the local community , a larger away allocation , easier access and transport links lower priced season ticket and walk ups over 40k is not an unreasonable expectation .... A bit of success and we like your club will attract our fair share of those that have fallen out of love and the new plastics so 50k is a possibility. :wink:
The 5k givw aways are not for every game , it's 100k over the season, so a LC home game against , say, Leyton Orient , could see 30k given away for that one match .Assuming we get through that and draw D&R at home and another 30k could be given away .

Therefore the number available for PL games reduces ...

Where do you have confirmation of lower ST prices ?

Easier access ? For who ?The East side of the OS is further away from Stratford station than the Rio stand at the Boleyn is from East Ham underground and Plaistow .

I do agree though there will be loads more visiting fans for the games against Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Man Utd, Newcastle, Sunderland , Everton and Liverpoool .Maybe even City .

Home advantage ?
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Jim sorry should have included the minus figures as well .. So it's walk ups , freebies, tourists , away dans and of course ....... Minus TPP
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

cockney farmer wrote:and of course ....... Minus TPP
Indeed .

I'll be on here every home match thread calling out anyone who has supported the move but finds another reason not to go to a game .
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

TPP
Your correct in pointing out that the club can and would hope to shift their free ticket allocation I n early league cup ties, if no home cup tie happens they cannot wait to January in the hope of a less than glamorous home f.a cup draw, as this may not materialise too, they surely must have a ticket policy before the season starts, they may not want to give wholesale tickets away at cat A games due to the revenue they would hope to generate, this means cat B games could in theory have way above 5000 freebies per game.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

e10 hammer you cling to the notion of Cat A and Cat B games but we have no certainty any such concept will exist .

Stripping it back to basics , regardless of whether it is a LC game, FA cup game or PL game the fact is at some matches where many fans are asked to pay some sort of fee others will be given free entrance .

Think back to the £5 for the mates of brave Sir Robin fiasco and the ill feeling it created .

Which brings me to ST's .

Can the model survive the move .We saw an attempt at marketing the "big six" concept this year and you can expect much more of that sort of thing plus, perhaps the bundling of good games with crap games .

Reading posts on here many appear to believe there will be cheaper tickets for all at the OS , but they fail to square the circle with how the club will generate more revenue if that is the case .
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

TPP
You are quite correct, we have no idea what the pricing policy will be, but the one thing we can be sure of is we will be sitting near someone with a free ticket apart from you of course. I have never subscribed to this idea of moving to generate more income, how? When we are giving away thousands of tickets, paying £2,000,000 per year rent, and as some say selling thousands of cheap tickets, and with no guarantee of selling out the stadium every game.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

e 10, the rent is not an issue, it roughly matches the interest payments the club pays on it's debt so one cancels out the other .

To be honest I'm not sure how much the club have really thought through this whole relocation other than it was a golden opportunity for the shareholders to be able to sell off the Boleyn and use the proceeds to pay off a huge chunk of the debt, thereby removing from them the covenants they signed up to when they bought the club for a song.

They have given away the farm to get the keys at almost any price and on any terms .

Will any naming rights income come to West Ham United ?

Will the matchday income be significantly higher than now ?

Will the club be the direct beneficeries of any third party activities ?

How much more money - as a result of the new stadium - will flow into the Managers budget ?

The shareholders will get the debt monkey off their back but what will the fans get other than a longer walk to the station and further to walk to a car parking place ?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1975 likes
Total likes: 1464 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

the pink palermo wrote:
Reading posts on here many appear to believe there will be cheaper tickets for all at the OS , but they fail to square the circle with how the club will generate more revenue if that is the case .
Didnt you know there is a Sheikh or Oligarch waiting in the wings for when we move to the AS, that is going to plough billions into the club! 8-)
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

As a Newham resident, I'd consider going every now and again if I had access to reasonably priced seats. I still remain cynical that the Stadium will become a solid home for a Premier League club.
Estuary
Has liked: 249 likes
Total likes: 112 likes

Post by Estuary »

btajim - mcfc wrote:As a Newham resident, I'd consider going every now and again if I had access to reasonably priced seats. I still remain cynical that the Stadium will become a solid home for a Premier League club.
The cheapest will see a family of four, two under 16 get in for £50.
Grandad Hammer

Post by Grandad Hammer »

I think those that doubt whether or not the directors will be able to fill the OS should look at there track record at Birmingham - if memory serves my correctly (and at my age there is no guarantee of that) I think you will find that from crowds of circa 8,000 when M'Lady Brady and Messrs Daves took over, to virtually full stadiums when they sold out. We have an extremely astute board, they are self made and will make it there mission to fill the ground and under those circumstances I have no doubt that they will.