SAB Stadium Migration Meeting

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Mr_Andersonn

Re: SAB Stadium Migration Meeting

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

Rocketron wrote: This is an interesting point. How are supporters going to be segrgated at the stadium?
As far as I'm aware there are no existing ways to keep the away fans totally enclosed.
I believe the away fans were going to be in the upper tier in the south west corner of the stadium so I reckon they will just filter home fans in from the seath east end of the stadium and the away fans in from the south west end of the stadium.

It shouldn't be too much of a task to put some barriers up and put some stewarding in place.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

Mr Andersonn
If you are correct the lowet tier of the southwest corner will be the worst area in the stadium as there will be no concourse facilities for them, they will be filtered to other areas, not too good at half time and the end of the game, they may as a solution be given seats in the upper and lower tiers as is done at other grounds.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Mr_Andersonn wrote:
I believe the away fans were going to be in the upper tier in the south west corner of the stadium so I reckon they will just filter home fans in from the seath east end of the stadium and the away fans in from the south west end of the stadium.

It shouldn't be too much of a task to put some barriers up and put some stewarding in place.
That's a relief to hear, and a sensible approach!

I also sincerely hope that don't put a 'family' section in any area of the Lower Tier.

It's absolutely vital that being closest to the pitch, the 19,000 capacity Lower Tier is allocated to the 'atmosphere generating' hardcore fans. I'd imagine STHs / Members would easily sell this out every year.

Keep the family areas, the tourists and the day-trippers in the Upper Stands!
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

WestHamIFC wrote:
That's a relief to hear, and a sensible approach!

I also sincerely hope that don't put a 'family' section in any area of the Lower Tier.

It's absolutely vital that being closest to the pitch, the 19,000 capacity Lower Tier is allocated to the 'atmosphere generating' hardcore fans. I'd imagine STHs / Members would easily sell this out every year.

From the info and plans I have seen over the last couple of years that's what I believe will happen, although I am 99% certain that there will be an amendment of some kind to the plans!
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

There will be a family section that will probably be increased in size of the section we already have, spurs, arsenal and chelsea to name a few all have family sections on their lower tiers and to suggest that only hardcore support should have lower tier seating is wrong, i am sure we have hardcore supporters in our family area who have been attending for many years probably with their kids and now grandkids, why should they be moved to the worst areas of the stadium.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 808 likes
Total likes: 3025 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Mr_Andersonn wrote: although I am 99% certain that there will be an amendment of some kind to the plans!
What plans are those then ?

I thought they were still top secret , double probation ....
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

WestHamIFC wrote:

The "atmosphere generating hardcore fans" will move to wherever the away fans. I see no problem with giving a proportion of the lower tier to families. Let's face to the lower tier is too shallow to produce any atmosphere anyway, will be just like TBL/Chicken Run is now.
hammers1954

Post by hammers1954 »

[[/quote

What plans are those then ?

I thought they were still top secret , double probation ....[/quote]

They'll be the detailed plans on the LLDC planning website
Grays

Post by Grays »

Behind the goal in the upper tier would be perfect for a 'singing section' as with Napoli, but most of it will be closed off which ruins that idea. Whole things a mess IMO.
Grays

Post by Grays »

That's one of Napoli's Curvas, would have worked well for us I reckon.
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

Grays wrote:Image

That's one of Napoli's Curvas, would have worked well for us I reckon.
Good point maybe they should keep one end open as it is?
Grays

Post by Grays »

I think that would work best, make them cheap seats and I'm sure the atmosphere will look after itself.
Doubt the lower tier will be workable for this sort of section, reckon the prices will be too high along with being too isolated from the roof meaning the sound will pretty much dissipate.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

I was in the third row of the upper tier of napolis ground for the quater final of the world cup in 1990 against Cameroon, no one up our end of the ground could see who scored our first goal, we could see roughly what happened but who crossed it and headed it was all a bit of mystery, I was 23 and hadnt gone as blind as I am now

We had to ask a caribineri, who got on his radio and told us ot was platt

One of the main reasons I will never go to a running track ground all italia 90 was

However I'll turn up if we can set fire to it like they are in that picture
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 808 likes
Total likes: 3025 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

hammers1954 wrote:They'll be the detailed plans on the LLDC planning website
Thanks .

I've looked and got the message "unavailble" .

Or maybe you could provide a link that works .
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Or maybe you could provide a link that works .
Or maybe the club could...being as its all so exciting.

I reckon the plans will be released in the middle of May, probably Monday the 12th.
WHUTerry

Post by WHUTerry »

Thanks to everyone who've either posted comments on this thread or have DM'd me.
We're pulling together feedback (due next Friday) so this is a final call for any thoughts or comments. Here again are the questions.

Season Ticket Holders

A. What can be done to enhance the Season Ticket to ensure it remains a premium product at the Olympic Stadium?
B. Is it your intention to bring people with you? (i.e. group with existing season ticket holders /new supporters currently not season ticket holders).
C. If able to view and select seat online would you?
D. If you came to a sales centre what would you want to see there?

West Ham Members

A. What can be done for you to consider upgrading to a season ticket?
B. If you could recreate the membership offering at the Olympic Stadium, what benefits would you like to see? What should be the cost of membership? Would there be different types of memberships for ticket purchasers, affiliation to the Club, youth?

All Supporters

A. What loyalty programmes have you seen at other sports clubs, and what benefits?
B. How can we engage with key groups (e.g. locals schools, sports teams, youth clubs etc.) to give them the opportunity to come to games at the Stadium?
C. Apart from “kids for a quid” what can be done to encourage and develop the younger fan base?
D. What can be done to increase attendance for supporters in the 17 to 25 year old age range?
DD
Has liked: 1 like

Post by DD »

WHUTerry

In response to your questions, I answered in the category that I'm currently in ie member

West Ham Members

A. What can be done for you to consider upgrading to a season ticket? - better pricing and the Club actually caring about the atmosphere in the ground and seeking feedback on how to improve it (not bubble machines)
B. If you could recreate the membership offering at the Olympic Stadium, what benefits would you like to see? money off tickets, money off merchandise, links with local cafes/pubs for deals there What should be the cost of membership? up to £50 would be fair I think Would there be different types of memberships for ticket purchasers, affiliation to the Club, youth? I reckon youth, youg adult (but up to 25), OAP, unemployed & Armed Forces

All Supporters

A. What loyalty programmes have you seen at other sports clubs, and what benefits? - money off tickets in bundle format, priority points for members who attend numerous away games, as well as STHs
B. How can we engage with key groups (e.g. locals schools, sports teams, youth clubs etc.) to give them the opportunity to come to games at the Stadium? - er, by talking to them
C. Apart from “kids for a quid” what can be done to encourage and develop the younger fan base? see above, having a presence in the community should see to that.
D. What can be done to increase attendance for supporters in the 17 to 25 year old age range? - make it affordable, market the atmosphere in a non-tacky way, sections of unreserved seating so they can bring their mates (as you could back in the day!)
WHUTerry

Post by WHUTerry »

Cheers DD. :thup:
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Terry, I know I sent you some responses but one thing that I think we as fans need to keep hammering home is the atmosphere from the current band 4 seats in the BML and TBL. If the club are serious about creating a "kop" at the side of the OS and actually want some atmosphere the price for those seats should be the equivalent to the current band 4 (cheaper if possible ;) ), thereby moving the current BML. TBL and Chav corner to there. If they are dearer and the cheap seats are in the upper tiers (for example) we will end up with a quiet "kop" and a stadium as quiet as the Emirates.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

[Here again are the questions.

Season Ticket Holders

A. What can be done to enhance the Season Ticket to ensure it remains a premium product at the Olympic Stadium?

Decent prices, not the 1000 we expect for Band 1 and a free pie
1st dabs on seats, after corporate and bondholders I presume

B. Is it your intention to bring people with you? (i.e. group with existing season ticket holders /new supporters currently not season ticket holders).

Existing people where I sit have dicussed all moving together

C. If able to view and select seat online would you?

I think seeing in person is best, online could be misselling, do a few open days to view with cardboard players on the pitch

D. If you came to a sales centre what would you want to see there?

Access to the actually seets to check the view, not some pictures