os seating

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Re: os seating

Post by HammerMan2004 »

For every fan that isn't keen on going to the OS, there's probably another who'll find it easier to get to games at the OS. The fan base will be fine and we'll get good size crowds.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote:For every fan that isn't keen on going to the OS, there's probably another who'll find it easier to get to games at the OS. The fan base will be fine and we'll get good size crowds.
The key to good crowds will be what happens on the field, either success or entertainment (whatever that means).

If you have lost the habit of going regularly (or never had it) you have found other things to fill that time and can be difficult to regain it. Finding it easier to go doesn't necessarily mean they will actually go, I know quite a few that can get there a lot quicker than I can who changed their reasons when questioned.

The key will be season 2 or 3, once the euphoria of the new ground has worn off, for instance will STHs start picking and chosing because it is easy to pick up tickets for popular games? If ticket prices are similar to now will sales hold up? I'm assuming that the club have plans in place and are working hard on prices, but if it continues to be KFAQ and family deals they will piss off a large segment of the regular matchday attending fanbase whilst not attacting enough regular replacements.
likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by likemydreams »

HammerMan2004 wrote:For every fan that isn't keen on going to the OS, there's probably another who'll find it easier to get to games at the OS. The fan base will be fine and we'll get good size crowds.
You sound like Brady , People are forgetting that its the west ham faithful that help make this club different from the rest ! So forgetting what we have already and thinking you can just replace them is dangerous territory
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

likemydreams wrote:You sound like Brady , People are forgetting that its the west ham faithful that help make this club different from the rest ! So forgetting what we have already and thinking you can just replace them is dangerous territory
Maybe Brady makes the occasional good point though??

A lot of the West Ham faithful have moved out of East London and into the surrounding boroughs or even further into Essex now so they will definitely find it a lot easier to get to Stratford. Those who have not moved out can hop on a bus or take a tube for a few stops and get there just as easy as they can get to Upton Park. I think we will regain more fans than we will lose in all honesty.

There are tens of thousands of life long West Ham faithful fans along the train line between Liverpool St and Southend Victoria or Colchester or even Cambridge. Towns like Romford, Brentwood, Billericay, Wickford and Basildon are all huge hot beds of West Ham fans. Chelmsford is another huge target area for us now too.

Basically anywhere in dark blue on this map...
http://www.anglonautes.com/travel/voyag ... _train.jpg

These fans won't be day trippers, or tourists, they won't change the demographic of our fanbase, they will be life long West Ham fans who will all now be able to reach the ground in under an hour from their local train station as opposed to a two or three hour trip full of overcrowding or heavy traffic.

The stadium design and viewing distances I can understand people having an issue with but in terms of the location... sorry but it is a no brainer, we have to move there!
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

They'll come if we're any good, could hardly give away a spare last season
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Pop Robson wrote:They'll come if we're any good, could hardly give away a spare last season
Again, a lot of that is due to the ball ache of getting to (and more relevant, from) our ground. It is fine for those of us who can make a day of it, get there early, pitch up in a pub and then do the same post game until the crowds have all gone.

Obviously team performance has a huge amount to do with it, saying that, there were many spares at Man City tonight for a game that pretty much crowned them champions.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

sutts07 wrote: There are tens of thousands of life long West Ham faithful fans along the train line between Liverpool St and Southend Victoria or Colchester or even Cambridge. Towns like Romford, Brentwood, Billericay, Wickford and Basildon are all huge hot beds of West Ham fans. Chelmsford is another huge target area for us.
Wouldn't dispute that but I reckon there's more along the Fenchurch Street/District line.

Barking, Dagenham, Hornchurch, Upminster, Grays, Ockendon, Basildon, Tilbury, Southend Central will all now be that little bit further away just as some of the towns you mention will be that little bit nearer.

6 of one half a dozen of the other.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

sutts07 wrote:Again, a lot of that is due to the ball ache of getting to (and more relevant, from) our ground.
Sutts, can you name another football ground in London that has better transport links than Upton Park?

I don't know of one.

It's within comfortable walking distance of three tube stations. These tube stations are all on the same line with links to overground at either Barking or West Ham.
It's on many bus routes and nearby to others.
It's within comfortable walking distance from two major A roads. These roads are closely linked to the motorway system. (Last time I checked, the Boleyn Ground is only two or three sets of traffic lights away from Scotland!).
It has ample nearby street parking - within a 15 minute walk.

In comparision with other London football grounds, transport is not an issue.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

The old mile end
You are spot on regarding the transport links, this has never been an issue untill the olympic stadium move, as you mention other london clubs have far worse travel links and have increased their capacity or are planning to, i don't know anyone who has ever said i am not going to west ham because the travel is a pain, the majority attendance at the olympic stadium will be the loyal fans that have always attended regardless of their travel arrangements.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Travel is something the club have used as a selling point for the OS, conveniently without actually looking at the facts - and taking advantage of the District Line closures a year or two ago - which were a one off upgrade.

Some will gain, some will lose.

A big difference will be getting from stadium to station. Three stations walkable in 20 minutes from Boleyn, two of which have no queues to enter. I doubt we will get to the outside of Stratford station in 20 minutes, let alone onto the platforms.

It is not a 2 minute walk from Stratford station to the OS - that is another lie that Iw as told by someone senior at West Ham.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

In fairness there are loads of public transport options at the OS . Loads . They will, in the main , involve a 20 min walk from bus stop to stadium or platform to stadium .Getting away will see some queuing to get on to platfrom 8 and 10 at Stratford if heading East to the mid Essex zone .

Those traveling to South Essex will have one stop on the Jubilee to West Ham where they can pick up the C2C .

No real dramas , but no real benefits either due to the longer walk to the stadium .

The real issue will be parking , with limited parking in the vicinity of the stadium . Westfields will not want people parking in their place and shopping at the ground .

I am not convinced the club will attract a single additional supporter as a result of the so called improvement in transport links .As TOME has pointed out , the current links are already some of the best if not the best in London .
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

The C2C runs into Stratford doesn't it??
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

I thought the c2c service ran from fenchurch st through west ham and the service from Stratford to Southend was the great Anglia service, I think you have to change at romford to connect with the c2c, I may be wrong though.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

uptonparkhurst wrote:

No, mate - it probably means we are about to sign Victor Moses! :)
Racist.
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

e10hammer wrote:I thought the c2c service ran from fenchurch st through west ham and the service from Stratford to Southend was the great Anglia service, I think you have to change at romford to connect with the c2c, I may be wrong though.
The C2C line can go into stratford, it shows that on the route map on the trains. It ran there during the Olympics, remains to be seen if they run when we're there though.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

"London Liverpool Street is used as an alternative London terminus by a limited number of early morning and late evening weekday services calling at Stratford[21] and when engineering work blocks access to Fenchurch Street. This route runs over part of the London Overground Gospel Oak to Barking line, however trains pass through Woodgrange Park station without stopping"

ie its possible but not likely to be laid on. Anyway its only a 15 minute walk from West Ham station.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

sutts07 wrote:
There are tens of thousands of life long West Ham faithful fans along the train line between Liverpool St and Southend Victoria or Colchester or even Cambridge. Towns like Romford, Brentwood, Billericay, Wickford and Basildon are all huge hot beds of West Ham fans. Chelmsford is another huge target area for us now too.
!
Stratford to west ham station, change to district, 2 stops Upton park.
10 minutes,
If there not coming now because of 10 extra minutes, will they really come, and keep coming.

It's a fallacy that people don't come because of transport and transport ease is no reason to support the move
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Faubert's Boot wrote: The C2C line can go into stratford, it shows that on the route map on the trains. It ran there during the Olympics, remains to be seen if they run when we're there though.
On weekends they are running trains on C2C through Stratford, I believe it is a permanent service of a weekend
War Pony
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by War Pony »

C2C cuts through manor park to get to stratford, missing out romford
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Other than a few early morning and night services C2C trains don't stop at Stratford, although in the last two years some weekend trains in the weeks before Christmas have been diverted via Stratford to serve Westfield. No one has said that they will do this for West Ham games. They might but even if they do I suspect that it will still be quicker to walk to West Ham than to queue up to get into Stratford station.