Parking at the OS

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Parking at the OS

Post by Pop Robson »

The LLDC have a documented strategy to discourage West Ham fans from parking close to the Olympic Stadium when we move there in two years time.

https://www.westhamtillidie.com/posts/2 ... ium-please" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shirley they'll be some sort of drop for the disabled and old folk ?

10 train lines for everyone else or numerous bus routes.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2903 likes

Re: Parking at the OS

Post by the pink palermo »

Pop Robson wrote:The LLDC have a documented strategy to discourage West Ham fans from parking close to the Olympic Stadium when we move there in two years time.

Yet again, as some of us predicted .

To be fair David Gold said from the off how little parking would be available , but there's an awful lot who won't jump on a train if they have been used to going in their car.

People from Bristol, Brighton, Northampton, Wales ........
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

There is no street parking in stratford its permit holders only, the nearest would be leyton where they have permit parking mon to fri, but i wouldn't be surprised if they extend it to saturdays as they did for the olympics, anyone who wants to drive it will still involve a train journey or pay heavy car parking fees. I think now they have a plan to stop you parking at westfield don't be surprised if they stop you drinking in the bars at westfield too, they won't want football fans gathering in large numbers around the shoppers.
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

With the improved public transport to the Stadium as an alternative will this anymore problems than are faced presently and could never be addressed at the Boleyn especially if the capacity was increased there?

Most people probably park anything up to a 25 minute walk from the current ground now and such a walk from the Stadium would still find you street parking in and around West Ham/Plaistow areas easily. Also surely those that do drive can park in any number of places like Ilford/Romford from the East or Canning Town/Silvertown from other areas where they can finish the journey by public transport.

For those with disabilities I am sure arrangements will be in place to accommodate them in accesing the venue, there were even bigger restrictions were in place for the Olympics and it didn't seem to inconvenience those attending more than any other stadium.

I really don't see this as a big deal considering the alternatives available at the stadium and the current parking provisions now.
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

e10hammer wrote:There is no street parking in stratford its permit holders only, the nearest would be leyton where they have permit parking mon to fri, but i wouldn't be surprised if they extend it to saturdays as they did for the olympics, anyone who wants to drive it will still involve a train journey or pay heavy car parking fees. I think now they have a plan to stop you parking at westfield don't be surprised if they stop you drinking in the bars at westfield too, they won't want football fans gathering in large numbers around the shoppers.
Believe me as much as retailers might think customers will be put off, bars won't want to be turning away £1k's of business so I am sure that will not happen and if does cause a problem I am sure a compromise will be made amongst the businesses at Westfield quick swiftly.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1975 likes
Total likes: 1464 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

The title of this thread alone makes me smile.

Dont worry though, there are plenty of train/underground stations to take an age to get to. Im predicting an extra 40min to get home (unless you live in the area).
Last edited by westham,eggyandchips on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 933 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

I will be interested to see what they do with local area parking. My fiance's Grandparents live 15 mins walk from stratford station, the parking restrictions are residents only 08:00-18:30 monday - friday but during the games it was same times just 7 days a week. That would be awful if they did that because would mean having to buy more parking permits for his family to visit on weekends (which is free at the moment) however I wouldnt mind the restrictions they seem to do around our current ground which is fine on a normal saturday but match days isnt. Which makes more sense
mushy
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 833 likes

Post by mushy »

Much of Newham is already Monday to Saturday restricted parking, with the rest sure to follow.
Same with any of the stations near the stadium such as Leyton,leytonstone and Wanstead.
There are already moves to restrict parking on Saturdays in these areas.
Parts of Canning Town currently dont have CPZ schemes, I would guess these are the nearest spots, as long as Newham dont extend the schemes.
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by clawhammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:The title of this thread alone makes me smile.

Dont worry though, there are plenty of train/underground stations to take an age to get to. Im predicting an extra 40minto get home (ununless you live in the area).
You cannot be serious! The parking near UP is a nightmare...we park at Barking and bus the last bit....and the queues for public transport are a nightmare. The OS is transport heaven compared. I would love to see your calculations as to where you think the 40 EXTRA minutes are going to come from. I have been at the stadium when 80000 were there and it was all very smooth. I live at Billericay and I would calculate more like 40 minutes less.
likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by likemydreams »

the club could always let season ticket holders park behind the goals just like chelsea did !
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

I park 5 minutes from the turnstile every week, I always drive and am very worried how far away I am going to have to park.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

Saludo de carlitos
You will still be able to park where you park now, only easier!
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

e10hammer wrote:Saludo de carlitos
You will still be able to park where you park now, only easier!
e10, you might be the man to ask.

I've been thinking about where the closest place to park the car would be if I wanted to take a walk into the Olympic Park from the Leyton/Spitalfields/Eastway end? I can't really think of the closest place to leave the car other than Asda or maybe round the back of the dealership on Ruckholt in which case I might as well just walk from home!
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

Aztec hammer
You have pretty much nailed it regarding asda,, ruckholt road area, I haven't been over the hackney/bow side of the stadium since they developed the area but would imagine it may be permit parking, as Leyton station area is Mon to Fri, if you go weekends its easy to park by Leyton station and go the one stop, I would think permit parking may be extended to Saturdays once we occupy the o.s, as was the case during the Olympics.
P.s Asda does have a time limit, 3 hours I think.
The_Cheadley
Total likes: 1 like

Post by The_Cheadley »

There's no way they'll be able to stop you parking at westfield. How on earth would they know anyway? It's a shopping centre with loads of carparks, it's perfect. Besides, that's will be where the wife will be when I'm at the game with the kids. This move is going to cost me a fortune :lol:
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Imagine having to take your missus football with you :lol:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1975 likes
Total likes: 1464 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

clawhammer wrote: I live at Billericay and I would calculate more like 40 minutes less.
You honestly think it'll take less time getting home from the OS than it does now from the Boleyn?! :shock:

How do you plan on making the journey quicker??
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

Although I am against the move purely because I believe the seating arrangements will be poor amongst other things, there is no disguising the fact the move will be better for those who put travel before the stadium, billericay to Stratford trains every 20 mins, a 24 min journey and £12 return, those who wish to drive I still think you will get nowhere near the stadium, Westfield already have plans to use a parking system of validating tickets during events, o.k for those bringing wives who are happy to shop for a few hours.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by brownout »

e10hammer wrote:Although I am against the move purely because I believe the seating arrangements will be poor amongst other things, there is no disguising the fact the move will be better for those who put travel before the stadium, billericay to Stratford trains every 20 mins, a 24 min journey and £12 return, those who wish to drive I still think you will get nowhere near the stadium, Westfield already have plans to use a parking system of validating tickets during events, o.k for those bringing wives who are happy to shop for a few hours.
Some of those - not all.
The many who travel on C2C from stations west of Southend or on the District Line from stations west of Upminster will have a longer journey, with either a change at West Ham or a 20 minute plus walk.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

Brownout
You are quite correct, travel will not be a one size fits all, just as it now, I am not sure and you may know, but it was said on a different thread that c2c went to Stratford during the Olympics, but the end result will still be the same, better travel for some, worse for others, probably worse parking, and a worse stadium.