Parking at the OS

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Re: Parking at the OS

Post by brownout »

I don't recall C2C running via Stratford for the Olympics but for a few weekends before Christmas some trains call at Stratford rather than West Ham, to serve Westfield. I haven't heard anything to suggest that this will be done for football though. It might but if it is being discussed one would have expected the club to have mentioned it.
easthammer2

Post by easthammer2 »

Trains that serve The OS

Im pretty sure there will be no parking in the area , I went to the games , and to be honest , the dispersion of people getting to and from the park wasnt an issue.

These trains all serve Westfield , so add 15-20 mins walk max to the OS , but its not a difficult walk.

Tube
Arrive by Tube and you won’t have far to walk. The Central line, Jubilee line, DLR and London Overground all serve Stratford station, and the main exit is conveniently located at the entrance to Westfield Stratford City.
It is just 8 minutes to Liverpool Street, and 13 minutes to Canary Wharf.
The Central line links to the north east to Epping & to the west to Ealing, via London. The Jubilee line routes through London via Canary Wharf, London Bridge & Waterloo.

Docklands Light Railway (DLR)

There are Docklands Light Railway stations at both the Stratford Regional Station and Stratford International Station – both are within a few minutes’ walk of the centre.
To the east, north-east and south-east the DLR serves Stratford, Beckton and Woolwich Arsenal respectively. To the south, the DLR serves Docklands, Greenwich and Lewisham. The DLR connects with the London Underground network at Stratford, Bank and Tower Gateway (Tower Hill) stations and also at Bow Church, Heron Quays, West Ham, Canning Town and Canary Wharf. The DLR connects with the London Overground at Stratford and Shadwell.

OverGround
London Overground services operate on the North London Line from Stratford Regional station, which serves as the service terminus.

It operates on the following routes:

• Watford Junction to Euston
• Richmond/Clapham Junction to Stratford
• Gospel Oak to Barking
• Highbury & Islington to Crystal Palace, West Croydon & New Cross

National Rail
58 trains per hour stop at Westfield Stratford City's two railway stations. This includes high-speed services from Stratford International, connecting you directly to London St Pancras (for the Eurostar) and stations in Kent via the high speed rail line HS1 (High-Speed 1). Meanwhile, Stratford Regional Station provides East Anglia and c2c routes around the southeast.
From Kent and London St Pancras
Domestic high speed services (High-Speed 1) operate at Stratford International Station connecting to Kent destinations and London St Pancras. Destinations in Kent served include Rochester, Margate, Dover Priory & Birchington-on- Sea, all via Ebbsfleet. Some services are joined or split at Ashford.
From East Anglia and Liverpool Street
Rail services at Stratford Regional Station operate to various destinations in East Anglia, north-east London and to Liverpool Street to the west. Destinations served include Shenfield, Stansted, Norwich and Harwich Town.
danm79
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 94 likes

Post by danm79 »

Is the pathway to West Ham tube still in use, used that route all the time when going to the olympics?
hammers1954

Post by hammers1954 »

If you mean the Greenway, yes it is open. Although I think I saw in the planning application there will not be any bridge over Stratford High Street, just upgraded pedestrian crossing.

Check out the planning application transport section and you'll get a good idea on the approach being taken towards private cars. Looks like my visitor parking permits may come in handy come August 2016!
easthammer2

Post by easthammer2 »

danm79 wrote:Is the pathway to West Ham tube still in use, used that route all the time when going to the olympics?
Yes , but they stupidly removed the bridge at the end of WH station, for the olympics , it took the strain of the crowds from the interchange out through the only exit at WH station.

This would actually benefit dispersal as at WH station there is only one narrow staircase up and down from DL and C2C , that bridge was a great idea.
brownout

Post by brownout »

easthammer2 wrote:Trains that serve The OS

These trains all serve Westfield , so add 15-20 mins walk max to the OS , but its not a difficult walk.

[.
15 - 20 minutes - I was told a couple of minutes from the station to stadium by someone senior at the club. Could they possibly have been stretching the truth?
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

It is a good 15 min walk from the station to the nearest side of the stadium and 20 mins to the other side of the stadium, a pleasant walk in the summer months, but the winter may be different as the area is very open to the elements.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

e10hammer wrote:It is a good 15 min walk from the station to the nearest side of the stadium and 20 mins to the other side of the stadium, a pleasant walk in the summer months, but the winter may be different as the area is very open to the elements.
Won't this eradicate pretty much all of the time savings that the better transport links are supposed to deliver?
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2430 likes
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

James P wrote: Won't this eradicate pretty much all of the time savings that the better transport links are supposed to deliver?
Some of us may have said this before ;) In fairness it takes the same sort of time to walk to Plaistow as I expect it to take to walk to a station from the OS.
brownout

Post by brownout »

That's what I said to the person at the club - and they told me don't worry as it's only a couple of minutes walk.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

As I and others have said on numerous occasions the walk from the stadium to Stratford station is not far off the walk from Upton park to either plaistow or east ham, and if 54,000 people think they are going to breeze into Stratford station think on, the reason it worked during the Olympics is because people stayed around the park and staggered their journeys, it will be different when everyone heads the same way at the same time.
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

e10hammer wrote:As I and others have said on numerous occasions the walk from the stadium to Stratford station is not far off the walk from Upton park to either plaistow or east ham, and if 54,000 people think they are going to breeze into Stratford station think on, the reason it worked during the Olympics is because people stayed around the park and staggered their journeys, it will be different when everyone heads the same way at the same time.

Wasnt there 80000 people leaving in one hit at the end of the morning session before the afternoon session of another 80000 came into the stadium? 160000 in total!

Also wasnt there thousands of tourists and people from the morning session just hanging around for the atmosphere, this on top of all the Westfield shoppers etc? In the summer too.
One lot of 50000 fans predominantly in the winter sounds a lot less to me.

We shall see eventually but I cannot see how it can be worse...... IMO.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

Eastsider
You are correct with your figures, but as you say thousands were hanging around from the morning session, and obviously not heading to the station in masse, as we know there is never any trouble travelling to a stadium no matter how big the numbers, its after the event when people want to go straight home,as you point out during the winter months fans will not be hanging around the park but heading to the station. As you say we shall see eventually.
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

e10hammer wrote:Eastsider
You are correct with your figures, but as you say thousands were hanging around from the morning session, and obviously not heading to the station in masse, as we know there is never any trouble travelling to a stadium no matter how big the numbers, its after the event when people want to go straight home,as you point out during the winter months fans will not be hanging around the park but heading to the station. As you say we shall see eventually.

Fair comment e10 you may well be right! :crest:
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Rocketron »

e10hammer wrote:Eastsider
I think there will be a fair few that don't do that.
Unlike Upton Park, Stratford gives the opportunity for supporters to meet up with their wives for a meal rather than rush home.
After all, we're all on £60k pw.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2903 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

James P wrote: Won't this eradicate pretty much all of the time savings that the better transport links are supposed to deliver?
Hampshire Hammer wrote: Some of us may have said this before ;) In fairness it takes the same sort of time to walk to Plaistow as I expect it to take to walk to a station from the OS.
I've just used google maps .

From Stratford bus station to the far side of the OS is 1.1 miles and they say a 23 min walk

From the BG to East Ham underground is 1.1 miles and a 22 min walk .

From BG to Plaistow underground is 1.0 miles and 20 min walk

So, that's the transport links myth exposed .
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

The pink palermo
Thanks for clearing that up, and as i have pointed out, for those who fancy a cheap pint a 30 min walk from stratford broadway.
919er

Post by 919er »

For a cheap pint, the Carpenters Arms, 10 minutes from the OS under the railway bridge down Carpenters Rd. Builders Arms, 15 minutes walk, the same way.
919er

Post by 919er »

For a cheap pint, the Carpenters Arms, 10 minutes from the OS under the railway bridge down Carpenters Rd. Builders Arms, 15 minutes walk, the same way.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

Decent information' but these pubs are still a 30min walk from station to pub to stadium.