Why no OS on the new badge?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bubblesthechimp

Why no OS on the new badge?

Post by bubblesthechimp »

I understand some of the support do not want the move, but the fact remains we ARE moving. The Boleyn will be no more in a few seasons, as sad as that may be - and the OS will be our new home for the next 100 years at a minimum. That is no short amount of time, in fact it is almost as long as we have been at the Boleyn and numerous generations of fans will grow up only knowing the OS as our home. It also happens that this stadium is already iconic and may propel us to the 'next level'.

Surely the OS now justifies as much a place on the new badge as the castle did, or does, and the crossed hammers?

Or maybe I am wrong.

Probably.

I am probably wrong...

But maybe not.
a86

Re: Why no OS on the new badge?

Post by a86 »

I personnally don't mind if the badge incorporated the OS. however the west ham badge should have the two crossed hammers as the most important feature.

http://adamswhufcbadges.blogspot.co.uk/ ... adges.html

here is some i done before, look at the very last one. i designed that based on the roof structure of the OS.
bubblesthechimp

I agree that the crossed hammers should be the prominent feature. I really like your designs actually.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

I could see it we owned the damned thing, but we don't.
bubblesthechimp

a 100year lease is pretty much ownership. If you bought a 100 year lease on a flat you would refer to it as yours. You get nearly all rights afforded under ownership with a long-term lease and we are getting it at a steal and with reduced financial risk. I have also seen it in full flow during the Olympics and the place is going to be wild with the new stands, the roof and the noise us hammers will make in there. In two years we will move in and will be in there until every current member of this website is dead. :crest:
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Give your head a wobble!
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

I can't think of a club with a logo of their ground on their badge and I don't think we should be the first ...especially as we are the tenants.rather than owners.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

WCpete wrote:I could see it we owned the damned thing, but we don't.
A fairly important point, lest it be overlooked.
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

a86 wrote:I personnally don't mind if the badge incorporated the OS. however the west ham badge should have the two crossed hammers as the most important feature.

http://adamswhufcbadges.blogspot.co.uk/ ... adges.html

here is some i done before, look at the very last one. i designed that based on the roof structure of the OS.
At first glance they look a bit like a Nazi paper aeroplane
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

We are moving there, that's enough surely
TheOrgazoid
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by TheOrgazoid »

Yeah why not! Whilst we are at it, West Ham United is a bit of an old fashioned name, why don't we go for London Olympic? The hammers too are a bit past their sell by date, a couple of crossed dildos would be a lot more modern and forward thinking. I for one can not wait to take my seat at the new Ann Summers Stand at the new stadium.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

bubblesthechimp wrote:I understand some of the support do not want the move, but the fact remains we ARE moving. The Boleyn will be no more in a few seasons, as sad as that may be - and the OS will be our new home for the next 100 years at a minimum. That is no short amount of time, in fact it is almost as long as we have been at the Boleyn and numerous generations of fans will grow up only knowing the OS as our home. It also happens that this stadium is already iconic and may propel us to the 'next level'.

Surely the OS now justifies as much a place on the new badge as the castle did, or does, and the crossed hammers?

Or maybe I am wrong.

Probably.

I am probably wrong...

No you're absolutely wrong. The Boleyn castle is an indelible part of our history and history is developed over time. :crest:

But maybe not.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

Which other team has a picture of their stadium on their badge?
Will be silly to add it.

Have the crossed Irons and be done with.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

How long were Coventry supposed to be at The Ricoh Arena for?
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

bubblesthechimp wrote:a 100year lease is pretty much ownership. If you bought a 100 year lease on a flat you would refer to it as yours. You get nearly all rights afforded under ownership with a long-term lease and we are getting it at a steal and with reduced financial risk. I have also seen it in full flow during the Olympics and the place is going to be wild with the new stands, the roof and the noise us hammers will make in there. In two years we will move in and will be in there until every current member of this website is dead. :crest:
Would you still think that if you only used it 25 days of the year and you had to let other people use the flat.
We don't own, or lease, we get no income from what goes on there, it's more like a time share if you're comparing it to property.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Where will the club be based?
The head office, the ticket office, the club store, the admin staff etc...??

Will we be letting out office space or will they all be based at the OS??
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

WCpete wrote:I could see it we owned the damned thing, but we don't.
Up the Junction wrote: A fairly important point, lest it be overlooked.
I don't think I missed that point .I'll check through my notes :D

FWIW I am not too worried about us not owning a stadium , the truth is the Boleyn has been mortgaged to the hilt and pledged to the banks for 20 years so we no longer truly owned that .

The vast majority of clubs in Europe do not own their own ground - something like 72% rent them .

However the trend is for those clubs that played behind a running track to move out of those grounds into proper football stadiums .

Our fans appear happy to be shat on and offered up second class fare at top dollar pricing .
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

sutts07 wrote:Where will the club be based?

I don't know about the office space mate but they've already said they are building a separate ticket office / club store at the entrance that is exclusively ours!
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

sutts07 wrote:Where will the club be based?

Do the club's offices have to be at the stadium, I can see having a ticket office and club shop there but the offices can be anywhere.

As to the original question, I don't agree with putting the OS on the badge - for one thing the club need to be able to copyright the badge and there might be issues with the OS image. When a company undertakes a major move they should be emphasising links with the past IMO and therefore they should be looking to the Thames Ironworks and crossed hammers imagery rather than the OS.