'Raise the roof'

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Re: 'Raise the roof'

Post by hadleighhammer »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:Those the club want to attract will be the first to find another excuse not to go...
This. A ST won't be needed to ensure a ticket for the big games. Wigan at home on a cold Tuesday in February empty despite being a Cat D game, but with 1000s suddenly able to afford Sp*rs at home 3pm Saturday in the summer at Cat A**** prices....

That image of the BG/OS is depressing, although similar was mocked-up over a year ago for everyone to see.

I'll stick to the away games up North. They can shove the plastic tourist trap that will be the OS. I'm 29 so not sure if that makes me a dinosaur?
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Diddums?

Youre beyond parody. I think ill stick to WHO on this now. Just as many if not more on there that can't muster an actual debate, but at least they can do it With a modicum of humour.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2905 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

gavrosh wrote:Diddums?

Youre beyond parody. I think ill stick to WHO on this now. Just as many if not more on there that can't muster an actual debate, but at least they can do it With a modicum of humour.
We all have choices in life .

What I find interesting is this site has over 17,000 registered readers , yet finding anyone who is strongly in favour of the move is like trying to find someone that voted for Thatcher in the 80's .

Good luck at WHO though .I'm sure you will find lots of like minded souls over there .
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by brownout »

Clearly this site is unrepresentative as 85% of fans voted for the move.
Perhaps the SAB is more representive after all as according to Ms Brady 100% were in favour.
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

I have a circle of about 30 family or friends who are regular attendees at home matches and I can honestly say not one has voiced a strong view as being against the move, additionally other fans that sit around me the Alpari every game have neither expressed such an opinion.

Many have reservations yet equally as many are enthusiastic about it but what nearly all agree on is that on balance there are more reasons to go than stay so it is a decision the club have probably got right and it is up to us to make the best of it.

It is coming on this board with my personal experience on how fans feel about the move that I find some posters views somewhat surprising, though I totally understand not everyone will being perfectly happy with The Olympic Stadium with totally justifable reasons cannot those posters accept that is likely that the majority of fans for many reasons be it personal things transport, facilities, finances or just for the club to compete believe will be better by leaving The Boleyn?

The Olympic Stadium will not be perfect but neither is the Boleyn and despite what some might feel there is very little prospect in the near future making any those problems better whereas the Olympic Stadium does have a realistic chance and thinking like that I find it pretty plausible 85% are in favour of the move.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 914 likes
Total likes: 1902 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Actually Pinky might be a dinosaur.

Looks like he plays golf...
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Dwight1970 wrote: I have a circle of about 30 family or friends who are regular attendees at home matches and I can honestly say not one has voiced a strong view as being against the move, additionally other fans that sit around me the Alpari every game have neither expressed such an opinion.
Dwight , I fully accept that and have been honest enough to express similar views in the past : Most people around me are not strongly against the move, infact some have expressed a strong preference to move .Some blokes that drink in my pub , regular attendees with a long history are genuinely excited by the move .Good for them .
Dwight1970 wrote: Many have reservations
Based upon a lack of real information ? Certainly that's the case of many I speak with .
Dwight1970 wrote: The Olympic Stadium will not be perfect but neither is the Boleyn and despite what some might feel there is very little prospect in the near future making any those problems better whereas the Olympic Stadium does have a realistic chance and thinking like that I find it pretty plausible 85% are in favour of the move.
Here I am afraid I disagree , based mainly on conversations with other fans .Most will accept the move , frankly their only choice is to stop going, but very few have said they are keen .Some, yes, but nowhere near 85% and in my experience not even 50% .

Doc - currently I don't .
Dwight1970

Post by Dwight1970 »

Pinky your last response is the kind that surprises me as I literally know no one against the move amongst quite a broad spectrum of people, that is why I find hard to believe anything more that say 10-20% feel that way.

I posted earlier that I think many underestimate the lack of affection towards the whole matchday experience at the Boleyn Ground nowadays which for the amount of money spent on it offers pretty poor facilities to the vast majority of us, combine that with the increase of fans traveling from afar which hasn't been matched by an equal improvement of the transport infrastructure and finally pretty average commercial facilities in the immediate vicinity for football fans.

I what I am trying to explain is that a significant number tolerate the Boleyn Ground nowadays and a move away appeals to them for that reason, of course the Olympic Stadium has it faults but for many the positives it offers make it a preferred choice over remaining at Upton Park hence why there has been no real groundswell to stay there even if the OS is far from perfect.

Finally some others who might not be so anti-Boleyn accept the argument that the for the club progress on the field the move is necessary.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Dwight , I understand that for some , possibly many, the Boleyn certainly isn't what it used to be and possibly is a bit of a pain in the arse .Midweek games, hassle to get home if the tubes are knackered and the area looking a touch "tired" .

The problem of course is if the Boleyn is the problem people need to ask if the OS is the solution .

I feel many will be disappointed when we move .Our one chance to upgrade and we won't .

I would have accepted a move to Stratford had the stadium been purpose built for football .I'd have shared with another club - seriously , every other game I watch us play is in someone elses ground , but the Olympic stadium was built for Athletics, and no amount of wraps,slogans and marketing inititives will make it a stadium fit for football .

The Board had their hearts set on it .They've had to give away the farm to get the keys and forever more we'll be miles away from the action, following the game on a big screen .

If you can't see the ball what's the point of going ? It has always been about the distance with me and they cannot square the circle .That's the problem, and one I fear many fans will experience when they get there.
Dwight1970

Post by Dwight1970 »

Pinky, I understand you reservations but personally speaking for many years at home games I could only see one goal clearly from the North Bank so not seeing all the action will not be a first for me.

In all seriousness you might be proved right that many will be disappointed but don't underestimate how underwhelmed many are by the Boleyn Ground nowadays and the improvements they experience might be enough for accept the one obvious flaw with the Olympic Stadium.

Maybe if the club hadn't made such a pigs ear of the redevelopment at the present ground a lot more of us would be reluctant to move and equally others more demanding of what they want of the new stadium but ultimately with the restricted transport access and the growing alien local surroundings maybe it was simply time to move regardless and Stratford is as good a place as any and the Olympic Stadium with all it's faults it too good an opportunity to miss to get out of Upton Park.
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

brownout wrote:Clearly this site is unrepresentative as 85% of fans voted for the move.
Perhaps the SAB is more representive after all as according to Ms Brady 100% were in favour.

I personally believe 85% is too high and not representative but 64% voted for the move on this sites last vote....
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2430 likes
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Dwight1970 wrote:I have a circle of about 30 family or friends who are regular attendees at home matches and I can honestly say not one has voiced a strong view as being against the move, additionally other fans that sit around me the Alpari every game have neither expressed such an opinion.

Many have reservations yet equally as many are enthusiastic about it but what nearly all agree on is that on balance there are more reasons to go than stay so it is a decision the club have probably got right and it is up to us to make the best of it.
Talking to a number of people who are in the BML I've come across a spectrum from "The club have to do this to move forward and I trust the Dave's to provide a great stadium" right the way to "It will be the death of the club". Quite a few are concerned about view and atmosphere, as well as prices to get a view as good as we have now. One thing I do know, unless I get a job as a steward I will not be able to get the view I have now in the OS (We are in row J just to one side of the goal) I may be able to get a view that I find just as good - until they publish price bands I'll remain sceptical about what their plans are.

I agree that all we can do is embrace the move and try to make it work, I'm not convinced that the club are considering the views of the fans though.

I've only personally spoken to one STH who has vowed to never set foot in the OS, most say they will give it a go even those who think it will all go tits up.
spyinthesky

Post by spyinthesky »

War Pony wrote:Gav is right! I wont be posting here again! I posted that to give people who were 'interested' an insight into how the roof will be installed

I couldnt care if he has been the every single game! I'll have my season ticket alot longer into the future than most due to my age i assume! Hence the dinosaur comment.

Everyone I know cannot wait for the move, an most of us are early to mid twenties
I actually looked to see that post, because it does actually interest me, though will probably get dissed for daring to say it. But then I am one of those who after many years of can't be bothered any more because what seemed anything but good ol days in the 60s are and has been for years, the only good all days to look back on. I might actually go to watch again when we move, if I can afford it least it will be a day out as an outcast in North London and easy to get to with a nice environment when you do get there. Cant bring myself to go to the ground as it is now in an area that is a depressing insult to that I grew up in and the appalling travel restraints inherent in that site. Yes the East Stand (the dump I had my season ticket in) could be rebuilt to make the ground pretty decent but it will do nothing to reverse the inevitable decline of this club in that area where everyone has to be 'bussed in' and there is even less ability to park than I suffered, because so many more are forced to drive and restrictions all the greater, than when I started going in the 60s. Stratford was a dump in my childhood but it is now heaven to the dump that are the surrounds of Upton Park sadly is now. At least even with all its concerns the OS leaves room for some hope and progress over embarrassing deterioration into relative non existence by the simple fact that all our kids are becoming Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and Mancs fans because having a suffering father or grandfather is no longer a good enough reason to support this under-performing institution when you are based out in Essex or elsewhere. That glimmer of hope is something I have had for some 40 years now (25 for a move to stratford haven seen the potential) and I for one am glad to see even a glimpse of that possibility having been worn down over the years and knowing that the days when players were interested in gloomy down market football lives for the love of their club is long gone.
spyinthesky

Post by spyinthesky »

the pink palermo wrote:Dwight , I understand that for some , possibly many, the Boleyn certainly isn't what it used to be and possibly is a bit of a pain in the arse .Midweek games, hassle to get home if the tubes are knackered and the area looking a touch "tired" .

The problem of course is if the Boleyn is the problem people need to ask if the OS is the solution .

I feel many will be disappointed when we move .Our one chance to upgrade and we won't .

I would have accepted a move to Stratford had the stadium been purpose built for football .I'd have shared with another club - seriously , every other game I watch us play is in someone elses ground , but the Olympic stadium was built for Athletics, and no amount of wraps,slogans and marketing inititives will make it a stadium fit for football .

The Board had their hearts set on it .They've had to give away the farm to get the keys and forever more we'll be miles away from the action, following the game on a big screen .

If you can't see the ball what's the point of going ? It has always been about the distance with me and they cannot square the circle .That's the problem, and one I fear many fans will experience when they get there.
I can sympathise with that view, but then those like me were out voted when we had the opportunity to support a move to Stratford all those years ago. So I have to say I have less sympathy towards those with anti views now when that wonderful opportunity was spurned and now we have a second best solution on offer I accept. But surely better than staying where we are which represents a slow inevitable death no matter how much bad money is thrown at it after the 'good'. The redevelopment was a total waste of time and money, because of that previous short sighted decision that the fans helped make but people just couldn't see it wanting to stick with what they knew without thinking about the future. Fact is if we had moved back then we could now have gained all the advantages of location without the disadvantages and grown with the area there as our present location declined.
Dwight1970

Post by Dwight1970 »

spyinthesky, I think a lot more fellow fans hold similar feelings towards the Boleyn Ground as you do than those against the move seem to realise, which is why in my opinion despite the obvious flaws in the Olympic Stadium there has never been a real groundswell amongst our supporters against the move.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

the pink palermo wrote:
A proper debate ?

You're a funny guy .Stick to whatever your day job at the club is .

All I have ever wanted was a proper debate .What we got was a dodgy survey , passed off as a poll, by a teller of untruths .

You may want to sit in a crap stadium within a stadium , thousands of empty seats either side of you , miles away from the pitch, unable to see the ball and following the action on a big screen .

But it's not for me, and mark my words it won't suit thousands of others either .

When the club is desperately trying to sell tickets to unfashionable games in years to come who they going to call ? Blokes like you who never go anyway or blokes like me and others who go week in week out home and away ? The difference is in future they'll find I'm playing golf .

Who the ****ing hell do you think you are with your "don't post" comment ? Anything to stop a debate , anything to silence the critics .

Thought I'd pop in to see if anything had changed.

All standard I see, people who have said from day one that they aren't going, trying to ruin it for the people who are.

Don't you get bored?
the pink palermo wrote: If you can't see the ball what's the point of going ? It has always been about the distance with me and they cannot square the circle .That's the problem, and one I fear many fans will experience when they get there.
Depends on your eyes Pinkie, People who went to the Olympics and sat in the top tier saying they could see perfectly.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

The Rebirth wrote: Depends on your eyes Pinkie, People who went to the Olympics and sat in the top tier saying they could see perfectly.
How many balls were they watching?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

The Rebirth wrote:All standard I see, people who have said from day one that they aren't going, trying to ruin it for the people who are.
How can I ruin anything ? I'm offering my opinion on a website .I'm not suggesting anyone else should stop offering their opinion and I'm neither forcing or pleading with anyone to read a single word I post on here .
The Rebirth wrote: Don't you get bored?
Nope.
The Rebirth wrote:
Depends on your eyes Pinkie, People who went to the Olympics and sat in the top tier saying they could see perfectly.
My very point about me not having a problem with other people posting their opinion .Their opinion is the view was fine , my opinion, having sat at the front of the upper tier is it wouldn't be .

Quite simply I won't be a cheer leader for something I believe will not be good for the club .I'm not stopping anyone else who wants to to be one though .
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 2059 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

The Tour de France passes the Olympic Stadium tomorrow (Monday 7th), so we should get some shots of the building works :thup:
braindead

Post by braindead »

I'm a bit of a lurker on the forums, but have been lurking for a while.

I'm interested in seeing how the stadium turns out. May not be the best for football, but will be interesting. Looking forward to roof going up and it looks like an amazing structure.

The only thing is that every time I got into a thread to read it always seems like the thread gets massively off topic based on what the thread is about. TTP seems to always turn up and rather than discuss what the thread is intended for, just gives his opinion over and over again. I think anyone who has been on here knows his opinion. I'm not saying that his opinion isn't valid, but it's gets annoying to see new posts being posted in the threads I am interested in being hijacked by constant off topic rambling about how rubbish everything is. Happy to read about something constructive and opposite to my own opinion, but half of his replies have nothing to do with the thread. May as well start is own thread "Don't want to move the Olympic Stadium, It's all lies, come hither and rant with me"

The irony isn't lost on me about my own rant above having nothing to do with the roof, so just to be on topic; I know the roof is due to completed before the rugby world cup, but does anyone know when they will start raising it?