The 20,000 'redundant' seats

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Re: The 20,000 'redundant' seats

Post by Knighter10WHU »

HamburgHammer wrote:Ah, right Pink, Moenchengladbach are indeed a fine club and their "new" ground (ten years old now) is a beauty, 54.000 capacity, a stunning football stadium, modern, yet with a great atmosphere, wish we had the same at West Ham. Unfortunately we haven't, but need to make the best of the OS.
Although I'm still confident that the fans can do a lot to enhance the atmosphere although the whole OS is obviously far less than ideal, especially compared to proper grounds like Moenchengladbach's ground.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadion_im ... adbach.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

F*ck sake - this is exactly what we should be moving into, not some sh*tty converted Athletics stadium. In a bad mood now.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

It is great, innit ? The fascinating thing is that Moenchengladbach have often been compared to West Ham as being a club with great history and fans, a fine style of football, but being perennial underachievers.
Moenchengladbach also used to be a lot of German fans' second club, just like we used to be in England.

Imagine that Gladbach stadium kitted out in claret and blue and we'd have a vast majority on this forum uniting behind moving into a new stadium. I still wonder if and how our owners are gonna make the OS work for us and bring the fans onside. Can you imagine only 25.000 fans rattling around in that massive bowl ?

Frightening...
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Too two or three rows at the too are going because of the new roof so that accounts for a small amount of it. However there is the ability to add some extra seats at the top of the lower tier at the ends in the same way they're planning on the east. Won't solve the gap problem but would at least go some way to. Longer terms in filling the space made for the screens has to be the priority to make it look like a proper stadium. I'm still shocked they didn't do it. Some excuse about not having anywhere else suitable to put them.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Knighter10WHU wrote: this is exactly what we should be moving into, not some sh*tty converted Athletics stadium. In a bad mood now.
At a construction cost of 87 million euros you'd be hard pressed to build the car park in this country, but I can't imagine anyone could disagree with a stadium like that. Unfortunately we just can't afford the London based equivalent.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

gavrosh wrote:Too two or three rows at the too are going because of the new roof so that accounts for a small amount of it. However there is the ability to add some extra seats at the top of the lower tier at the ends in the same way they're planning on the east. Won't solve the gap problem but would at least go some way to. Longer terms in filling the space made for the screens has to be the priority to make it look like a proper stadium. I'm still shocked they didn't do it. Some excuse about not having anywhere else suitable to put them.
My point was really that those seats won't be missed or noticeable as they wont need to be covered or sat spare due to the structural and construction modifications needed to accommodate the new roof.
There will also be a fair few thousand seats left behind / underneath the stands pushed forward behind both goals. This is needed to reduce the large radius of the track curve that the stands will now sit on top of.

The gaps you talk about at either end don't need to be fully filled with seats in my opinion. Just a small section that links both upper and lower tier placed centrally in the space will definitely work. If this were to be done the screen would only need to be hoisted a few metres and would only obscure the front rows of the upper tier, which in my opinion look pointless due to the screening of the seats behind. So if they tapered the screening to allow seating either side of a slightly hoisted screen a] you wouldn't lose further capacity, b] you would lose gapping.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Believe it or not I got an email back from the chief architect at populous about this. He said moving the screens up isn't double as the roof gets in the way of some peoples views of the screen. Sounds like a total cop out to me.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

gavrosh wrote:Believe it or not I got an email back from the chief architect at populous about this. He said moving the screens up isn't double as the roof gets in the way of some peoples views of the screen. Sounds like a total cop out to me.
The roof line will dip down a fair bit when refitted. It all depends how much the screen needs to be raised. I'm suggesting that the screen only needs raising up to the level of those front seats of the top tier, I know that has to be visible due to the fact that those people sitting in those seats I'm talking of, will be able to have a view of the screen at the other end.
A disappointing cop out like you say, but really not rocket science them or even expensive for LLDC / Newham / club.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

the fact remains that the plans are done and finished but the club are holding back on them in conjunction with the LLDC.
approx 3,000 seats will be lost from the stadium to accommodate the new roof, i think its due to the extra supports required.
that leaves 77,000 seats from the original capacity. i asked the LLDC for the exact number of seats that ill be left in the stadium, they have refused to answer.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 937 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Does it matter if we lose a few thousand seats at the top?

Far more concerning is the fact that there are only about 3,000 people behind each goal!
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

Doc
You say there will be approx 3000 seats behind each goal, which means thousands of supporters who sit behind the goals now will be relocated to either more expensive seats or worse view seats, I still think seats behind one goal will be a family stand as we already have at Upton park, and seats behind the other goal will be away support due to segregation problems. Of course the club could issue information to challenge these views, but I won't be holding my breath.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

Edited, double post