20 minute walk from the station..?!?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

20 minute walk from the station..?!?

Post by Yea Why Not »

I've heard a number of people suggest the OS is a 20 minute walk from Stratford Station. I found it to be around half that and have to say, I really liked the walk way up to the stadium

Am I an unusually fast walker or have others thought the same?
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Re: 20 minute walk from the station..?!?

Post by WHU_Del »

Me and the missus did it in less than fifteen, and she walks with a stick!
I suppose it depends which way you go, though. The 'simple' way - out the front of the station, over the bridge to Westfield, along the 'street' bit outside, cross over the road and through the park could conceivably be twenty minutes depending on how busy it is.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

WHU_Del wrote:Me and the missus did it in less than fifteen, and she walks with a stick!
I suppose it depends which way you go, though. The 'simple' way - out the front of the station, over the bridge to Westfield, along the 'street' bit outside, cross over the road and through the park could conceivably be twenty minutes depending on how busy it is.
Save time go the back way through the station
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

If I was still living in London, I'd be about 20-25 minutes walk from the OS. That would have suit me fine instead of jumping on a packed district line full of vultures!
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

the quickest route from the station, which actually was a bit of advice I got from someone working in the park on Friday, is to come out at the Westfield exit and instead of trying to walk through the centre, do an immediate left. This takes you over the flyover and into the south of the park in well under 10 minutes. Only thing is the pavement there is very narrow and unless they close off traffic on a matchday it'll be carnage.

Best route via stratford high street is through the carpenters estate and a little tunnel there which takes you straight into the park.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

It'll probably take 20mins on a match day to get from your seat to the station or Vic versa.

Maybe more if your up in row 75
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

gavrosh wrote:the quickest route from the station, which actually was a bit of advice I got from someone working in the park on Friday, is to come out at the Westfield exit and instead of trying to walk through the centre, do an immediate left. This takes you over the flyover and into the south of the park in well under 10 minutes. Only thing is the pavement there is very narrow and unless they close off traffic on a matchday it'll be carnage.

Best route via stratford high street is through the carpenters estate and a little tunnel there which takes you straight into the park.
But as the of above shows there will be dedicated routes for people to walk, you may not have the choice, the just wont let football fans arriving at the station just walk where they want
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by brownout »

I measured the distance from the Boleyn to East Ham today. It is exactly one mile from my seat in the BML to the platform at East Ham. It took us 21 minutes from seat to platform.
I hope to be proved wrong but will be very surprised if it will take less time than this from OS seat to Stratford platform.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

Bml to east ham 18 mins
Stratford central line platform to hoardings outside o.s 13 mins, add another couple of mins to nearest part of stadium.
Both at a steady pace.
I expect the return from o.s to Stratford station to take longer than the 18 mins to east ham on match days though.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

Double post
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

e10hammer wrote:Bml to east ham 18 mins
Stratford central line platform to hoardings outside o.s 13 mins, add another couple of mins to nearest part of stadium.
Both at a steady pace.
I expect the return from o.s to Stratford station to take longer than the 18 mins to east ham on match days though.

What's the queue like to get on the District Line tube @ East Ham after the match?
brownout

Post by brownout »

What's the queue like to get on the District Line tube @ East Ham after the match?

There is never a queue at East Ham. Just walk straight into the station and down the steps to the platform. I can't see there being no queue at Stratford.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

Westhamlfc
There is no queue at east ham, you wouldn't know a match had taken place, and if going westbound a seat on the train,been going home this way for years, people would rather queue at Upton park than walk, then moan about travel issues, for those who believe the non existant travel issues have been addressed at the o.s, will have the walk that I have been doing for years.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

brownout wrote: I can't see there being no queue at Stratford.
I can. Instead of all travellers cramming onto a single line (District) as they currently do, the crowds would be split between those using various different routes:
  • ~ Central Line
    ~ Jubilee Line
    ~ DLR
    ~ London Overground
    ~ National Rail towards Liverpool Street
    ~ National Rail towards Shenfield
    ~ National Rail towards Southminster
    ~ National Rail towards Southend
    ~ National Rail towards Braintree
    ~ National Rail towards Clacton
    ~ National Rail towards Walton on the Naze
    ~ National Rail towards Cheshunt

Also I guess some locals will use buses. Stratford is a major bus terminal serving several different routes, this would dilute the concentration of numbers even more.

Logically that should make queues far less likely travelling out of the OS..
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

e10hammer wrote:Westhamlfc
There is no queue at east ham, you wouldn't know a match had taken place, and if going westbound a seat on the train,been going home this way for years, people would rather queue at Upton park than walk, then moan about travel issues, for those who believe the non existant travel issues have been addressed at the o.s, will have the walk that I have been doing for years.

Thanks. Although I guess if folks went to East Ham instead of UP, then queues might subsequently be created there.. :wink:
brownout

Post by brownout »

~ Central Line
~ Jubilee Line
~ DLR
~ London Overground
~ National Rail towards Liverpool Street
~ National Rail towards Shenfield
~ National Rail towards Southminster
~ National Rail towards Southend
~ National Rail towards Braintree
~ National Rail towards Clacton
~ National Rail towards Walton on the Naze
~ National Rail towards Cheshunt

Sorry to be pedantic but these aren't really all different routes. You can add Ipswich / Norwich, but for example Walton & Clacton are the same line as Norwich until Colchester, and the same line as each other until Thorpe-le-Soken.

As for queues - It is the capacity of the station entrance(s) that is at least as important as the number of platforms. Plans for the stadium show roads blocked off and queuing area which suggests they expect queues.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 2059 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

It's about thirty five minutes brisk walk to Canning Town after the game, so I'll be quids in at Stratford.

That's assuming I'm not priced out, can see the pitch etc.etc.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

I'd imagine on the day for many people it'll be easier to go to West Ham station and get onto the sewer bank (by then known as West Ham Way) and walk leisurely in from there.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2905 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The whole queuing outside the station thing has been the biggest load of tosh in this whole propaganda campaign run by the club .

East Ham, Plaistow .....both easy walks, no queues .

The Athletics stadium has multiple transport links, of course it has, but getting into the station and on to the platfrom is a problem at pretty much every stadium .........as anyone who has gone to SDF will testify, or twickers , or wembley .........Stratford won't be any different .

Get used to it .