20 minute walk from the station..?!?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

WestHamIFC

Re: 20 minute walk from the station..?!?

Post by WestHamIFC »

brownout wrote:Sorry to be pedantic but these aren't really all different routes. You can add Ipswich / Norwich

No need to apologise, I had indeed neglected to add Ipswich and Norwich to that list, which will dilute any queues further still.

Additionally the point has also been made about crowds who will also choose to not even go to Stratford station but instead walk to West Ham, Pudding Mill Lane, Stratford International, Stratford High Street or Hackney Wick stations.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

LLDC planning document
The assessment identifies that with a number of scenarios , particularly for exiting crowds,
Public transport capacity is likely to be inadequate in so far as public transport plans may be constrained,the event management plans, travel plans and measures to encourage crowd retention ( or early arrival ) would all be important contributors to balancing demand with available capacity.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

the pink palermo wrote:The whole queuing outside the station thing has been the biggest load of tosh in this whole propaganda campaign run by the club .

East Ham, Plaistow .....both easy walks, no queues .

The Athletics stadium has multiple transport links, of course it has, but getting into the station and on to the platfrom is a problem at pretty much every stadium .........as anyone who has gone to SDF will testify, or twickers , or wembley .........Stratford won't be any different .

Get used to it .
Plaistow is **** if you're going West as the tube is packed, great for going East though.

I walk to Canning Town and go that way, Stratford is an easy walk to West Ham tube or jump on the DLR to Canning Town from Pudding Mill
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

Pudding mill lane station was closed during the Olympics far safety reasons and may well be for football, much the same way Holloway road (nearest station to the emirates) is closed for football and other events, Hackney wick station was exit only during the games and west ham station is a good 25 mins walk.
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

The walk from West Ham station is just about manageable on a decent day, although too far for many to manage, and will be horrendous on a wet & windy Tuesday night in winter.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

I have been to pudding mill lane station and it has changed beyond recognition, large platforms east and west bound, with huge entrances and exits to the station, and only 2 mins from Stratford by dlr and 5 mins walk to the south side of the stadium, not sure how it will work match days as there are no ticket barriers or staff in attendance, getting to the stadium will be easy, but they will have to control the crowds somehow afterwards, I must say it certainly seems the quickest way to the stadium and a good plus point.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2430 likes
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

The Rebirth wrote: Plaistow is **** if you're going West as the tube is packed, great for going East though.
What rubbish, we always walk to Plaistow and rarely have an issue. It was busy after the Liverpool game because less people were slipping away early I assume.

I agree that there are plenty of stations within walking distance of the OS.
WHURS

Post by WHURS »

If people need to go to West Ham and don't fancy the walk or Stratford for the jubilee line is too busy, their best option would be go the the international station and get the DLR from there, it that takes you straight down to West Ham. I think the international is closer as well.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1975 likes
Total likes: 1464 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

brownout wrote: I can't see there being no queue at Stratford.
:lol:
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

e10hammer wrote:LLDC planning document
The assessment identifies that with a number of scenarios , particularly for exiting crowds,
Public transport capacity is likely to be inadequate in so far as public transport plans may be constrained,the event management plans, travel plans and measures to encourage crowd retention ( or early arrival ) would all be important contributors to balancing demand with available capacity.

I guess that means the bars in the halo will stay open after the game? Personally I've never seen the point of bolting to the station to avoid the queue when you can go for a few beers after to talk about the match, so. Id be all for that.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

When the Emirates opened, their event management plans called for measures to control the number of people leaving immediately - they got O2 to sponsor £2 a pint in the bars at the end of a match!
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 155 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Wembley1966 wrote:When the Emirates opened, their event management plans called for measures to control the number of people leaving immediately - they got O2 to sponsor £2 a pint in the bars at the end of a match!
Good idea if there is a game on Sky/BT afterwards to watch, but just standing around an empty stadium seems pretty soul destroying to me.
whizzer
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by whizzer »

e10hammer wrote:LLDC planning document
gavrosh wrote:I guess that means the bars in the halo will stay open after the game? Personally I've never seen the point of bolting to the station to avoid the queue when you can go for a few beers after to talk about the match, so. Id be all for that.
Spot on Gav
The only queing I currently do after our games is in the supporters club! Will find similar at the OS
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

I just read on a TFL document that the improvements made to Pudding Mill station will increase capacity to 20,000 an hour, specifically for the stadium crowds. I'd imagine therefore that the plan is to get as many fans as possible in there, which muct be a 5 minute walk to the stadium. The job then will be how to stop problems at Stratford with the fans shuffling to the DLR platforms from what will be Crossrail and the Central line.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

oh and just with regards to capacity etc, this is an interesting document

http://planningregister.londonlegacy.co ... -36156.pdf

It notes that capacities above 60,000 will require road closures - something that Westfield of course would massively object to. The stadium can currently host upto 58,000 comfortably, but above the temporary toilets would need to be installed. Seems a bit short sighted.

As to the retention of fans, it notes the following:

Retention of Event Goers Measures
The Stadium Travel Plan will include proposals to maximise the attraction/retention of event
goers in the Stadium before and after events. The provision of high quality facilities combined
with an entertainment package should encourage earlier arrival into the Stadium and later
departure following any major event which will ease pressure on facilities outside of the
Stadium and assist in achieving the modal split by easing pressure on public transport at
peak times.

A tenant may have commercial objectives to retain a proportion of the event goers after the
event has finished.
Measures that could be implemented by the Stadium may include:
Pre Match
 Discounts on drinks and food within the stadium
 Discounts on drinks and food within the wider park area for ticket holders
 Discounts on drinks and food within the Westfield Shopping Centre for ticket holders
 Linked offers for stadium ticket holders at other attractions in the park, including the
Orbit
 Soft-start pre-event entertainment such as youth matches, community events etc.
Post-Match
 Hospitality packages that encourage people to remain in lounges after the event,
including food and drink provision, player appearances, post-match talks and
presentations
 Club shop to remain open after games, including offering shirt signings and other
promotions to ticket holders
 Highlights of the match shown on big screens, starting 10 minutes after the event
finishes
 Highlights of the event shown in bars and concourses after the event
 Post-match entertainment

All sounds quite promising.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

There will be no trains from pudding mill lane or hackney wick to stratford after events.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Well that's clearly how they intend to stop the problem of a crush from fans coming into stratford from those two stations.

So unless youre going westwards, youre either looking at the walk to West Ham or the wait at Stratford. Hence why I think massive effort will be put into retaining fans onsite with booze sales, highlights, interviews and so on. Which is of course a good thing for the club's finances too. Or i guess you could hot foot it to the carpenters road and get back onto stratford high street for your pint there before waiting for the crowds to dissipate. Or indeed go westbound from pudding mill, get to bow road, and then you've either got the option of the one stop westbound to get the central line at mile end or carry on eastbound on the district.
sutts07
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 538 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Depending on where the away fans are placed I think Pudding Mill Lane could be a very good away fans station.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

sutts07 wrote:Depending on where the away fans are placed I think Pudding Mill Lane could be a very good away fans station.
The away fans are in the south part of the stadium, so that would be quite likely for london based teams, though if theyre coming in from up north into kings Cross/ St Pancras, the HS1 line that takes 7 minutes to get to Stratford International would be an attractive option. Either way, youre looking at about 4000 away fans max coming in by train, which leaves loads of capacity available at Pudding Mill. One stop west from there is Bow Church, which is about 150 meters from Bow Road district line and close to the Bow Bells and Little Driver, which will no doubt become popular pubs for fans coming in by the route to avoid the crush in Stratford. The DLR from Bow Church to Pudding Mill takes two minutes.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

I can't see why Stratford, The International, Hackney Wick and Pudding Lane cannot handle 50K passengers before and after the game.

Chuck in those who will always drive....

Plenty of big grounds with lesser links can handle those numbers