Corporate waiting list

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

WestHamIFC

Re: Corporate waiting list

Post by WestHamIFC »

Rocketron wrote:Would people that would go as "corporate" really use the Jubilee line like the rest of us ?
LincolnshireHammer wrote: The most relevant aspect! If you can afford to go corporate you wouldn't be using the joyless London Underground!
I've been 'corporate' a couple of times @ the Boleyn and can confirm that many did indeed travel by tube. Not least because they were well over the drink/drive limit!
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Last season there was only one box available at the BG. Every other box had a regular tenant.

In terms of the bankers and lawyers ****ing from Canary Wharf upto the OS. Working for a multinational who's corporate entertainment includes; a box at the royal Albert hall, a box at Ascot, access to the pits at Williams for the British Grand Prix, a box at Lloyds, tickets for Wimbledon and Henley and a box at the emirates, I can safely say they won't be moving away from North London soon.

It has nothing to do with cost. It's just we're not glamorous enough. No one other than us wants see us play. They want to see teams win.

Edit; why does f l o c k I n g get treated as a profanity?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

RichieRiv wrote:Last season there was only one box available at the BG. Every other box had a regular tenant.

In terms of the bankers and lawyers ****ing from Canary Wharf upto the OS. Working for a multinational who's corporate entertainment includes; a box at the royal Albert hall, a box at Ascot, access to the pits at Williams for the British Grand Prix, a box at Lloyds, tickets for Wimbledon and Henley and a box at the emirates, I can safely say they won't be moving away from North London soon.

It has nothing to do with cost. It's just we're not glamorous enough. No one other than us wants see us play. They want to see teams win.

Edit; why does f l o c k I n g get treated as a profanity?
I've had that with flockin and fuckin
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2903 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

RichieRiv wrote: It has nothing to do with cost. It's just we're not glamorous enough.
I agree which is why I don't believe the target market for our corporate entertainment at the Athletics stadium will be the high rollers from Canary Wharf : they get invites to everywhere , and cherry pick the glamour stuff .

Our target market will be the staff in SME's in South Essex and East London being taken to a £150 a head lunch plus match in the pavillion .

It's the local rep taking the local buyer out for a piss up .A sizeable market , just not especially lucrative .

It will be easy enough to sell though - and that's the objective .
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

Most of the corporate stuff at the BG are those firms that are related to the constructions industry.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2903 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Richie , yeah, I know, a few in waste management and the like as well .

It's relatively local stuff though .

My firm would probably take 4 spots in a corporate pavillion - you know, ST's at £3k a pop and buy the lunch /dinner on top .

Small beer stuff ,so if you don't use them in any given week nobody cries .

Leave a £36k box half empty for half a season and people think that you have wasted money .
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

I have worked for less prestigious organisations who did exactly that. Four seats at Highbury, meet in a pub and a few beers afterwards. If your client actually enjoys their football rather than just a piss up and they like both, they'll be more than happy with that. I don't enjoy corporate football as I already go.

I've done similar at the Oval. Lunch in a gastropub in Kennington, watch some cricket, keep em oiled and hope they sign contracts.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1975 likes
Total likes: 1464 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

RichieRiv wrote:Most of the corporate stuff at the BG are those firms that are related to the constructions industry.
Ive never been corporate belonging to the construction industry. :?
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2430 likes
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

RichieRiv wrote:I have worked for less prestigious organisations who did exactly that. Four seats at Highbury, meet in a pub and a few beers afterwards. If your client actually enjoys their football rather than just a piss up and they like both, they'll be more than happy with that. I don't enjoy corporate football as I already go.

I've done similar at the Oval. Lunch in a gastropub in Kennington, watch some cricket, keep em oiled and hope they sign contracts.
I've done quite a lot of Rugby League corporate with one of our suppliers, until our yank owners it contravened their bribery rules. We used to meet in a pub for a few beers before going on for the game and back to pub afterwards. But TBH the standard of corporate was probably lower than West Ham are aiming for.
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Ive never been corporate belonging to the construction industry. :?
I have and I work in finance. I've been the guest of roofers, concreters, scaffolders, labour agencies, suppliers....

I also know people that buy 5 ST's and do corporate entertainment that way. They're dry liners.

Citibank, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Clifford Chance, KPMG, Credit Suisse, Thomson Reuters, State Street, BP are not West Ham corporations. They're Arsenal or Chelsea.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

RichieRiv wrote:Citibank, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Clifford Chance, KPMG, Credit Suisse, Thomson Reuters, State Street, BP are not West Ham corporations. They're Arsenal or Chelsea.
Correction: the West Ham that WE know is not going to attract those names. The West Ham of 2020 is likely to be a different story.
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

Yes, when we are achieving a regular top 4 finish and playing the cream of Europe on a Tuesday / Wednesday night.

I admire your optimism but unless we get ourselves a wealthy benefactor I can't see it. Both the Manchester clubs, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool have market share and I don't see that changing
Estuary
Has liked: 249 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Estuary »

I have and I work in finance. I've been the guest of roofers, concreters, scaffolders, labour agencies, suppliers....

I also know people that buy 5 ST's and do corporate entertainment that way. They're dry liners.

Citibank, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Clifford Chance, KPMG, Credit Suisse, Thomson Reuters, State Street, BP are not West Ham corporations. They're Arsenal or Chelsea.[/quote]

Rich - At least two off the above are currently clients at West Ham, so are at least one Japanese bank.
That said your premise is mostly correct, a lot of the current corporate, or more properl - hospitality, are local people made good. One sector you have all missed is the creative industries, my manor, from which we draw a sizeable custom, again mostly local people who have achieved and can afford to pay more.
As to the OS and the current status.I went to the centre to choose seats this week and am told by the guy who runs it all that all the boxes are sold, and so is the middle range hospitality, a bit under priced at £40k three year commitment was the view.
To give you some idea, there are a third more hospitality places at the OS versus current.