Support at the OS.

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Adam 'The Smudge'

Support at the OS.

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

I know there has been a lot, thought and said, on the issue of our new stadium, its capacity and the wondering where our new 18k bums on seats will originate from.
A lot out there suggest it will be the tourists who'll cop a load of the readily available 'wilsons'.
Also there is the real prospect of very high away allocations that would be snapped up by the bigger clubs.
I remember the shitty old days when Chelscum were playing in front of a few thousand for SIMOD cup games back in the 80s when they were struggling and Ken Bates made his move.
When they decided to revamp 'The Bridge' in the early 90's to its present capacity surely to god they must have wondered where they'd find the extra 15-20k who weren't already going?
Sunderland, when they left Roker Park must have wondered where they'd find the extra 28k on top of their 19k who were going?
Newcastle who'd get early 30s then shot up to 51k after St James's was revamped.
Middlesboro got about 19k at Ayresome Park then shot up to 34k.
Arsenal's Highbury sat 38k bums on seats. The Emirates holds 60 thousand.
Man Utd are probably the exception here after seeing their old capacity of 44 thousand shoot up to 76.

I don't actually think we'll find it that hard to get ourselves 45 thousand ish in to stratford?
I'm sure I saw somewhere that the club holds details of over 200,000 on their database.
I know they're are a lot of older disaffected fans who have grievances with the club but surely once we move the new chapter begins.
Its possible too that we'll recruit some new fans that don't already go to football and of course there'll be some that hold no allegiance to either club playing?

Reading about Chelsea's future redevelopment of SB to 60k and possible use of Twickenham until complete made me remember that not too long ago Chelsea were in browner stuff than us. They've done ok, Kings Road or not.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Re: Support at the OS.

Post by the pink palermo »

Edit .
Last edited by the pink palermo on Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

Let the revolution commence. :wink:
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Adam 'The Smudge' wrote:I know there has been a lot, thought and said, on the issue of our new stadium, its capacity and the wondering where our new 18k bums on seats will originate from.
A lot out there suggest it will be the tourists who'll cop a load of the readily available 'wilsons'.
Also there is the real prospect of very high away allocations that would be snapped up by the bigger clubs.
I remember the shitty old days when Chelscum were playing in front of a few thousand for SIMOD cup games back in the 80s when they were struggling and Ken Bates made his move.
When they decided to revamp 'The Bridge' in the early 90's to its present capacity surely to god they must have wondered where they'd find the extra 15-20k who weren't already going?
Sunderland, when they left Roker Park must have wondered where they'd find the extra 28k on top of their 19k who were going?
Newcastle who'd get early 30s then shot up to 51k after St James's was revamped.
Man Utd are probably the exception here after seeing their old capacity of 44 thousand shoot up to 76.

I don't actually think we'll find it that hard to get ourselves 45 thousand ish in to stratford?
I'm sure I saw somewhere that the club holds details of over 200,000 on their database.
I know they're are a lot of older disaffected fans who have grievances with the club but surely once we move the new chapter begins.
Its possible too that we'll recruit some new fans that don't already go to football and of course there'll be some that hold no allegiance to either club playing?

Reading about Chelsea's future redevelopment of SB to 60k and possible use of Twickenham until complete made me remember that not too long ago Chelsea were in browner stuff than us. They've done ok, Kings Road or not.
Success on the pitch will bring fans to the stands.

Chelsea still have to advertise some games on the radio mate but after Abromovich came in they soon started to sell out more
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

As PP so rightly says, it'll be all down to their pricing policy.

A half empty stadium at sixty quid a pop or a full one at thirty? Same ticket income, but more beer, pie and programme sales with a full ground and a much better atmosphere.

Dare they make the leap of faith?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

On Saturday the club website reminded everyone that QPR is Kids 4 a £, and we still had 2500 tickets left with a week to go before the game.

Will this be 20,000 left in a few years time ?
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

It keeps getting mentioned that the way to fill the stadium is through cheap tickets, around £30, but that's not far off the price of a band 4 season ticket now per game, and members £38 these seats are behind both goals lower tier and available normally up to match day, so how cheap have the tickets got to be to sell probably 10,000 + poorer view seats than I can get now. If they decided to sell season tickets in these poorer view areas, they would have to be cheaper than our current band 4 prices, which would take them down below £ 30 a ticket, unless of course they intend to raise all band prices before we move or when we move.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Adam 'The Smudge' wrote:I know there has been a lot, thought and said, on the issue of our new stadium, its capacity and the wondering where our new 18k bums on seats will originate from.

I'm pretty sure west ham had shitty attendances in the Simod Cup, early 85/86 season we attracted 17-18,000.
Sunderland and Boro both built new grounds due to the need to have an all seater stadium as required by law
Newcastle and Arsenal were both selling out their stadiums, arsenal though were restricted by planning permission and possibly space at Highbury, Newcastle have the added fact of being the only club in their city unlike us. Chelsea under bates had won the cup a couple of times, made the champions league I believe, but had achieved a lower level of success.
None of that though has a bearing on can we attract extra fans, real success is the only way.
The real success of the OS will be in 10 years time how the club is doing,
If we've have won trophies and qualified for Europe then possibly it will be, if we still are the same old West Ham, mid table hanger around a then I'd imagine 40,000 or less.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

In last nights Evening standard west ham are running a full page ad with only 3 weeks to the manchester city game saying tickets from £55 only 3,500 left, in two years time the ad will read only 23,000 tickets left.
War Pony
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 89 likes

Post by War Pony »

Whats tonights winning lotto numbers? Since you can see into the future 'an all that
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

3 weeks time and thousands of tickets left, that is the future, and if memory serves me right, the past as well, when we sold bundles of tickets cheaply to locals last season for the same fixture. Sorry but the lottery tickets are just a bit beyond me.
War Pony
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 89 likes

Post by War Pony »

That isnt a plausable argument really mate. There will be cheaper tickets at the olympic stadium! This argument has been done to death, I mean... who can afford £55 quid a ticket (thats without kids tickets etc)

It probably cheaper for a week in spain than it is to take the family to upton park at the moment.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

e10hammer wrote:In last nights Evening standard west ham are running a full page ad with only 3 weeks to the manchester city game saying tickets from £55 only 3,500 left, in two years time the ad will read only 23,000 tickets left.

This may have been mentioned before(!) :asleep: .. But there's the issue for you, highlighted in your own post.

Compare that, for example with West Brom, who's highest-priced matchday ticket is £39!

Or Liverpool, who lowest price is £15!!

The Boleyn would be full pretty much full every game if prices and transport accessibility were reasonable.

The OS gives us the opportunity to resolve these issues. Yes there will still be expensive tickets, but a bigger capacity also means by proportion more tickets available in the lower price band.

All pretty obvious stuff, but it appears like it needs to be constantly re-iterated on here!!
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

e10hammer wrote:3 weeks time and thousands of tickets left, that is the future, and if memory serves me right, the past as well, when we sold bundles of tickets cheaply to locals last season for the same fixture. Sorry but the lottery tickets are just a bit beyond me.
City have took 2200 tickets so they'll be a block spare again, maybe this time the club won't forget about selling them ! If not its City superstars time
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

Can the posters who have the knowledge of the cheap tickets at the o.s please like to pass on this information as my crystal ball is obviously not up to the standard of yours, the only information I have is that there will be thousands of tickets given away free to local community groups, and as we have seen before these new fans don't always have an affinity to our club.
We do just about sell out most games now but this being with all sorts of deals such as half price member games,kids for a quid and the odd freebies, my original point being will we sell out at the o.s with an extra 20,000 seats,
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

e10hammer wrote:Can the posters who have the knowledge of the cheap tickets at the o.s please like to pass on this information as my crystal ball is obviously not up to the standard of yours, the only information I have is that there will be thousands of tickets given away free to local community groups, and as we have seen before these new fans don't always have an affinity to our club.
We do just about sell out most games now but this being with all sorts of deals such as half price member games,kids for a quid and the odd freebies, my original point being will we sell out at the o.s with an extra 20,000 seats,

Depends who against I suppose let's look at a scenario v Arsenal for example 10K giveaways , 4K increased away tickets leaves only 5K for jap and Scandinavian tourists job done