West Ham United ~come on you Irons

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

West Ham United ~come on you Irons

Post by Puff Daddy »

As a long standing club member, I receive regular updates from the board on all things 'West Ham' and although some of you may have received this E Mail from Karren, some of you you may not, so for those of you who do not, below. is an article posted to me only today, regarding the OS and the plans they have in store for us: I especially like the outside of the stadium which displays 'West Ham United ~ come on you Irons:

New Stadium Newsletter - No.4

The famous Champions Sculpture on Barking Road could be set for a new home

Champions Sculpture could be set for new home

Since West Ham United were awarded the status of anchor concessionaire at the former Olympic Stadium in March 2013, the Club have been clear that the iconic venue and its surrounds will look and feel like home to the Claret and Blue Army come the Hammers' first game in 2016.

One of the key subjects of discussion by West Ham fans is the relocation of the world-famous Champions Sculpture. This week sees the start of the process to make that wish become a reality.

The sculpture, which famously sits on Barking Road, was jointly commissioned by Newham Council and West Ham United in 2001, depicting the iconic World Cup celebrations of Bobby Moore, Sir Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters and Ray Wilson.

Created by the Royal Sculptor, Philip Jackson, it was unveiled in April 2003 by the Duke of York, then president of the Football Association.

Champions Sculpture

With preparations for life at the new Stadium continuing apace, a planning application is set to be submitted that identifies a suitable spot on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park as a potential new home for the prestigious sculpture.

Subject to further consultation with Hammers supporters, local residents and councillors and the relevant planning authorities, it is likely that the 16-foot sculpture will be relocated to the Stadium Island.

The planning application, which will be submitted by the E20 Stadium Partnership to the London Legacy Development Corporation, outlines proposals for a new landmark that would not only make the Stadium site look and feel like West Ham's new home, but also continue to respect the legacy of the 2012 Games.

The Club are also continuing to work closely with Galliard Group, who are leading the redevelopment project for the Boleyn Ground, about how best to honour and respect more than 110 years of West Ham history on the site. Galliard are expected to submit a planning application to Newham Council within the next few weeks, which will include eye-catching features that celebrate West Ham United's legacy in Upton Park.

No reservations about new Stadium seat selection process

There have been rave reviews from new Club London members about their experience at our dedicated Reservation Centre in Westfield Stratford City, and the market-leading 'virtual venue' technology that has helped them select their seats.

Lifelong Hammer Lee Andrews, 25, said: "I didn't expect what I saw, to be honest, I thought it was brilliant. It's got me so much more excited to make the move and frankly I now wish we were going next season.

"I thoroughly enjoyed seeing everything up on the big screen, particularly when they showed exactly where I'll be sitting. It was great.

"If people are debating whether to go down there or not, I'd advise that they 100 per cent do. It really does give you a good insight and it's a great way of showing the fans what there is to come."

A Season Ticket Holder of some 30 years, Laurence Marshall, 46, was one of the very first to experience the Reservation Centre and he too was suitably impressed.

He said: "It's incredibly helpful. To go there and experience it allows you to get a far better feel for the Stadium. It gives you a better idea of what the experience will be at the new Stadium and the whole experience is really impressive.

"If people are concerned about where they sit and with whom they sit, spending some time with the team, who, in fairness, were very transparent and passed on a lot of information about the Stadium and the different options, is hugely important."

For Mr Marshall, not only was he able to secure a seat for himself, but also ensure that he remains with a group of friends, who have all sat together at the Boleyn Ground for many a year.

"The person dealing with me was fantastic," he confirmed. "He's a West Ham fan, very knowledgeable on what the various offerings were and was incredibly helpful in trying to get the most suitable option for myself and also to consider the enlarged group that I sit with.

"A number of us that have been sitting together for ten years and we'd said that it would be nice when we move to the new Stadium for all of us to be able to continue sitting together.

"To be honest, I explained this to the staff and they helped us get the block of seats together, arranging for people to go down and experience the Reservation Centre.

"They did a fantastic job of working with us all and we actually all said at the last home game, having now secured the seats that actually everyone has got a lot more excitement and is looking forward to the prospect of moving to the Olympic Stadium and the facilities that it's got to offer. We found it all a very positive experience."

The Club would like to remind fans that all existing Season Ticket Holders will be emailed with details of when their appointment at the Reservation Centre is likely to be early next year.

Club London filling up fast

It is not just in the Barclays Premier League that West Ham United have made a fast start, with the spectacular Club London facilities at our new Stadium filling up quickly.

When we move to Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in 2016, Club London will offer supporters the chance to watch the most exciting league in the world from the newest and most luxurious members' club in the capital.

In just seven weeks since the launch of Club London, many of the blocks of seats in the new Stadium's West Stand are already full to capacity.

The BM6, celebrating Bobby Moore's legacy, is sold out and the other VIP areas are also proving popular, with more than three-quarters of the places in The Forge 1895 lounge sold and memberships in the Royal East and Arnold Hills lounges being snapped up quickly too.

Anyone who is interested in securing a place in the Royal East or Arnold Hills lounges is advised to sign up to the waiting list without delay. To avoid missing out CLICK HERE. If you're an existing corporate customer who is yet to book an appointment, please do so today by calling 0808 110 2016.

New Stadium questions

Thanks to the many hundreds of you who responded to our invitation to send in questions about the new Stadium. The Reservation Centre, Club London and the migration of Season Ticket Holders remain the hot topics so here are answers to some of the most common questions you have been asking:

As a Season Ticket Holder, when can I expect to hear about my appointment at the Reservation Centre?
The Club will start making contact with Season Ticket Holders in Spring 2015 with details of when to expect confirmation of their own appointment.

At the appointment, dedicated advisors will help supporters select the most appropriate seat at the new Stadium for their needs using groundbreaking virtual technology.

Full details and timing of this migration process will be announced early next year.

I want to continue to sit with the group of friends that I sit with at the Boleyn Ground, but we've never officially bought Season Tickets together. How we do go about it?

It has always been a key part of the Club's thinking that the move to the new Stadium will allow fans the chance to surround themselves with their friends and family. That is an essential part of maximising the atmosphere and community spirit within our new home, and making matchdays an even more special day out.

We appreciate that for the majority of people that has been impossible at the Boleyn Ground, with key parts of the ground being so densely populated with Season Ticket Holders, whereas it is something that the extra capacity at the new Stadium will enable. Further details on how supporters can arrange their grouping will be released early next year.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 144 likes

Re: West Ham United ~come on you Irons

Post by cockney hammer »

claret and blue army playing in a black and white stadium :D
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

I think the club have a cunning plan on how to change the seats,
Perhaps they could get the fans to buy them?
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

seats at the boleyn used to be brown

that was never a problem

not fussed at all about branding, claret and blue *****...bubbles...

it never used to be important
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

cockney hammer wrote:claret and blue army playing in a black and white stadium :D
frankiemac wrote:seats at the boleyn used to be brown

that was never a problem

Hear, hear! A 'nice-to-have' rather than a deal-breaker. Much Ado About Nothing..
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

frankiemac wrote:seats at the boleyn used to be brown

that was never a problem

Agreed, this stuff was never important because we used to stand on the terraces.

Times have changed though and its about pushing the brand and bringing in the cash.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 2059 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

The crush barrier I used to lean on was white(ish) if that helps.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

we didnt all stand...

people werent moaning about the colour of the seats in the west upper

claret seats aint going to bring the money in

a decent product on the pitch and affordable seats will do it
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 2059 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Claret seats fade quickly and look very secondhand. It must be a common problem with red finishes in sunlight. VAG and Porsche in the eighties had 'Guards Red', commonly known as Guards Pink.