New stadium - Atmosphere. Wheres everyone sitting?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

hammers1954

Re: New stadium - Atmosphere. Wheres everyone sitting?

Post by hammers1954 »

e10hammer wrote:I popped into the reservations centre a week ago, I asked two questions where would the family seating area be and where would the the away support be seated, I was told by the lady on reception that they didn't know and if I was a season ticket holder I would be invited in due course, as I am a member I shall have to wait for information to be released.
I don't know about the family seating area but in the planning application it does clearly state where they away support will be. The number goes up and down depending on the requirements of the competition. I can't recall exactly where they will be but it does suggest that area will not be for home supporters.

It will be in one of the documents here
http://planningregister.londonlegacy.co ... ts%3C/a%3E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by brownout »

Unofficial standing / singing area has been raised at the SAB. The club showed little interest.
I think that if we want this it will have to be organised by like-minded fans by tickets in a certain area - but as has be said we need to see the club's plans & prices which for some reason they seem reluctant to share (strange that that they are so proud of the stadium but don't want to show us proper plans).
droshky
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by droshky »

Aztec Hammer wrote:
Do the Emirates and Etihad sections behind the goals stand all game, like we do in the TBL and BML?
Wembley1966 wrote:
My neighbour's a season ticket holder at the Emirates - they've made one end behind the goal a family area so probably all sit but at the other end they'll stand if it's decent opposition - otherwise they're bored shitless and sit!.

I went a couple of years ago for the evening game when we scored first but got mullered in the second half, finishing with 10 men and a concussed Dan Potts. Neighbour's son had school in the morning, so I borrowed his seat and "sat" with his Dad in the corner of the North Bank just like my chav corner seat at UP...mind you my boy doesn't have to pay adult prices for not being in the family enclosure!!! And that's Emirates adult, 1k?

Anyway, they stood up throughout, sang till they dropped, excellent. You'd never guess, looking from the away end where you can't hear a thing. Even they know they stand out a bit (sorry!) Moral? Dunno, I guess there'll be more of us wanting that atmosphere, but we better make sure we're not too spread out.
yeoman

Post by yeoman »

one mcavennie wrote:^^ really?? I don't believe it. Why would we not want a singing section??!!

This would make absolute perfect sense. Would be perfect! I'd snap up a season ticket in this part of the ground immediately
of all the tweets ever posted by Baby Jack or his Dad incognito this is the only one that has really interested me. the response the tweet received surprised and disappointed me. I understand the reasons that people do not want a designated singing section at a West Ham ground but realistically this is the only way that we will import any kind of atmosphere to the Olympic Stadium. I am personally against the Olympic Stadium move but having now accepted that it is going to happen no matter what I think and the fact that I do not wish to stop attending West ham games after almost 30 years I intend to attempt to create some sort of atmosphere in there! I firmly believe that this singing section idea should be explored further and definitely incorporated into the new ground! of course there is the other very valid point made by several other posters on this thread regarding ticket prices, ticket prices MUST be affordable to young adults and the working class who made the support of this great game the spectacle it once was. the FA purposefully targeted the gentrification of football in this country in their 1991 blue print for football and this has had a detrimental effect on the atmosphere at football grounds ever since.
the next point is that of being given the choice to stand while watching football, currently our standing at home matches is tolerated by the club despite being against ground regulations I unfortunately feel the club will attempt to stamp out this practice once we are in the new ground. David Gold is an advocate of safe standing and in my opinion this avenue MUST be explored with rail seating being installed behind the goals at the Olympic Stadium, alas I believe this is just a pipe dream!

I sincerely hope that we are able to create the once famous Boleyn atmosphere in the new ground!!

BOYS1991

:crest:
yeoman

Post by yeoman »

brownout wrote:Unofficial standing / singing area has been raised at the SAB. The club showed little interest.
I think that if we want this it will have to be organised by like-minded fans by tickets in a certain area - but as has be said we need to see the club's plans & prices which for some reason they seem reluctant to share (strange that that they are so proud of the stadium but don't want to show us proper plans).
Brown Out! Exactly! Nail on Head!

BOYS1991

Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 155 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

yeoman wrote:
of all the tweets ever posted by Baby Jack or his Dad incognito this is the only one that has really interested me. the response the tweet received surprised and disappointed me. I understand the reasons that people do not want a designated singing section at a West Ham ground but realistically this is the only way that we will import any kind of atmosphere to the Olympic Stadium. I am personally against the Olympic Stadium move but having now accepted that it is going to happen no matter what I think and the fact that I do not wish to stop attending West ham games after almost 30 years I intend to attempt to create some sort of atmosphere in there! I firmly believe that this singing section idea should be explored further and definitely incorporated into the new ground! of course there is the other very valid point made by several other posters on this thread regarding ticket prices, ticket prices MUST be affordable to young adults and the working class who made the support of this great game the spectacle it once was. the FA purposefully targeted the gentrification of football in this country in their 1991 blue print for football and this has had a detrimental effect on the atmosphere at football grounds ever since.
the next point is that of being given the choice to stand while watching football, currently our standing at home matches is tolerated by the club despite being against ground regulations I unfortunately feel the club will attempt to stamp out this practice once we are in the new ground. David Gold is an advocate of safe standing and in my opinion this avenue MUST be explored with rail seating being installed behind the goals at the Olympic Stadium, alas I believe this is just a pipe dream!

I sincerely hope that we are able to create the once famous Boleyn atmosphere in the new ground!!

BOYS1991

^^^ This is exactly the correct response with regards the so called singing section! Hows your BOYS1991 thing coming along Yeoman? You did some good things last season with the Hull banner and stickers etc, perhaps it should be fan led groups like yourselves that should start to implement the idea of a singing section, clearly the SAB are not going to get very far with doing that given that they are muted by the club.
1mcavennie

Post by 1mcavennie »

I believe one of the key criteria of a UEFA cat 4 stadium is that there can be no standing sections. Check that on Wiki.

There is a chance that in a few years time rail seating could be allowed in limited sections of PL grounds. If we stayed at the BG we would have been able to incorporate that into a new east stand.

There will be no rail seating allowed at the OS. The other cat 4 requirements are a certain number of VIP seats and parking paces plus a big pitch - which the OS will have.
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

Who says a stadium with a running track has no atmosphere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz_H4GVGbbs
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Geordie Hammer wrote:Who says a stadium with a running track has no atmosphere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz_H4GVGbbs
We need to make sure we hire the right type of character full of charisma to do that.

We should make an offer to Avram Grant a.s.a.p.
yeoman

Post by yeoman »

[/quote]

^^^ This is exactly the correct response with regards the so called singing section! Hows your BOYS1991 thing coming along Yeoman? You did some good things last season with the Hull banner and stickers etc, perhaps it should be fan led groups like yourselves that should start to implement the idea of a singing section, clearly the SAB are not going to get very far with doing that given that they are muted by the club.[/quote]

Knighter10 - Yeah I couldn't believe the negative response the singing section idea got on twitter. in my opinion it MUST be explored! BOYS1991 are still very active, we are producing new sticker designs soon and one of our number writes regularly for the brilliant STAND fanzine! we are looking into producing a 'safe standing' banner that the South Bank can display. we can be followed on twitter @BOYS1991
and we urge other fan groups to get involved and help recreate the famous Boleyn atmosphere!

1mcavennie

Post by 1mcavennie »

I am fully behind informal standing and singing sections (and Stand is a great publication) but of course we already have that at the BG. AND it could get even better at the BG if rail seating was accepted by the PL.

However as a UEFA Cat 4 stadium there can be no standing at the OS and the clubs focus will be on attracting day trippers who are prepared to pay £50 plus to watch club London. There is no money to be made in singing sections at the OS.

I am blissfully happy at the moment. Watching my team in fifth place from my standing singing section in our own football stadium. This is as good as it gets boys.
mushy
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 834 likes

Post by mushy »

Is there going to be a section where like minded people can stand/sit together and have a good old hearty boo?
yeoman

Post by yeoman »

1mcavennie wrote:I am fully behind informal standing and singing sections (and Stand is a great publication) but of course we already have that at the BG. AND it could get even better at the BG if rail seating was accepted by the PL.

However as a UEFA Cat 4 stadium there can be no standing at the OS and the clubs focus will be on attracting day trippers who are prepared to pay £50 plus to watch club London. There is no money to be made in singing sections at the OS.

I am blissfully happy at the moment. Watching my team in fifth place from my standing singing section in our own football stadium. This is as good as it gets boys.
BOYS1991 totally agree with you 1mcavennie, we are perfectly happy in our current home, our standing up at games being quietly tolerated by the club and if we were to stay at the Boleyn the introduction of safe standing rail seats would be perfect. alas we all know that we are moving to the OS weather we like it or not, the clubs "surveys" were always fixed to give the outcome they desired (as was the same with the badge change survey but that's another matter) so we are moving home!

the OS will be a UEFA Cat 4 stadium correct, as is the fabulous Veltins Arena that West Ham visited earlier this year and as you may know the Veltins has safe standing rail seats, the capacity in Gelsenkirchen is 61,973 League Matches where standing is permitted and 54,442 for International Matches where the rail seats are in seating mode. under this precedent rail seating and safe standing would be allowed at the OS. we can live in hope!

BOYS1991

Knighter10WHU

Post by Knighter10WHU »

yeoman wrote:
Knighter10 - Yeah I couldn't believe the negative response the singing section idea got on twitter. in my opinion it MUST be explored! BOYS1991 are still very active, we are producing new sticker designs soon and one of our number writes regularly for the brilliant STAND fanzine! we are looking into producing a 'safe standing' banner that the South Bank can display. we can be followed on twitter @BOYS1991
and we urge other fan groups to get involved and help recreate the famous Boleyn atmosphere!

As I've said before I think its the fact it's being called a 'singing section' it makes people think our support is turning into something that Reading/Fulham would churn out which is in fact the exact opposite of what people are trying to achieve.

Love the STAND fanzine, its a great publication and has certainly opened my eyes to vents going on around the country. Safe Standing banner would be a real plus point at the Olympic Stadium, but something I just can't see happening any time soon.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

one mcavennie wrote:We'll obviously all wanna get this place rocking and create an amazing atmosphere. Ok it won't be like the old days of the North bank, South bank and the Chicken Run but we'll need to do all we can to get the place jumping. It'll bore the life out of me if it turns into a library like we sometimes see at home games

The question is then, Wheres everyone going? Where you all sitting? Where's gonna be the place to go?

Season ticket or day tripper, a recognised area of some sort I think will seriously be needed. I'd suggest near where the away fans will be

Let's get the place jumping :scarfer:

Or have you not all got as far as thinking about this yet?!

The acoustics that the new images of the roof will create, and the ticket price reductions announced, are 2 steps in the right direction.

However we really need to see the 'Band Maps' (i.e. where Bands 1-5 will be located) before we can start planning an 'area'.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

We do need to plan some areas though.

I'd suggest that once we do know the bands that people who want to stand should say so, on here and other forums I guess, and buy in the same areas.
Knighter10WHU

Post by Knighter10WHU »

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd30 ... 1b85c7.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Following what NBA said on another thread I had a look through some past threads and found this - Claret area is where the away fans are expected to be allocated. No idea where fans like those in the TBL/Chicken Run would want to be now.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

man city have supposed singing sections...their atmosphere is shocking

I was talking to a man city season ticket holder the other day, he basically said when we leave the Boleyn, the atmosphere will completely go...he said that maine rd vs the new gaff is painfully different....

I explained that our place is already pretty quiet, he said that it will get even worse

so no optimism from supporters who have already been through what we have

I think the only real answer is unallocated seating / safe standing....people need to be able to congregate, with their friends, and concentrate in an area...
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Never went Maine Road, before my time, but wasn't the atmosphere there dying on it's arse anyway?

Besides I actually think Man City is alright with that side bit to your right getting involved...

Anyway forgetting them we actually have a fair few who stand and sing at Upton Park, if the OS is decent acoustically as everyone is saying then this move could be alright if the right people get together.

The thing that makes me laugh is the smug bods who post about certain grounds with running tracks having great atmospheres, yet fail to note that the vocal support there have prominent sections.

Lazio and Roma obviously have the Curva Nord and Curva Sud respectively, and they take up the whole of the single tier behind the goals.

Napoli have their Curva A & B both upper tier, but steep with masses of standing.

The upper tiers behind the goal at the OS will be sparsely populated so no point having a section there...

Likewise no season ticket holders will be situated in the South Stand lower tier so can't have it there either...

Hard to really to pick a suitable place at this moment in time, the club have ****ed up not allowing STHs in that South Stand though, means anyone in the TBL atm won't be getting a comparable seat in the slightest.
DD
Has liked: 1 like

Post by DD »

^^^
Nba

Corner of west lower and upper? Agree that the club messed up by not allowing ST holders in South lower as that is the obvious place but may not be even be Band 4?

When I spoke to the club about that issue, they said it was be because they didn't want to inconvenience bods for cup games