New stadium - Atmosphere. Wheres everyone sitting?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

gavrosh

Re: New stadium - Atmosphere. Wheres everyone sitting?

Post by gavrosh »

"Something needs to be done to allow the like-minded to congregate together like they used to do on the terracing in the old North & South Banks"

That's fair enough. The point I was making is what we dont need is a plastic 'ultra' movement like they have at Palace.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2430 likes
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Aztec Hammer wrote:Do the Emirates and Etihad sections behind the goals stand all game, like we do in the TBL and BML?
The stewards at the Emirates seem to be quite strict about getting people to sit down but from what my brother-in-law tells me behind the goals is the place where people are more likely to stand.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Cheers Hampshire.

I'll be handing in my season ticket if I can't stand like I currently do - that one's make or break for me. I personally can't watch West Ham sitting down.
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

I went to the new stadium suite at Stratford a few weeks ago (anyone can just walk in), and had a very good chat with the bloke in there about it all.

One of my questions was "obviously there will be no official standing area, but if there was ever going to be an area of the ground with lots of noise and people standing up, where do you think that's likely to be?"

He made a very convincing case for it being the east stand.

I recommend anyone go along to the suite and get your questions answered. There's a lot of info there if you know what you want to find out. It's in the outdoor bit of Westfield.
Hampshire Hammer

Thanks BH, I got the idea that you had to have an appointment - mind you they may get fed up if loads of people turn up uninvited ;)
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

I popped into the reservations centre a week ago, I asked two questions where would the family seating area be and where would the the away support be seated, I was told by the lady on reception that they didn't know and if I was a season ticket holder I would be invited in due course, as I am a member I shall have to wait for information to be released.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Aztec Hammer wrote:Do the Emirates and Etihad sections behind the goals stand all game, like we do in the TBL and BML?
My neighbour's a season ticket holder at the Emirates - they've made one end behind the goal a family area so probably all sit but at the other end they'll stand if it's decent opposition - otherwise they're bored shitless and sit!.
The Boleyn Hound

e10hammer wrote:I popped into the reservations centre a week ago, I asked two questions where would the family seating area be and where would the the away support be seated, I was told by the lady on reception that they didn't know and if I was a season ticket holder I would be invited in due course, as I am a member I shall have to wait for information to be released.
The bloke I spoke to was a fan, it sounds like he was maybe a bit more passionate about it than this woman was.
We were chatting for about 40 minutes.

I think it was about 4pm on a Saturday, after the man city game (or whatever the recent midday KO was).

Guess it depends who's there when you turn up and how busy it is etc.

But anyway - it sounds like the east stand is where it's at.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

South part of the east stand- close to the away fans and also closer to the pitch than the middle.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 914 likes
Total likes: 1902 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Will the East Stand go from Bands 1-4 the further it gets from the pitch?

Because of the rake I suspect it will be Band 2 at the front, Band 1 halfway up, then Bands 2,3 and 4 in the Gods. Maybe something like £1000/1500/1000/800/400?

You can probably put a price on a good atmosphere. I reckon it's about £25 a ticket.
Last edited by Doc H Ball on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

I expect the banding of seats to be much the same as now with band 1 at the centre of the pitch,band 2 off centre, band 3 corners and band 4 behind the goals lower, and maybe a new band 5 behind the goals upper.
Hampshire Hammer

e10hammer wrote:I expect the banding of seats to be much the same as now with band 1 at the centre of the pitch,band 2 off centre, band 3 corners and band 4 behind the goals lower, and maybe a new band 5 behind the goals upper.
That was my assumption, which implies that as the "kop" style section is on the half way line it will be bands 1 and 2 and therefore more than likely as quiet as the current stands are at the centre of the pitch.
The Boleyn Hound

e10hammer wrote:I expect the banding of seats to be much the same as now with band 1 at the centre of the pitch,band 2 off centre, band 3 corners and band 4 behind the goals lower, and maybe a new band 5 behind the goals upper.
That's what the lad told me it would be.

The whole thing is going to be a Kop... so the middle bit might be quite quiet, being the Band A bit.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 128 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

The Boleyn Hound wrote:I went to the new stadium suite at Stratford a few weeks ago (anyone can just walk in), and had a very good chat with the bloke in there about it all.

One of my questions was "obviously there will be no official standing area, but if there was ever going to be an area of the ground with lots of noise and people standing up, where do you think that's likely to be?"

He made a very convincing case for it being the east stand.

I recommend anyone go along to the suite and get your questions answered. There's a lot of info there if you know what you want to find out. It's in the outdoor bit of Westfield.
This is quite important because for everyone who wants to stand there will be many more, like me, who have done years of standing and don't want to be sat behind someone who does anymore.
1mcavennie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by 1mcavennie »

If today's news turns out to be true about screening all PL games live I will be sat on my sofa - particularly if the club are thinking of charging anything like £1k for a ST in the 'Kop'
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

just thought id post about this

i went to watch Hellas Verona vs Fiorentina in Italy yesterday

(i will post some pictures when i figure out how to)

their stadium, shape wise wont be too disimilar to the OS....they have a track in the way, and the lower tier isnt even used

the stadium was roughly 2/3rds full

the noise was fantastic....the boys behind the goal really make a racket, and even though i was in the side, the lads there all joined in

was interesting, i spent the whole match stood in the stairwell with hundreds of others....people stood at the back and at the front of the tier too...smoking, drinking, no one complaining!

have to say, even from there, the view was fantastic

the ticket was €22...about £18 for top flight football

my point is, that you can have atmosphere, even with a track....you can still see the match....and for me, highlights how sanitised our football really is....
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 155 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Proper p*sses me of when people immediately shut down a 'singing section'. We are not asking for contrived Palace style support, we just want it to be organised so that everyone that wants to stand can do in the same place.
studenthammer

Post by studenthammer »

Knighter10WHU wrote:Proper p*sses me of when people immediately shut down a 'singing section'. We are not asking for contrived Palace style support, we just want it to be organised so that everyone that wants to stand can do in the same place.
It's probably the wording of a "singing section" that puts most people off as it does come across quite contrived, IMO. The club should just make a certain area of the ground members only, so as to stop day-trippers and the like which should then lead to an area with a great atmosphere (hopefully). This would also stop the club coming out and naming a "singing section" as I feel this would detract from the atmosphere in other parts of the ground.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 155 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

studenthammer wrote:
It's probably the wording of a "singing section" that puts most people off as it does come across quite contrived, IMO. The club should just make a certain area of the ground members only, so as to stop day-trippers and the like which should then lead to an area with a great atmosphere (hopefully). This would also stop the club coming out and naming a "singing section" as I feel this would detract from the atmosphere in other parts of the ground.
The same people need to stop being so precious about being 'organic' and like it was back in the days of the North/South bank terraces. Incidentally its those people who are also moaning most about the atmosphere being not like it was back in the day, yet they are so against doing anything to change it.

The member's section is a decent idea, but it won't happen. This needs to be fan led, but first we need plans from the club itself about where away fans are going to be located and ticket prices around the stadium (or at least bands). From what I've read, the ideal place would be in the corner of the Kop as this is likely to be next to the away fans and not top whack prices. Good examples of top support in corners of stadiums can be seen all around Europe (Ajax & PSG being good examples of this).
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

agree that calling an end "the singing section", does make it all a bit plastic...but the club could organise it another way

if they had a big section, completely unallocated seating, but only allowed up to a certain amount in each game, they could advertise this area accordingly, stating that it is less suitable for kids under a certain age

if they do it, while speaking to the SAB people, they could agree that this is where people who want to congregate and sing can go....the rest is up to those who are in the area to create the noise