UFC

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

UFC

Post by Yea Why Not »

Anyone follow it?

Big fight tonight, anyone know what time the McGregor v Medes ring walk is likely to be?
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Re: UFC

Post by Philosophical Dan »

Half 2 to 3am I reckon. Disappointed Aldo did his rib, because him vs Connor would have been two of the most exciting fighters in MMA going for the title. Mendes is probably aiming for 25 minutes of spooning.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

Cheers

And yeah, completely agree about the fight. Hopefully on three weeks notice Mendes isn't fit enough to wrestle for that long. But with the question marks around McGregor vs a wrestler he'll no doubt be looking for take downs in the early rounds

Wouldn't be surprised if Mendes won myself. Bookies have him as massive underdog which I find surprising considering the level of McGregor's opponents until now
nickkarkie
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Dana White must absolutely love Mcgregor with the amount of publicity he has brought in such a short time
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

Rumours on sherdog that McGOAT failed a drug test before the fight. If true, would be recreational drugs, as PEDs would cause the fight to be cancelled. Probably cobblers, but "huge, if true".
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

Anyone got a good stream? Cheers
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

Those last 3 fights were outstanding. A real shame Mendes wasn't fully fit. You could tell he was feeling it after every exchange. Great job by McGregor targeting the body early though

He is fast becoming one of the biggest professional fighters in the world
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

He is one of the biggest fighters in the world but I don't think he is that good, we love him because he leaves himself so open with his hands down and his belief that he can't be hurt but the reality is that he can and he was almost choked twice last night and was fortunate that he was against a guy who had only trained for a few weeks and who carries a lot of muscle and tires easily. His takedown defence was very poor last night.

I like him because he does the opposite of mayweather, he goes to entertain and not just protect, that's why Dana White loves him too and why he has become an overnight multi millionaire.
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

Is there any other sport where the most famous competitor is female?
wozz

Post by wozz »

best fight was always going to be lawler fight. a superb fight i had to watch on my feet.

McGregor is a strange one, dana white clearly knows what he is doing and how the gobby one projects the sport, his previous opponents have been picked to give him a chance to gob off after, aldo would have a brilliant fight mendes did well i thought just got a bit too contained possibly where he wasnt fit enough and mcgregor was hurting him.
I thought the elbows he landed on the deck were illegal? anyone know the rules on that?

Two things he does which really puts me off is all the hand fighting and talking to the opponent while fighting i know others do it but it all gets a bit too much with him.
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

Claretdave wrote:Is there any other sport where the most famous competitor is female?
Gymnastics. Rousey's only famous because she looks good at the weigh-in.
ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Post by ooh look who it is »

Oops just seen this UFC thread.
PeterParkersGlasses

Post by PeterParkersGlasses »

wozz wrote:I thought the elbows he landed on the deck were illegal? anyone know the rules on that?
The elbows Mendes landed were legal; it's only 12-6 elbows (ie straight down) that are illegal - Jon Jones' only loss on his record is because of illegal elbows he was landing... he was destroying the blokes face!

Overall, I thought Mendes had a better shot at beating Conor than Aldo had. People kept saying that Conor wouldn't be able to handle a wrestler, and fair play to him, he didn't fold when he was put under pressure.

I also think the sentiment that Mendes wasn't fit is incorrect. The guy is always in shape, and he would've definitely been on red alert from Dana to be ready to step in. Aldo is a ducking can and has history of missing fights in America. I think it was the kicks to the guts that gassed him out.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

I think he is talking about Mcgregor's elbows to the top of the head of Mendes, they surely aren't legal.

The way Edgar dealt with Faber a few weeks ago, I'd fancy him to give Mcgregor a very tough night, his striking, evasion, takedown defence were all superb, obviously a lot harder to do that against a much taller guy but he has improved so much.
PeterParkersGlasses

nickkarkie wrote:I think he is talking about Mcgregor's elbows to the top of the head of Mendes, they surely aren't legal.

The way Edgar dealt with Faber a few weeks ago, I'd fancy him to give Mcgregor a very tough night, his striking, evasion, takedown defence were all superb, obviously a lot harder to do that against a much taller guy but he has improved so much.
The way I read it, I thought he meant Mendes' elbows, but yeah you're right McGregor's elbows looked pretty suspect to me. They were kind of on the back/top of his head, but i think the top of the head is fair game.

Yeah Frankie is a good fighter. A bit boring, but he knows how to get the job done. Hard as nails, quick and never tires... that would be a big test. If Edgar gets him to the ground, with his relentless GnP, I can see him finishing Conor.

I like both of them, so i don't really want them to fight - although it's almost certain that they will eventually.
EastLondonHammer

Post by EastLondonHammer »

nickkarkie wrote:He is one of the biggest fighters in the world but I don't think he is that good, we love him because he leaves himself so open with his hands down and his belief that he can't be hurt but the reality is that he can and he was almost choked twice last night and was fortunate that he was against a guy who had only trained for a few weeks and who carries a lot of muscle and tires easily. His takedown defence was very poor last night.

I like him because he does the opposite of mayweather, he goes to entertain and not just protect, that's why Dana White loves him too and why he has become an overnight multi millionaire.
But he's going to punch up Aldo as well who in the division can really test him?

And you think if he known he was fighting a wrestler from the beginning he wouldn't of been training his takedown defense and ground game yet he still come through.
ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Post by ooh look who it is »

I posted this in the boxing thread so as may as well chuck it in here

Conor McGregor in the UFC too. The lad is box office for sure. Just hope he and his following don't turn it into Ireland against the world. He has huge following but may lose some of it due to some of the morons following him. We won't rest till the occupation ends and all that (not by him I may add). Anyway that's for another thread but McGregor is one tough entertaining fighter.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

nickkarkie wrote:He is one of the biggest fighters in the world but I don't think he is that good, we love him because he leaves himself so open with his hands down and his belief that he can't be hurt but the reality is that he can and he was almost choked twice last night and was fortunate that he was against a guy who had only trained for a few weeks and who carries a lot of muscle and tires easily. His takedown defence was very poor last night.

EastLondonHammer wrote: But he's going to punch up Aldo as well who in the division can really test him?

And you think if he known he was fighting a wrestler from the beginning he wouldn't of been training his takedown defense and ground game yet he still come through.
why do you predict that he will beat aldo so easily? just because Mendes gave Aldo a tough fight doesn't mean it will match up that easily for Connor. Aldo is one seriously vicious fighter.

McGregor has been in MMA for quite a while now and it's not like the old days where people may have been only good at stand up, they all have to have a good takedown defence, so I surprised at how easily he was taken down, well actually I'm not, he shows such contempt for his opponent and he is very attacking and when you do that you leave yourself open to a counter takedown. I think Edgar will give him a tough fight.

Looks like he is fighting Faber next as an Ultimate Fighter series coach.
PeterParkersGlasses

nickkarkie wrote:why do you predict that he will beat aldo so easily? just because Mendes gave Aldo a tough fight doesn't mean it will match up that easily for Connor. Aldo is one seriously vicious fighter.

McGregor has been in MMA for quite a while now and it's not like the old days where people may have been only good at stand up, they all have to have a good takedown defence, so I surprised at how easily he was taken down, well actually I'm not, he shows such contempt for his opponent and he is very attacking and when you do that you leave yourself open to a counter takedown. I think Edgar will give him a tough fight.

Looks like he is fighting Faber next as an Ultimate Fighter series coach.
Apparently they are just coaching on the next TUF, they aren't fighting.

Re Aldo, i think Conor matches up better against Aldo than he does against Mendes or Frankie. I'd guess Aldo tries to trade with Conor, which plays into his gameplan. Personally, i think Frankie will be Conor's toughest challenge
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

I'm not convinced Conor has the tools to beat Aldo. Their stand-up is comparable, with the punching edge probably going to the Irishman, and the kicking game going to Aldo. The Brazilian is a legit world class BJJ fighter, though, with wins in the Mundials, and has something like the 6th best TDD record in the UFC.

The bookies have made McGregor 2-1 favourite over Aldo, which is absolutely insane. I'd give Aldo the edge, but not by much - maybe 5-4.

I also think Edgar handles McGregor easily, with that wonderful pressure wrestle-boxing.