UFC

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Re: UFC

Post by DasNutNock »

Just saw the Miocic vs Cormier fight. Nasty eye poke from DC just before the knockout, I’d be inclined to request a rematch if I was Miocic.

Leaner vs DC would sell more, though.
EllisWHU22
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by EllisWHU22 »

How much of a joke was Lewis Vs Ngannou!
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

I don't think UFC is a sport.

It's not even as entertaining as Gypsy fighting
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Mega Ron wrote:I don't think UFC is a sport.
I think it's definitely lost its way a bit. The effectiveness of wrestlers in controlling the action has favoured the wrestle-boxers over the submission fighters. The grappling phase is almost all about controlling your opponent, and submission attempts have declined down the years. Very few of the top tier fights end up in submission wins, mostly TKO/KOs now or decisions, at least by comparison to the pre-TUF days. The scoring system will always favour the top guy during the ground phase, and that's a perfectly legitimate, if tedious to watch, strategy for winning a decision.

People just seem to watch kickboxing matches, groundfighting has never had much mass appeal to the casual fan.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

I'm looking forward to UFC227. The Dillashaw-Garbrant rematch will be intriguing given how the first one went.

In the build up I'd imagine you'll see a much quieter Cody rather than the trash talking you saw before the first fight. Though I think he'll take confidence from the heavy knock-down he scored at the end of the first where he had TJ rocking.

If both Dillashaw and mighty mouse get through it's set up for them to have a "little" super fight for mighty mouse's belt surely?
Slacking student

Have to say I'm pumped for Dillashaw vs Garbrandt 2. This video in particular is stoking the fire

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1AVlHOewK0A" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]
bunk
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by bunk »

The whole Cormier - Lesnar fight is such a **** show. I get that Cormier wants the money fight and no one can begrudge him that, but that Lesnar is allowed back in a ring, let alone for a title shot, is an absolute travesty. Mark Hunt sums it up pretty well...

[youtube]<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2WeR1Hh-fBg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Quite a good fight night last night.......

Main card was good....

Next week should be really good........
bunk

Post by bunk »

Jose Aldo's bodyshot really was something. I'd have thought Stephens would have got the win as Aldo looked broken during the weigh in but once again i prove i'm clueless when it comes to predicting fights.

DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

bunk wrote:Jose Aldo's bodyshot really was something. I'd have thought Stephens would have got the win as Aldo looked broken during the weigh in but once again i prove i'm clueless when it comes to predicting fights.

Christ, imagine trying to breathe during a fight when someone lands that on your ribs.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I thought that Aldo might have been slightly behind at that stage too.....

Looking forward to this weekend's card Dan ???
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Conor vs Khabib officially announced for October 6th.

Conor is the betting underdog. Made my thoughts clear on this one before. Printing money as far as I’m concerned.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:I thought that Aldo might have been slightly behind at that stage too.....

Looking forward to this weekend's card Dan ???
I am, as it goes. They’re both asshats so whoever loses, we can cheer.

As for Khabib vs Conor, I hope the Dagestani puts on a f*cking grappling clinic against the insane paddy. Drops him on his head, slams, trips, suplexes, and lots of shoving him in the corner and punching him in the face. 5 rounds of SAMBO punishment.

If it isn’t obvious, I’m rather a fan of Khabib’s fighting style. 26 people have fought him, and 26 have lost. Conor may have the punching angles and speed, but Diaz is not in Khabib’s class of a wrestler, and he had no problem taking him down. There’s a way to beat Khabib, but no-ones got close to doing it.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Diaz also has a granite chin and can rebound as good as anyone from a nuclear punch.

Khabib got wobbled by Michael Johnson and looked ***** against Iaquinta. I don’t doubt that Khabib on top of Conor and tangling him up every which way is a potential recipe for disaster, but I do doubt the fight getting there enough before Conor punches his head off. And for as much of a monster as he obviously is on the ground, Al Iaquinta managed to survive and turn it into an almost stand-up for the last couple of rounds.

Khabib has beaten RDA and Barboza. Those are his two most impressive names. RDA would’ve been absolutely mullered in the same vein as Eddie had he fought Conor. Barboza is an overhyped flair fighter.

Honestly, I’d love to be proven wrong and see a cracking fight, but I think Conor melts him, and pretty easily. Maybe Round 1.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I too thought that Kabib struggled against Iaquinta and wasn't his normal self.

Wasn't this the fight where Iaquinta stepped in at the last minute ? If so it could well have been because Kabib had trained for his "normal" opponent only to have to fight someone completely different at short notice.

I don't know enough about the sport to be able to say which way the Conor fight would go, only that both fighters come in with an impressive result card.
Slacking student

I watched the Dillashaw Garbrandt fight. Decent fight with Dillashaw probably being the more compact fighter in a firefight which pulled him through. Would love so see him rematch Cruz to see who is the best bantamweight of all time
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

sick as a bloody dog all weekend so never managed to watch, and as much as I had looked forward to this..

:cry: :cry: :cry:
bunk

Post by bunk »

Slacking student wrote:I watched the Dillashaw Garbrandt fight. Decent fight with Dillashaw probably being the more compact fighter in a firefight which pulled him through. Would love so see him rematch Cruz to see who is the best bantamweight of all time
Garbrandt let his emotions ruin any chance of a win once again, every punch he was going for was just an attempted knock out and it just left him exposed. The bloke needs some sort of anger management therapy thrown in with his training as he's shooting himself in the foot with his fight night attitude. Happy Dillashaw won, Garbrandt just reminds me of an angry dinosaur with little arms.
bunk

Post by bunk »

Woodley vs. Till, UFC 228. If i'm not mistaken only the third British person to fight for a title. I think there's still an unknown as to whether he's going to make weight, as... well he's huge. IF he does, and to be fair he's only missed weight 2 in 9, it'll be very interesting.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Yup - Hardy, Bisping & now Till.

Till's got to make weight first, which is a big ask given how disproportionately big he is for the division. Woodley carries more muscle, which is usually easier to dehydrate. I reckon the champ has the edge here, but Till's no mug, so we'll hopefully get some fireworks. I reckon by sunday morning, Bisping will remain Britain's only ever divisional champion, but I'll be delighted for the scouse if he joins him.

As per, I'll be asleep when it happens.