The official KUMB Rugby Union Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

ironstu

The official KUMB Rugby Union Thread

Post by ironstu »

I know there's been a few rugby threads, feel free to merge.

So fellow eggchasers, of all nationalities: who is going to win the 6 nations?

Is there going to be a Grand Slam?

How are England going to fare under Eddie?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2406 likes
Total likes: 2614 likes

Re: 2016 6 Nations - Rugby Union

Post by sendô »

Ireland have to be the favourites, they've got 3 games in Dublin, including an opener vs Wales, although they have to travel to Twickenham and Paris. I suppose the flip side England have both Ireland and Wales at home, but what will they play like?

I can't see anyone winning a slam.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

I agree with it being a grand-slamless year.

I think Ireland will struggle this year, I think they'll lose to both Wales on the opening weekend and to England at Twickenham.

I don't think Wales will win at Twickenham, that win in the World Cup was the flukiest I have seen in my life and will not happen again. They will put up a good campaign though and be in it for the title at the end which I think will come down to points difference again.

Scotland's World Cup campaign was hugely overrated. They got smashed by South Africa, just scraped a win against a poor Samoa side and conceded 5 tries in a quarter final. They will run most teams towards the latter stages and then tail off and I think they'll find themselves in 5th after losing to everyone bar Italy (and even that is a game the Italians will be targeting in Rome!).

England won't have problems against Italy and Scotland and have the advantage of facing both Ireland and Wales at Twickenham. In fact I would say England have the best chance of a grand-slam with a rejuvenated team full of players wanting to impress the new management. I have a horrible feeling it could be a case of broken hearts again with a late evening game in Paris on the last day to stop the winning run and meanwhile snatch the grand slam away.

France? Who knows. They'll probably get stuffed one week, might lose to Italy, might lose to Scotland, then they'll beat one of England, Wales or Ireland.

Italy? Sorry to say it but I think they will be the whipping boys even more so this year than years gone by, unfortunately rugby is going backwards in the country and it is time to introduce a two-tier system to give other European teams a chance.

Final prediction - England to win the Championship with everyone having lost at least once.
simon hammer
Has liked: 956 likes
Total likes: 739 likes

Post by simon hammer »

I too think Ireland will find it tough. Lost their talisman in O'Connell and I just have a feeling that they'll really struggle.

Wales to win it, England and Scotland fighting for second, Italy wooden spoon, France and Ireland also rans.
Last edited by simon hammer on Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 2058 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

This from the BBC's website is a good read

Six Nations 2016: Why teams lag behind southern hemisphere sides
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

It is a good read JBB. Having played in both hemispheres, for me it is two completely different outlooks on how to play the game that is different. The main difference I found was the tempo at which the game is generally played in the Southern Hemisphere, not just the fact that it is played in more run-friendly conditions but more so that the coaches/players have the want to play fast. I think this has been clear when watching European sides play against Southern Hemisphere sides over the last few years, they can stick around for about 60 minutes but just can't maintain that tempo and dynamism for 80 minutes.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

England: Mike Brown, Anthony Watson, Jonathan Joseph, Owen Farrell, Jack Nowell, George Ford, Danny Care; Joe Marler, Dylan Hartley (captain), Dan Cole, Joe Launchbury, George Kruis, Chris Robshaw, James Haskell and Billy Vunipola.

Replacements: Jamie George, Mako Vunipola, Paul Hill, Courtney Lawes, Jack Clifford, Ben Youngs, Alex Goode and Ollie Devoto.

Scotland XV: Stuart Hogg, Sean Maitland, Mark Bennett, Matt Scott, Tommy Seymour, Finn Russell, Greig Laidlaw (capt); Al Dickinson, Ross Ford, WP Nel, Richie Gray, Jonny Gray, John Barclay, John Hardie, David Denton

Pretty conservative first selection from Jones. Very big pack, expect it to be a dog fight at Murrayfield!
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Can see England doing well. Think there is a bit of bite and passion around the squad now.

Looking forward to seeing the game in Rome on 14th, although Mrs hd1 wasn't too happy that it interupts our romantic weekend there :lol:

Had to turn down tickets for Wales and Ireland this year as well!
bunk
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by bunk »

Really looking forward to it, my favourite annual sporting event. As i said in the other thread I have no expectations so will just enjoy it as it is. My World Cup predictions were completely wrong, so I'm not even going to try this time.

There's a massive clash next month, England - Wales at 4 pm whilst West Ham - Watford at 3 pm.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

bunk wrote:Really looking forward to it, my favourite annual sporting event. As i said in the other thread I have no expectations so will just enjoy it as it is. My World Cup predictions were completely wrong, so I'm not even going to try this time.

There's a massive clash next month, England - Wales at 4 pm whilst West Ham - Watford at 3 pm.
That's alright bunk, we'll be 3-0 up at half time and you can catch the start of the rugby knowing that we've.....wait no, this is West Ham! :lol:
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

hammerdivone wrote:Can see England doing well. Think there is a bit of bite and passion around the squad now.

Looking forward to seeing the game in Rome on 14th, although Mrs hd1 wasn't too happy that it interupts our romantic weekend there

I agree mate. I like the fact we are starting with Danny Care, he will bring good pace to our attack.

Great shout catching the game in Rome, what more could she want on Valentine's Day :lol:
woodford
Has liked: 409 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by woodford »

hammerdivone wrote:Can see England doing well. Think there is a bit of bite and passion around the squad now.

Looking forward to seeing the game in Rome on 14th, although Mrs hd1 wasn't too happy that it interupts our romantic weekend there :lol:

10 of us out there as well mate, making a weekend of it, last time i took Mrs Woodford there for this game it snowed, i probably have been colder but i cant remember when

She's fully prepared this time, and has the hump already so she doesnt have to get the hump when she's there

great atmosphere over there for this match
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Woodford, Mrs hd1 has the hump about it for weeks. Weather forecast is saying around 15 degrees.

There's 14 of us over for it, got Friday and Saturday sightseeing! Can't wait!
woodford

Post by woodford »

us to, going from Stansted early on Friday

My dads family are from Rome so i've been loads of times but i love the place

We're staying in a small hotel right by Piazza navona,

Have you been before mate?
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Predictions for the weekend then gents....

France vs Italy - France by 15-20

Scotland vs England - England by 10-15

Ireland vs Wales - Wales by 1-5
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1853 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

woodford wrote: Have you been before mate?
I went for the corresponding fixture two years ago, thoroughl;y enjoyed it.
Had a great weekend with some sight seeing too. :thup:
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

woodford wrote:us to, going from Stansted early on Friday

My dads family are from Rome so i've been loads of times but i love the place

We're staying in a small hotel right by Piazza navona,

Have you been before mate?
First time for me as a tourist, been on business a couple of times but not seen much. Flying out Thursday night so got a couple of days sightseeing.

We're staying just round the corner in a hotel in Piazza di Monte Citorio
nt_hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by nt_hammer »

England greatly improved and will be there or there abouts but I fancy Wales to win it.
woodford

Post by woodford »

hammerdivone and anyone else going

If you're planning to do the Vatican and St Peters ( strongly recommend you do ) let me know and i'll send you the link to get your advance tickets, otherwise the queue is mad mate
dave_l
Has liked: 78 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Good result for England. Team did a job and looked very organised defensively and promising signs in attack.

Usual Scottish sportsmanship, booing England kicks and any decisions that went against them. Murrayfield is the only place you get any grief like that. They're even booing the post match interviews.