The official KUMB Rugby Union Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

DasNutNock

Re: The official KUMB Rugby Union Thread

Post by DasNutNock »

Slacking student wrote:" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Two minutes that warm the cockles of my heart
Still don’t know what on Earth he was thinking with that spear.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Best part was Gatland's post match interview afterwards. Looked absolutely gutted. I was nearly crying too, though mine may have been through sheer laughter
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Best mo,ent for me was Dallaglio taking half their team with him to score in 1998.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Sam f*cking Underhill. Take a bow, son.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Thank f*ck for that.
Slacking student

Yep mightily relieved that that finished when it did.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

DasNutNock wrote:Best mo,ent for me was Dallaglio taking half their team with him to score in 1998.
Or even 2000

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Have a look at Walesonline today. Man, they're an angry bunch over there :lol:
Slacking student

It's salty over there right now...and I love it :lol:
Tenbury
Has liked: 719 likes
Total likes: 1190 likes

Post by Tenbury »

They need to concentrate on the upcoming World Cup, perhaps this was their final.

Anyhow, now we get to see if Scotland really have abandoned ball carrying.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Half -time and the Sweaties' brand of rugby might look good, but it's all show,bit like the globetrotters playing basketball.Great to watch,but it disguises the fact that actually their forwards aren't very good in loose play.I reckon they don't carry the ball.....because they can't.

Now watch them turn it all on second half, just to prove me a complete idiot.
Close game,hard to call.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Patito wrote:May to grab the first try and England to win by 10 today.

Nearly!

That tackle from Underhill was something else as well. He must be one of the quickest flankers around he came out of nowhere.
Last edited by Patito on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Tenbury wrote:Half -time and the Sweaties' brand of rugby might look good, but it's all show,bit like the globetrotters playing basketball.Great to watch,but it disguises the fact that actually their forwards aren't very good in loose play.I reckon they don't carry the ball.....because they can't.

Now watch them turn it all on second half, just to prove me a complete idiot.
Close game,hard to call.
Great win for the scotch today. Really kept it going & Leidlaw was immaculate today.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Really enjoying the 6N so far. France have been so good in parts but give away so many penalties it's killing them.

I can't help but think it's going to be between England and Ireland at the death. Ireland looking very strong although they got lucky against France.

England have plenty in the tank though. That game against Scotland could be a banana skin because Scotland can play. I can't help but think we have too much power for them though. Their forwards just don't compare to ours in terms of strength and power. They will have to play out of their skins to win but I think they capable. Who knows. Two weeks can't come soon enough.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

DasNutNock wrote:
Great win for the scotch today. Really kept it going & Leidlaw was immaculate today.
Think they were rather gifted that towards the end.Wasn't the greatest standard of rugby,but God only knows where "the resurgent Scotland" were going if they'd lost that.

Good bits.

Laidlaw
Teddy Twoshits (or whatever he's called)
The French out singing the Sweaties on their own patch.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2596 likes
Total likes: 1729 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Had to spend the whole of Saturday afternoon in Plockton while my son , Dan was at his Drama Rehearsals and forgot to set the game to record - ah well , it was a mild day and now I'm the photographer for the Plockton Amateur Dramatics Society . :raver: [ well , the only one with a camera ! ] .

Just goes to show how impressive that win over the Scots was after watching them coming back against the French yesterday .
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

I must have been watching a different game to you guys.I s'pose an evenly matched game is entertaining,doesn't have to be of any quality though.I thought the French forwards were I'll disciplined,and ultimately gave the game to Scotland,and Russell's kicking out of hand was very poor.Neither team will give England or Ireland much of a game.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Tenbury wrote:Neither team will give England or Ireland much of a game.
You're probably right, but the days when England could waltz into town in complete confidence of brushing aside whoever's notionally "weakest" among the Home Nations each year are long gone. Get the tactics or personnel wrong, or fail to adapt to the conditions, and anyone can win a 6N game. Everyone raises their game against England, too. The scotch won't expect to beat us, but that means the pressure is off them, and there'll be no question of motivation on their parts.

Les Bleus aussi aimont un victoire sur les Anglais. Nous avons besoin de bien preparation pour cet jeu.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 2058 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Guscott on the Wales 'try'
Gareth Anscombe's disallowed try was a huge decision in England's win over Wales and the television match official Glenn Newman got that call wrong - but it wouldn't have been a try anyway.

The TMO should have been shown the action frame by frame, which would have revealed the ball was touched down by Wales full-back Anscombe - his fingers brush it before England wing Anthony Watson gets his hands on the ball - so the touchdown is good.

But if he had seen the play frame by frame, he would also have seen the ball hitting Wales winger Steff Evans' fingers in the build-up - so the try wouldn't have stood as it was a knock-on.

The TMO has to be given the best information and footage.

What the game has to do is give the TMO the best possible shot he can get at making the right decision.

After the game social media started showing footage that he got the Anscombe decision wrong - but it also showed you Steff Evans' finger bending from the ball hitting it, and then after that the touchdown is good.

The TMO didn't make a wrong decision with the footage we saw on TV, it wasn't clear. He worked with what he had, and it only becomes clear and obvious when you go frame by frame.

This decision shows there is still work to be done with how the TMO system operates. We can't say how the result might have been different if the try had been awarded but we don't need many more situations like this before we lose faith in the system.

With the video referee in rugby league, decisions happen really quickly. They've got it spot on and they rarely make mistakes. It's very fluid and rugby union should be learning from it.

In rugby league it's a very slick operation, but in rugby union it feels clunky because of the conversation between the TMO and the referee. They need to work on it.

Ultimately, it's the referee who makes the decision on the advice of the TMO. But in the game you just have to get on with it; even in football they don't spend the next 10 minutes going up to the referee.

So the refereeing committee made the right decision for the wrong reason :eh:
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I imagine the comments section of walesonline's 300+ articles on the game will be appropriately contrite.