Formula 1 2016 Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Hammers Dad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 49 likes

Re: Formula 1 2016 Thread

Post by Hammers Dad »

Sebastian Vettel: FIA could take further action over Lewis Hamilton collision

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40431244
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 2058 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Hopefully I'll be proved wrong
Sebastian Vettel could yet face further punishment for Lewis Hamilton swipe

It is believed that FIA president Jean Todt is unhappy with Vettel's actions and with how the incident was dealt with by the stewards, who handed the Ferrari driver a ten-second stop and go penalty, which many within the paddock thought was a lenient punishment.
Vettel accused Hamilton, who was in the lead of the race at the time and had assumed the role of the Safety Car, of brake testing him, which resulted in the German running into the back of Hamilton's car, damaging both.
Clearly unhappy with Hamilton's actions, Vettel drove alongside the Briton and turned towards him, with the pair making contact. Neither car suffered any damage in the second incident.
However the FIA cleared Hamilton of any wrongdoing during the restart as the lead car can dictate the pace, and whilst the rules stipulate that a constant speed must be kept, data from Hamilton's car showed he did not brake heavily, nor act any different to his previous restart.
"It emerged that Hamilton did correctly, maintained a consistent speed and behaved in the same manner on that occasion as in all other restarts during the race," a statement from the stewards noted.
Vettel's actions following the initial contact were an act of revenge – the four-time champion admitting so after the race – but he didn't believe the penalty was warranted.

more...
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 343 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Got a cracking day lined up for the 16th! Invited by McLaren/Honda, breakfast at 8, lunch in their suite, and I get to do the walk just before the start of the race! Cannot wait :scarfer: might trip up brundle and give the cross hammers while making my piss...
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by 3times »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Hopefully I'll be proved wrong

Sebastian Vettel could yet face further punishment for Lewis Hamilton swipe

It is believed that FIA president Jean Todt is unhappy with Vettel's actions and with how the incident was dealt with by the stewards, who handed the Ferrari driver a ten-second stop and go penalty, which many within the paddock thought was a lenient punishment.
Vettel accused Hamilton, who was in the lead of the race at the time and had assumed the role of the Safety Car, of brake testing him, which resulted in the German running into the back of Hamilton's car, damaging both.
Clearly unhappy with Hamilton's actions, Vettel drove alongside the Briton and turned towards him, with the pair making contact. Neither car suffered any damage in the second incident.
However the FIA cleared Hamilton of any wrongdoing during the restart as the lead car can dictate the pace, and whilst the rules stipulate that a constant speed must be kept, data from Hamilton's car showed he did not brake heavily, nor act any different to his previous restart.
"It emerged that Hamilton did correctly, maintained a consistent speed and behaved in the same manner on that occasion as in all other restarts during the race," a statement from the stewards noted.
Vettel's actions following the initial contact were an act of revenge – the four-time champion admitting so after the race – but he didn't believe the penalty was warranted.

more...
Absolute joke of a decision not to hand out further punishment. Could be a real problem now if another driver does a similar thing. Have basically said that driving into to someone is acceptable.
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by 3times »

Clacton-ammer wrote:Got a cracking day lined up for the 16th! Invited by McLaren/Honda, breakfast at 8, lunch in their suite, and I get to do the walk just before the start of the race! Cannot wait :scarfer: might trip up brundle and give the cross hammers while making my piss...
Mate of mine works for McLaren, does all the Euro GP's. Drives the chassis around. Not a bad number if you like driving (done over £100k last year)
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 848 likes
Total likes: 822 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Hamilton facing a 5 place grid penalty for unauthorised gearbox change. FFS you couldn't make this up. Someone at Mercedes wants shooting. So another GP will pass with Vettel extending his lead rather than Lewis reducing it.
Just how many ladders has Hamilton walked under because he is **** outta luck. Vettel on the other hand has all the luck in the world.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

By "unauthorised" they don't mean it was against the rules, just that the 'box was faulty and had to be replaced before it had been used in six consecutive races. The rules allow for this with the appropriate penalty.

Nothing underhand or sneaky going on, just one of those things,
Chicken Run Supreme

Ta JBB, I didn't know whether it was an administrative oversight from Mercedes that they didn't get authority to make the change or what tbh. You've cleared that up. Still hard cheese on Hamilton (yet again).
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Here you go, from the Beeb's Andrew Benson
Hamilton can start at best sixth in Sunday's race after being hit with a five-place grid penalty for an unauthorised gearbox change.

Mercedes discovered a problem with Hamilton's gearbox after the previous race in Azerbaijan and informed governing body the FIA on Tuesday, but the issue became public only on Friday evening at the Red Bull Ring.

Teams have to run a gearbox for six consecutive events but Hamilton's has had to be changed before that period expired.

Even without the penalty, it looks like Mercedes have a serious battle on their hands with Ferrari this weekend, with Vettel impressively fast throughout final practice after struggling on Friday.

Mercedes said Hamilton's problem with be rectified before qualifying, which starts at 13:00 BST.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1703 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Verstappen totalled on the 1st lap, he is having some run of bad luck.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Vettel has a poor start off the line, Bottas has an excellent start off the line. Cue Vettel complaining that Bottas has jump started. I'm starting to remember why I had a big dislike of him.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1703 likes

Post by wolf359 »

aaronhammer wrote:Vettel has a poor start off the line, Bottas has an excellent start off the line. Cue Vettel complaining that Bottas has jump started. I'm starting to remember why I had a big dislike of him.
Vettel wasn't the only one pointing that out tbf (I can't believe I defended him!)
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

He was the first though :wink:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1975 likes
Total likes: 1464 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

aaronhammer wrote:He was the first though :wink:
.....and telling his team to get onto Charlie Whiting.

Complete and utter ****hole.
Chicken Run Supreme

I never liked Vettel at Red Bull but had warmed a little to him since he switched to Ferrari but that's all gone out the window in the space of two races. He has reverted to type, a Berkshire Hunt of the highest order.

Maybe Lady Luck will shine on Lewis in the second half of the season because it sure as **** has deserted him so far this season. Hopefully next weekends British GP will be a catalyst, hope so.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Silverstone activates break clause

As things stand, there'll be no British GP after 2019.
The future of the British Grand Prix has been left uncertain after Silverstone's owner confirmed it has activated a break clause to cease hosting the race after 2019.

Silverstone has been home to the race every year since 1987.

However, the British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC), which owns the circuit, is struggling with the financial cost of hosting it.

"We have reached tipping point," said BRDC chairman John Grant.

"We can no longer let our passion for the sport rule our heads. We sustained losses of £2.8m in 2015 and £4.8m in 2016, and we expect to lose a similar amount this year."

"Our hope is that an agreement can still be reached, so that we can ensure a sustainable and financially viable future for the British Grand Prix at Silverstone for many years to come."

Silverstone hosted the first ever Formula 1 race in 1950. It then shared hosting the British Grand Prix with Brands Hatch and Aintree before becoming its permanent home 30 years ago.

Unlike many other tracks on the F1 calendar, Silverstone receives no government backing.

more...
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Unlike many other tracks on the F1 calendar, Silverstone receives no government backing.
[/quote]

No WAY on earth should the taxpayer be subsidising that orgy of waste and consumption. I like F1, but if this is their angle, they can get f*cked.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

^^^ I completely agree. There's no shortage of money in F1 (or football come to that), it's just those with the purse strings being greedy.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1975 likes
Total likes: 1464 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

If Brands could get its act together then the British GP could be saved, and us southern fans of F1 wouldn't have to travel up the M1.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

They should hold it at Aintree again.

Make them go over the fences .