NFL Thread 2017/18

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Dyl

NFL Thread 2017/18

Post by Dyl »

Hi all,

In addition to our NFL Fantasy thread, which obviously revolves around the KUMB Fantasy football league, at the behest of various members, I thought i'd start this thread for all NFL discussion not relating to FF.

If the mods don't approve then we'll go back to discussing NFL in the fantasy thread, but I think it would be good to separate them out.

So anyway, providing this thread remains active, lets kick it off.

As some of you may be aware, i am one of a couple of guys who run the Gridiron Gentlemen podcast and blog, the largest fully independent NFL podcast and site in the UK. http://www.gridirongentlemen.com Find us on Facebook, Instagram and most prominently Twitter @Gridirongents, give us a follow, chat to us and share our stuff if you like, it is always very much appreciated as we attempt to continue to grow the site, the pod following and our social outreach.

So NFL is a huge passion of mine, and like many on here I am very excited about the new season. The draft has just come and gone - (see our catch-up posts on the gents' site if you like) so that's the main discussion point at the moment, with the insane story of Laremy Tunsil falling to Miami at 13 (Steal of the draft IMO). The kid could've fallen even further if his agent wasn't the same agent who represents Dolphins head coach Adam Gase and last year's star free-agent acquisition Ndomakong Suh.

The Rams are back in LA, and have a number one draft pick QB Jared Goff to begin their new Hollywood life, the cowboys picked up a kid who many 'experts' believe could be the next Adrian Peterson, and the Jaguars all of a sudden look like a playoff team.

My missus and I have also booked our tickets to see two week 1 games in Seattle and San Fran, and week 2 in Oakland, so that's three new stadiums I have yet to visit to add to Miami and Chicago we've been able to see games at over the last couple of seasons.

So yeah, draft discussions, thoughts on the season ahead, or new fans looking for info/a team to follow or anything else NFL related (except fantasy league stuff!), chuck it in here :scarfer:
Last edited by Dyl on Fri May 05, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Re: NFL Thread 2016/17

Post by antony »

The Jags had a fantastic draft on paper. They've arguably taken the two best defensive players available.

Ezekiel Elliott will be fantastic but I think the cowboys probably had greater needs and maybe reached slightly. They may have been able to trade back and still get him, especially as Baltimore wanted to trade up to take Ramsey. The Jags were never gonna take a RB, so they could probably have moved back to 6th and still got him (obviously there is a risk that someone else would trade up to 5).

I really hope Jaylon Smith's injury doesn't ruin his career before it starts. Apparently the a pats were going to take him in the 2nd were he still there. As he wasn't they traded down. It could be an absolute steal for Dallas.

I expected New England to take a running back at some stage. Kenneth Dixon and Devontae Booker were on the board for a long time. They always say to look at Belichick's actions and not what he says (he doesn't say much anyway) and the actions would suggest he blames the O Line problems and lack of a running game on the coaching and expects that to be resolved by bringing back scar.

Cleveland probably did the right thing on this draft. They have so many holes which they've tried to fill. They are likely to have an early pick again next year, so if they love a QB next year they can easily trade up.

Tunsil should be a steal but it'll be typical dolphins if he is a raving pot head and ends up banned like Randy Gregory.

My draft hero...Kevin Faulk
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 194 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Jacksonville very much the en vogue pick atm. The annual reclamation project also in focus given popularity of Hue Jackson. Rams moving back to LA will get lots of attention as well, as is the Raiders threat to move to Vegas.
antony
Tory boy

Post by antony »

The Raiders and Vegas seems like such a perfect fit. It seems like Davis is quite keen too.

The Rams will go 7-9 again. I think it must be written into player contracts.

I really want Cleveland to turn it around. Gonna be a long job but they have had a decent week (unlike free agency)
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

Good idea from my point of view. As a casual fan who follows a team but doesn't know a great deal about other teams, and goes to the London games, I look forward to this thread through the season. I will also have a look at your site Dyl.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Claretdave wrote:Good idea from my point of view. As a casual fan who follows a team but doesn't know a great deal about other teams, and goes to the London games, I look forward to this thread through the season. I will also have a look at your site Dyl.
:thup:
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

With Lynch retiring during the super bowl, I have great hopes in Rawls being an ample replacement at RB for Seattle. In his rookie year he rushed four 100+ yard (and a 200 yarder) games before breaking a bone in his ankle in week 14 which ended his season. Not trusted too much as an option out of the back field for Wilson to throw to but that part of the game might develop over training camp.

Cardinals still very strong in the NFC West though.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Claretdave wrote:Good idea from my point of view. As a casual fan who follows a team but doesn't know a great deal about other teams, and goes to the London games, I look forward to this thread through the season. I will also have a look at your site Dyl.
Ditto

I am going to give NFL a go this season again, I've adopted the New Orleans Saints to follow

How painful will this be?
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

The Saints are poor so it will be quite bad
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Nesticles wrote:
Ditto

I am going to give NFL a go this season again, I've adopted the New Orleans Saints to follow

How painful will this be?
Yeah, grim, and only going to get grimmer once Brees retires in the next couple of seasons. They had a short run of power and won the super bowl in 09, but have historically been one of the worst franchises, and yeah, look to head that way again after another couple of mediocre seasons.

Any reason why you chose the Saints? If you're not 100% settled on that we can help you choose based on any preferential reasons you want to throw out. :thup:
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

I was visiting New Orleans on holiday and just decided I would try to follow them a bit to help with getting into NFL. I try to watch it on weekends when the season is on.

Cheers for the heads up anyway Gents, a lifetime of supporting the Hammers has prepared me for this!
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

so nice to be able to say la rams again :scarfer:
antony
Tory boy

Post by antony »

sanchoz wrote:I have great hopes in Rawls....
Be interesting to see how he progresses in season 2. Was a bit of a surprise how good he was, especially given he was an undrafted free agent.

Was quite a bad injury for a running back so hopefully he's ok. Seattle drafted CJ Prosise and Alex Collins and I think Christine Michael is still there so could be a busy back field.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Nesticles wrote:I was visiting New Orleans on holiday and just decided I would try to follow them a bit to help with getting into NFL. I try to watch it on weekends when the season is on.

Cheers for the heads up anyway Gents, a lifetime of supporting the Hammers has prepared me for this!
That's a great reason, and anyway, New Orleans is (I've heard) one of the best places to visit in the states, so at least you'll enjoy going to see them if you get really into it!

Of course, any questions about the NFL just shout on here :thup:
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

Nice site you've got their Dyl.

Question: interesting reading about the Tunstil situation, bizarre but hopefully a case of alls well that ends well. Do you know anything more about the other Dolphins draft picks?
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

antony wrote:
Be interesting to see how he progresses in season 2. Was a bit of a surprise how good he was, especially given he was an undrafted free agent.

Was quite a bad injury for a running back so hopefully he's ok. Seattle drafted CJ Prosise and Alex Collins and I think Christine Michael is still there so could be a busy back field.
When Marshawn got his back injury and Rawls' carries ratcheted up, he showed he was a good down hill runner. Seattle under Schneider and Carroll are more then happy to give up first round picks or position at the start of the draft in favour of later round picks and free agent punts to try and create that underdog mentality where you have to thrive to survive. Michael is still there and we have ex-Bills RB Fred Jackson as well.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 531 likes
Total likes: 405 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

cockney hammer wrote:so nice to be able to say la rams again :scarfer:

Damn right CH! The boys weren't overly terrible last year. Had some good wins. Fingers crossed for an improvement. I'd take more wins than losses for starters.
antony
Tory boy

Post by antony »

^^^
It'll be a start to not go 7-9. They have a bizarrely good divisional record though. If I remember rightly they did the double over Seattle last year.

I'm not sure I buy into Jared Goff but he can't be much worse than the QB situation for the last few years in St Louis.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

antony wrote: I'm not sure I buy into Jared Goff but he can't be much worse than the QB situation for the last few years in St Louis.
I worry somewhat about his size. He looks slight, breakable in the lower body. but he is very accurate and hasa nice quick release. We'll see.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 194 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

sanchoz wrote:With Lynch retiring during the super bowl, I have great hopes in Rawls being an ample replacement at RB for Seattle.
The challenge for Seattle is that they have to rebuild their offensive line. If you can't block you can't run.
Cardinals still very strong in the NFC West though.
One of the most intruiging coaches in the league. Guy is a genius both organizationally and as a game coach. Big question mark is Carson Palmer's durability and ability to bounce back from his playoff meltdown. Their defense is scary and their #1 pick Robert Nkemdiche is a top 5 talent although a headcase. Arians best coach out there to reign him in.