KUMB General Formula 1 News thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1975 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Re: KUMB General Formula 1 News thread

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Loved Max's "Simply lovely" :lol:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 848 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Well Done Lewis Hamilton, 4 times F1 World Champion is no mean feat and to be honest, it could easily have been his 6th title. He really should have won the title in his rookie season but his naiviety in the last few races cost him and it could easily be argued that last season it was a combination of poor reliability and bad luck that cost Hamilton another title.

I like Hamilton because he doesn't come from money which most F1 drivers do - he is a council estate lad who may well have had fantastic support from McLaren along the way, but he didn't buy his way into F1. Yes, he earns a fortune and chooses to live in a tax haven but pretty much most F1 drivers reside in Monaco or Switzerland, so he is not alone. Although at times in the past he has been a bit of an idiot, I think he is wising up more to the public relations side of things and seems more chilled these days. He is apart from Ayrton Senna, the most fearless and instinctive driver I've seen in my lifetime and always want to race and never looks for the conservative option. Michael Schumacher's 7 titles is probably something he would love to emulate and even surpass but that will be difficult, however it would not surprise me to see Hamilton achieve that landmark.

From the BBC website:

Alonso was asked whether he regarded Hamilton as one of the five greatest drivers in history.

"Yes," the Spaniard replied. "In F1, every single season he has been very competitive, apart from one or two with Jenson (Button) when he had some issues. He was able to win with a dominant car, with a good car like 2010 or 2012, or with bad cars like 2009 and 2011.

"Not all the champions can say that."

Praise indeed from Alonso - who Hamilton himself regards as the best of the rest.

I am sure Ferrari will learn from this year and will push hard again next year and Verstappen is the young pup snapping at the heels of the more experienced drivers and who knows what McLaren will be like, surely they have gotten as low as they can and the only way is up? Would be good to see Mercedes, Ferrari Red Bull in a three way battle next season.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 351 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Great stuff by Lewis. Our greatest sports star, I do enjoy reading some of the bitter pathetic comments made against him.

"Whinger" as opposed to his peers Alonso and Vettel I suppose. :lol:

Tax Dodger. Funny how that is always raked up against him but never Jenson Button. Wonder why?

He wins because of the car....as opposed to Bottas then who is half a second lap slower than him with the same equipment.

Also you really have to question if the stewards are totally biased to Ferrari.

Vettle deliberately rams Hamilton. 10 Sec penalty, same as an accidental one.

Vettel rides back on another car. No penalty

Vettel takes steering wheel with him. No penalty

Max passes Ferrari off track. 5 second penalty

Vettle passes Massa off track. No penalty.

And still they can't win the title....
westham,eggyandchips

^^^^^^

Frig me bendy..........and your complaining about other people whingeing? :shock:
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 351 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

That's not whingeing, that constructive comment. :)

Ok, I probably had a bit of a tirade, but you have to say the stewarding towards Ferrari is a bit dubious.
westham,eggyandchips

Bend it like Repka wrote:
Ok, I probably had a bit of a tirade, but you have to say the stewarding towards Ferrari is a bit dubious.
Not sure how long you've followed F1 but I can remember favourable stewarding towards Ferrari since year dot. Its why I can stand the c****.

It seems no matter how much they get from the FIA it still isn't enough to win them a title......which makes me smile. :)
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 2059 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Everyone knows FIA stands for Ferrari International Assistance

Bernie Ecclestone suggests FIA helped Ferrari gain F1 advantage

He told Italian newspaper La Repubblica: “F1 is Ferrari, and Ferrari is F1. Helping Ferrari has always been the smartest thing to do. It was always done through the technical regulations.

"The teams are important to F1, but Ferrari is more than that. So many things have been done over the years that have helped Ferrari to win."

Although he stated that Race Director Charlie Whiting had never had any part in aiding the Prancing Horse’s, he claims that former FIA President Max Mosley was involved in helping to gain them an advantage.

He added: "Max has often helped Ferrari, and I too wanted them to win. There can be a season won by others, but even the other teams have an interest in challenging a competitive Ferrari. It's one thing to win against Sauber and quite another to win against a red car.

more...