Rugby League World Cup 2017

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

pablo jaye
Has liked: 2549 likes
Total likes: 916 likes

Rugby League World Cup 2017

Post by pablo jaye »

I enjoy RL and at club level it is competitive both in Super League and the Aussie NRL. However, the game doesn't really work in the World Cup format, with a number of hopelessly one sided matches being played before Oz, England, Kiwis and AN Other (probably Tonga) play each other in the semis and then Oz go on to win.

However, a good game today Tonga caused a bit of an upset today beating New Zealand. The hakas before the game were pretty intense, with the Kiwis getting right in the face of a Tongan, Jason Tamalulo, who'd defected from the Kiwis just before the competition - he had the last laugh though.

The Haka .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yNquejkZMo
mjustincredible
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017

Post by mjustincredible »

Should give the Aussies a decent game next week but they are class and I expect they will win by about 12.

The Ending to the Tonga semi final was insane.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Be lovely to do a number on them, but I can't see it happening.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2406 likes
Total likes: 2614 likes

Post by sendô »

pablo jaye wrote: The Haka .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yNquejkZMo
England should do their own version. How good would it be to see a full minute of 13 blokes shouting "come on you cahhnts" and giving the ****er sign?

Anyway, England are in the final. Is this only watched up north then? I've seen nothing of it on tele etc.
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

Sendo - that's a perfect idea for the English Haka ...I'm sure the South Pacific Islanders are pretty much saying the same anyway.

The competition has been broadcast mainly on Premier Sports but the England games have been on the Beeb. However, as it is taking place down under, they have been on at ridiculous hours 5am for the Tonga game. The final is on at 9am on Saturday but the organisers have received a lot of criticism for the timings of games being on so early and missing out on the European audience. A game that has a lot of potential but constantly shoots itself in the foot.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 889 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

pablo jaye wrote:...A game that has a lot of potential but constantly shoots itself in the foot.
It's always baffled me how the much more boring version of Rugby became the more widely played (almost global) international game.

From a spectators perspective, particularly on TV, it's a far, far better game to watch then the often plodding, over-technical and overly finicky rules of Union. League knocks it for six as a viewing spectacle.

Shame there is such a small hinterland for it in this country as we miss out. Watched a fair it of NRL when living Aussie-side a long time ago, then went to a State of Origin game in the flesh in Brisbane... :shock: ....what a game! What a blood-pumping spectacle. Loved it.

Will tune in over breakfast tomorrow to see how it goes, just wish I felt a bit more steeped in the culture.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

League and union can both be boring. Union has a lot more variation in play which can lead to boring stuff, but then watching 80 minutes of run/tackle, run/tackle can be tedious, too.

Anyway 6-0 to the home side, can't see us turning the round.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"

Post by Junco Partner »

It's a tense one, some jittery English defending and some unusual handling errors from Aussie.

With still such a low score it's anyone's for the taking...
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Went the way it was always going to go.
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

Think Aussie were quite rattled towards the end, expected it to be a bit easier than that.

Now, back to the cricket....

What a Saturday!
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

Thoroughly enjoyable game - low scoring but both sides were pretty tight defensively and England definitely finished far stronger at the end and in some ways the Aussies were lucky to hold on. Better decision making at the end by England may have made the difference - there were runners on the inside for the last play for England and previously, they kicked on tackle 2 or 3, rather than the end of the set. Well done England just could t outfox Cameron Smith - one of the best.