Blimey

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

DasNutNock

Blimey

Post by DasNutNock »

Mate of mine is now officially the Ultraman World Champion. For the record, that's a 6 mile swim + 90 mile bike ride, followed by a 170 mile bike ride, then a 54 mile run. Bloody hell.

http://robgray.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DasNutNock

Re: Blimey

Post by DasNutNock »

To put that into perspective, he finished the double marathon under 7 hours.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

DasNutNock wrote:Mate of mine is now officially the Ultraman World Champion. For the record, that's a 6 mile swim + 90 mile bike ride, followed by a 170 mile bike ride, then a 54 mile run. Bloody hell.

http://robgray.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Awesome work.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Bloke's a machine. Was always a good athlete, but never thought he'd be that good. He also became WC weighing 77Kg, which must be loads heavier than the norm.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Just been comparing our Strava stats. I've done 800km on the bike this year, he's done 13,000.
Tenbury
Has liked: 720 likes
Total likes: 1191 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Amazing bloke. I've always hated physical exercise,but seeing as he gets to eat so much cake I've been wrong all along.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Tenbury wrote:Amazing bloke. I've always hated physical exercise,but seeing as he gets to eat so much cake I've been wrong all along.
The 54 mile run alone would have burned something like 7000 calories, at his weight. That's roughly the equivalent of 3 DOZEN krispy kreme ring donuts.
S-H
Has liked: 5727 likes
Total likes: 9642 likes

Post by S-H »

What an animal!

Just reading that has worn me out!
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

DasNutNock wrote:To put that into perspective, he finished the double marathon under 7 hours.
I done one marathon with 40lbs of kit, but that is ****ing outrageous
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

I'm glad I'm retired from that ****. An Ironman was always far enough for me.

Huge respect to him though. Three days is a monstrous amount of time to keep your **** together.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

FreeWheeling wrote:I done one marathon with 40lbs of kit, but that is ****ing outrageous
I'm not 100% sure, but I think he finished the run at the end of an Ironman under 3 hours once. Can't even begin to understand what that degree of fitness actually feels like, nor what it must take to get there.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1635 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Respect to your mate Dan, that's some going.

That said, you're not going to let your mate beat you are you ? ;)
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Yes. Yes, I am.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

DasNutNock wrote: I'm not 100% sure, but I think he finished the run at the end of an Ironman under 3 hours once. Can't even begin to understand what that degree of fitness actually feels like, nor what it must take to get there.
I'd imagine that it's not particularly good for you. Probably taken about 5 years off his life completing it.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

White Goodman wrote:I'd imagine that it's not particularly good for you. Probably taken about 5 years off his life completing it.
There's also the possibility that he's getting some help from Lance Armstrong's physician, something that appears to be on the increase with amateur athletes.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

DasNutNock wrote:
There's also the possibility that he's getting some help from Lance Armstrong's physician, something that appears to be on the increase with amateur athletes.
Yep, I know :wink:

Apparently it's rife in decent standard rugby ie those hoping to bridge the gap between top amateur and the professional game.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Post by Clucking Bell »

They're even at it at Masters level over here. A 40 year old tested positive for seven, yes seven, banned substances after a race on the West coast. I'm sure the $150 he would have won was worth the eight year ban.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

Clucking Bell wrote:They're even at it at Masters level over here. A 40 year old tested positive for seven, yes seven, banned substances after a race on the West coast. I'm sure the $150 he would have won was worth the eight year ban.
:D

Everyone is at it. If an old square like me can easily lay his hands on HGH, any type of steroid and all manner of PEDs, you know it must be rife.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

Clucking Bell wrote:They're even at it at Masters level over here. A 40 year old tested positive for seven, yes seven, banned substances after a race on the West coast. I'm sure the $150 he would have won was worth the eight year ban.
That it utterly ****ing hilarious though.

I think like anything else it becomes an addiction, such is the performance boost provided by some substances, to go back to being joe average is quite hard to do I'd guess.

I've never used for anything other than looking and feeling better. I wouldn't say I've ever derived much in the way of increased sports performance.
Clucking Bell

Post by Clucking Bell »

I think there's just a bunch of guys that can't let go.

When I was competing, you were probably reckoned to be on the way down once you got to the age of 30 or 31. Now you've got blokes who are still winning Ironman distance races and one day stage races in their mid-thirties. Marathon running is the same: your peak years are now considered to be your early thirties rather than your late twenties.

It's now a case where some guys think they can still mix it in their forties and the difference between a top twenty place and being on the podium is playing with their chemistry set.