Rugby League

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Rugby League

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Any other KUMBers follow 13 a side?
Any thoughts on the coming season?
Follow any particular team?
Any thoughts about the possible return of franchising or the RFL's big push to get the USA and Canada involved in SuperLeague ( eventually)
Anyone just want to comiserate on following London Broncos as well as West Ham?

I saw the RLWC thread long after the Aussies won the cup - again!
Ferret

Re: Rugby League

Post by Ferret »

I follow St. Helens, have been to a fair few games too, always a good atmosphere.

prefer it too the footie to be fair.....
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I like both codes, but really only at an international level. Thought the final against the shackle-draggers was a fantastic game.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 2343 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

watched a couple of the play off games back end of last season as was interested in the Castleford story. Was a cracking semi-final win but then they fall apart in the grand final

My wifes family are from Warrington and big fans of the Wire so I keep any eye on their results....seem to be the eternal bridesmaids over the last 10 years
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

I keep an eye on York City Knights.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1703 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Ferret wrote:I follow St. Helens, have been to a fair few games too, always a good atmosphere.

prefer it too the footie to be fair.....
I work at St Helens College ( we get regular visits from the players and club in general ) and my ex- wifes family follow them, went to a fair few games when we were together, mainly at the old ground, Easter against Wigan is a thing to be hold. Saw Saints at Wembley a few times and done a number of grand finals. Good game, reminds me of football in days past(in a good way, without the dicks head in the main) . Also went to a few Leigh games in the very distance past, a good laugh as well.

Proper game, with good support. Too many one sided games, though but they are doing more than football to sort that out.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2549 likes
Total likes: 916 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Yes, I follow both codes of rugby - a result of watching Grandstand in the 70/80s and then living round the corner from Headingley when I was at Uni. Needless to say, my team is Leeds - a good season last year after the shocker of two years ago.

I can remember going to games and changing ends with the oppo fans via a subway that went under the length of the pitch - never any trouble and can't imagine what carnage there would have been had that been used in football.

I also follow the NRL in Oz - some top quality players there and some exciting matches. I have been following Manly Sea Eagles (they play in claret!!) , and went to see them a couple of seasons ago - top atmos, sitting on a grassy bank in the sun, downing a few tinnies!!

As for this coming season, it'll be good to see if Castleford can carry on where they left off last season. Leeds will be there or thereabouts, as will St Helens and Wigan. I would tip Hull as an outsider. In the NRL it'll be interesting to see how Melbourne Storm cope without Cronk and Slater, but they are still a strong side. Also, hopefully Johnathan Thurston will come back to good form for the NQ Cowboys after being out most of last season. If Manly can cope with the salary cap restrictions they have, they could get to the finals - the Trebojovic brothers and Daly Cherry Evans have the nous and flair.
mjustincredible
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by mjustincredible »

I followed the London Broncos for years from when the super League started back in the late 90s on sky.
I was at the Valley (Charlton ground) for one of the early fixtures against PSG if i remember correctly with my dad and brother. I grew up playing Rugby Union every sunday at my local club (Ilford Wanderers) and so was always more of a union fan yet as we had sky I used to really enjoy watching League, a lot of the time the game was more exciting and less breaks. I still remember some classic Broncos players like Steele Retchless and Tony Martin - the late 90s early 2000s they had a good team.

Over the years I went and saw the Broncos with my old man when they played at Harlequins (and was called Harlequins RL for a bit) and always enjoyed it. Shame that Rugby League has never taken off down south, it is a good game, yet London Broncos have struggled for crowds for years. I could never understand it, you have the whole of London and struggle to get more than 3,000 people at the game :?

The club always moving about never helped and eventually they fell out of Super League. I always thought they should settle down in East London which would have suited me. They are now based in Ealing, which is a trek to get to so I have only been once since the move. They got close in the new format to actually getting promoted to the Super League so good to see that they have improved and most of the team is Home Grown / London players so that's a positive.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Was brought up playing union but living in Leeds I have started to get into league a bit (just watching mind). I keep an eye out for Rhinos' results as they are the local team and the Mrs used to cheerlead there

I also have a pair of NZ Warriors shorts at home bought for me by relatives. I followed some of their results last season - beyond shocking! And we think we have it tough as Hammers.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Patito wrote:Was brought up playing union but living in Leeds I have started to get into league a bit (just watching mind). I keep an eye out for Rhinos' results as they are the local team and the Mrs used to cheerlead there

I also have a pair of NZ Warriors shorts at home bought for me by relatives. I followed some of their results last season - beyond shocking! And we think we have it tough as Hammers.
photos ?
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

used to live in Sydney and supported St George when there - used to get free tickets to see the Roosters though

Its the best Sydney had to offer on the sporting front
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

mjustincredible wrote:I followed the London Broncos for years from when the super League started back in the late 90s on sky.
I was at the Valley (Charlton ground) for one of the early fixtures against PSG if i remember correctly with my dad and brother. I grew up playing Rugby Union every sunday at my local club (Ilford Wanderers) and so was always more of a union fan yet as we had sky I used to really enjoy watching League, a lot of the time the game was more exciting and less breaks. I still remember some classic Broncos players like Steele Retchless and Tony Martin - the late 90s early 2000s they had a good team.

Over the years I went and saw the Broncos with my old man when they played at Harlequins (and was called Harlequins RL for a bit) and always enjoyed it. Shame that Rugby League has never taken off down south, it is a good game, yet London Broncos have struggled for crowds for years. I could never understand it, you have the whole of London and struggle to get more than 3,000 people at the game :?

The club always moving about never helped and eventually they fell out of Super League. I always thought they should settle down in East London which would have suited me. They are now based in Ealing, which is a trek to get to so I have only been once since the move. They got close in the new format to actually getting promoted to the Super League so good to see that they have improved and most of the team is Home Grown / London players so that's a positive.
I always thought they should settle in East London as well. They moved slap bang into the middle of the Rugby Union heartlands of West London never going to work. League attracts a slightly different crowd and has more in common with football when you look at the demographics of spectators.

Saw this morning that Sky have got the rights for NRL again, that will do the sport here some good. Brilliant competition plus State of Origin is one of the best sporting events world.

I spent a year in Sydney (playing Union mind), and living on the Northern Beaches I got along to a few Manly Sea Eagles games. Loved it, brilliant sport and I appreciate it a lot despite being the most avid Union fan!
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

SoO seems to have been cleaned up a bit, which I think is a shame.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

DasNutNock wrote:SoO seems to have been cleaned up a bit, which I think is a shame.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Undoubtedly it has, just like any sport these days. Still played with huge intensity and a desire to win like not many other events, just less fisticuffs (which I agree is a shame!).
Patito

Post by Patito »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:
photos ?

When she was 16...
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 2058 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Rugby player Scott Moore jailed after high-speed chase and assaults on police
A professional rugby player, Tasered six times after driving at 150mph in a police chase, has been jailed.

Scott Moore crashed into a house in Leigh and fought officers, threatening one with a Taser he stole from them.

The ex-England rugby league star, 30, used "his size and experience on the rugby field" to evade arrest, Greater Manchester Police said.

He was jailed for 23 months at Bolton Crown Court after admitting dangerous driving and assault.

Moore, of Ranworth Drive, Lowton, Wigan, was disqualified from driving for two years.

more...
ironsonthebrain

So , coming to the business end of the 2018 season - any thoughts?

Can Catalan Dragons take the Challenge Cup to the South of France?

Can St Helens march to the Grand Final or are they looking a bit vulnerable?

What about the qualifiers? Leeds and Salford look OK so far , Widnes not quite dead and buried but they have a mountain to climb to avoid relegation. Are Toronto going to go straight on to Superleague, will any other Championship side join them?

What about the ending of the 8s format? Personally I like the way they have made it so that every match counts, especially if you follow a promotion chasing Championship side - with only 1 up 1 down if there's a dominant team in the division then it often means a lot of dead rubbers for the chasing pack by about now.
Was at the London Leeds game at the weekend, even with a far from full strength team Leeds looked pretty comfortable. A late London revival made the scoreline look respectable but stupid mistakes and poor first half defending meant the game was more or less done by half time. Pity really as there was a decent sized crowd at Ealing and it made for a pretty good atmosphere too.

And finally has Bradford's defeat at the weekend stuffed their season?
ironsonthebrain

So can London Broncos sneak into automatic promotion? Or the Million Pound Game?
Outstanding defence last Saturday against Salford.
The way Sky have rejigged the fixture list at least we'll have the benefit of knowing exactly what we need to do.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Defence was much improved like you said against Salford. Broncos really should have enough about them to beat Halifax IMO.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2549 likes
Total likes: 916 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

A good NRL Grand Final yesterday, with the Roosters easily snuffling out the Storm 21-6. One of the most notable elements being Cooper Cronk playing with a fractured scapula for the entire game and Blake Ferguson played for the last 30 mins with a broken leg!

That sort of mullarkey really makes footballers look like snowflakes!!