Tennis

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

DasNutNock

Re: Tennis

Post by DasNutNock »

iLoveLasagne wrote:Yeah I don't get the Fed hate. He doesn't complain or moan about decisions nor is he ungracious in defeat.
Same. And if he does come across as smug sometimes (I never really thought that), 20 Grand Slams does rather suggest a degree of supremacy that's hard to argue. Ignoring the French, which the steroid ape has had on lock for as long as anyone cares to remember, Federer has won something like 50 % of the remaining Slams since he won his first. That is an astonishing statistic, given how long he's been playing.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1703 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Our new number 1. Edmund is a break up against Novak. Though I’ve not watched it I believe Federer has effortlessly moved into the thrird round at Wimbledon.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1703 likes

Post by wolf359 »

UNlike Andy he doesn’t blow it when serving for the set. Edmund has a future.

EDIT doesn't get a look in after than out in 4
Last edited by wolf359 on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Federer is smug because he’s the best human to ever play tennis. I’d be fairly pleased with myself, too.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 151 likes
Total likes: 332 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Federer is my favourite player in the present time, but I do admire the two on centre court playing now.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

So where's the outrage about the wheelchair players not getting paid as much as the able-bodied competitors? The women screeched for decades about how they should get equal money, despite playing 3-set tennis. Why aren't the wheelchair players getting paid the same, too?

The wheelchair game, IMO, is better viewing anyway, and not just because they don't insist on screaming every shot or taking a couple of minutes to fart around before serving. The co-ordination to move the chair and set up shots defies belief.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

I see the attention seeking Williams sister, managed to upstage the US Open champion as she did her usual toys out the prom hissy fit with the normal put downs

Amazing how she just can’t stand losing

She was coached her trainer admitted it after
She did smash her racket
And she did abuse the umpire

Hopefully for a repeat offense a ban may be in order
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Ban Serena? No chance. Racism, sexism, being a mum etc - shes completely bulletproof now.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

The umpire was being sexist because he penalised her? In a match between 2 women?!

Right o
szola
Has liked: 584 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by szola »

The question is, would a man, say Djokovic, recieve the same penalty after complaining to the umpire.

I'd really love the women start playing three set games, and a five set final. Do they run 60m in the 10m sprint, og play 2x30min games of football? :o
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

aaronhammer wrote:The umpire was being sexist because he penalised her? In a match between 2 women?!

Right o
I think her argument was that the men are often in similar situations and do not get a deduction. It doesn't make much sense but many neutral people seem to think she had a fair point. She definitely didn't go the right way about it though.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

sicknote wrote: Amazing how she just can’t stand losing
Probably this is a strength and weakness. Pure will to win. I think the umpire got it wrong personally but she didn't help herself.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2406 likes
Total likes: 2614 likes

Post by sendô »

Williams is a knob. Shouting abuse at the umpire and then moaning when she gets penalised? It's not sexism, she's using that as a convenient deflection, and people are falling for it.

As for womens' tennis players getting the same money, well they do only play 3 sets - so surely 3/5ths of what the men get is fair? Honestly though, why don't they play 5 sets?
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

sendô wrote:Williams is a knob. Shouting abuse at the umpire and then moaning when she gets penalised? It's not sexism, she's using that as a convenient deflection, and people are falling for it.

As for womens' tennis players getting the same money, well they do only play 3 sets - so surely 3/5ths of what the men get is fair? Honestly though, why don't they play 5 sets?
They play 3 sets because no one can tolerate watching them any longer than that. I like how they can win grand slam finals in half an hour the whinge about unequal pay.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Looking forward to the apology which must surely be coming from Williams, the LTA, and the US tennis association ....

Williams said - "This is not right. To lose a game for saying that, it’s not fair. How many other men do things? There’s a lot of men out here who have said a lot of things. It’s because I am a woman, and that’s not right.”

Turns out she had a point about sexism but it was not the one she thought ....
Statistics show that there were 86 code violations handed out to male players at the US Open, and only 22 to women. Now, a more detailed analysis of the past 20 years of grand-slam events has revealed a long-term split of 1,534 to 526.
So in fact men are three times more likely to receive a code violation than women ... yup sexist indeed
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 673 likes
Total likes: 1286 likes

Post by davids cross »

Sad thing is...

She has actually put back the cause of sexism and racism and the people who care and fight for the causes.

She pulled the sexism card from her back pocket and others played the race card ....It wasn't about either.

Serena did what Serena mostly does. When really pressured (especially) at the US Open, she caved in. Both technically and emotionally she fell apart and shifted the blame from her to someone else. Its a character fault that has always been there. It gets revealed at moments of great stress.

I've watched tennis for a million years, love it. I've rarely seen such a complete meltdown from something that was pretty insignificant (the warning)........but correct.

At last some of the other players are starting to speak out and tell it like it was.....

Barbora Strycova.....http://www.livetennis.com/category/wta- ... -20180914/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

Jamie Murray (hardly a family who do not support women or the feminist movement)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/45513038" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Most of all. She should be ashamed for taking the limelight away from her fantastic opponent (who is a woman by the way).

This was about tennis and the application of it's laws. Nothing else.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 673 likes
Total likes: 1286 likes

Post by davids cross »

By the way...

Barbora Strycova is probably one of the most "warned" players in tennis............very fiery , very combative.

And if she thinks it's bull****...........it probably is.
Supreme
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Supreme »

Anyone been keeping up with the ATP Finals at the 02? Federer lost to Nishikori in the opener yesterday.

I am down there Thursday, looking forward to seeing who I'll catch.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 848 likes
Total likes: 822 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Andy Murray talking before the Australian Open is intimating that this may well be the final tournament of his career. He originally hoped he would recover sufficiently to make it through to Wimbledon which would be his last hurrah but sadly he is struggling for any form. During the sombre press conference, Murray was unable to hold back the tears as he talked of the pain he has endured over the last 20 months.
He has a tough draw in Melbourne against the 22nd seed Bautista-Agut, which I really can't see Andy winning. It would be very sad to see Andy retiring on a first round knockout but I can see why he is on the verge of retiring. He always said of his hip surgery that if afterwards he wasn't able to compete at the highest level then he wouldn't go through the motions, he would quit.
If this is how it pans out, then I doff my cap and say thanks for some great moments in British sport. He will be missed and his record will unlikely be bettered by a British tennis player: 37 weeks as World No.1, 8 Grand Slam Finals, 3 Grand Slam titles, 2 Olympic Gold medals, 14 Masters 1000 titles, ATP Tour Final winner and not to mention almost single handedly dragging GB to countless Davis Cup victories, culminating in winning the final itself. Not a bad CV really!
I hope he can recover some sort of form to at least make it to Wimbledon but he probanly won't win another tournament and will be calling it a day at some stage this year. He will leave the sport with his dignity intact rather than trudging round the circuit like a punchy old boxer becoming no more than a feather for others to stick in their cap.
stu1
Has liked: 657 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Sad to see Murray potentially retiring in such circumstances.

Before his hip injury he looked like he was finally ready to dominate for a period, with Nadal injured, Djokovic out of form and Fed not quite being what he once was. Unfortunately in that period where he could have added multiple further grand slams (which I feel his career deserves) it looks like he’s been struck down with a career ending injury.

That being said, a quick read of CRS’s post tells you how impressive his career was.