Formula 1 2018

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Re: Formula 1 2018

Post by wolf359 »

York Ham(mer) wrote:Hamilton takes pole in Japan as Mercedes lock out the front row. Verstappen in third. Vettel in 9th as Ferrari cock up their tyre selection.
The prancing donkey cannot get anything right at the moment, they have really crumbled under the pressure.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Vettel will start from eighth on the grid after Esteban Ocon received a three-place grid penalty so a little bit of fortune going his way there.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Flawless win for Lewis, with Vettel again making major mistakes. Fat lady is warming up now.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

After Spa I had a horrible feeling that Vettel was going to be the one to push on in the second half of the season, I need not have worried. Hamilton and Mercedes have totally crushed Vettel and Ferrari since the Belgian GP and exerted so much pressure on them both driver and team have made a series of errors. It may or may not be at Austin when Lewis is crowned a 5-time F1 World Champion but it is a when rather than an if. A stunning second half performance.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Vettel has been consistently making mistakes as soon as the pressure has been on.

No doubting he can stick in a good lap and if he gets out in front then its game over for the rest (Although Hockenheim goes against that).

But when Vettel is having to fight against the top few he makes rash decisions and ultimately he has to point the finger at himself for being so far off the championship lead.

Ferrari have made mistakes but Mercedes have also made some poor calls too (not least where at Russian GP they let Vettel leapfrog them).

Vettel is certainly showing up that without pressure and a good car hes good enough to win but as soon as the going gets tough and the pressure is on he really is not in the same league as Hamilton with decision making and making the most of what he can achieve on a weekend.

I actually cannot wait to see Leclerc in a Ferrari car - i think it could be the beginning of Vettel leaving Ferrari as Leclerc certainly looks like hes got something about him. Then again not sure where Vettel could go.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

He certainly wouldn't go to Mercedes, where the whole team including the other driver won't be devoting their entire effort to his world championship ambitions.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

I’m sure the Eric’s would love him to one day move to merc , Ferrari is the dream seat but for a German to race in a silver Mercedes would be akin to a British driver getting in a British racing green jag or Aston and competing, that to me is the only place I’d see Lewis leave merc for , a competitive british(only in history foreign now) team engine supplier, which means red bull development from where they are, Verstappen will replace Vettel at Ferrari sooner rather than later, it’s then how competitive that team is as to whether Lewis fancies a new challenge to allow Vettel his merc seat and the dream German team for the German nation

I think though Lewis won’t find a competitive British engine seat and Vettel won’t join merc so all the above except Verstappen taking Vettel’s seat is a fairytale
view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

Strange how the FIA fit an extra sensor to the Ferrari, to find out how the extra battery power they could generate worked, and the performance advantage Ferrari had disappeared. :eh:
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

When Vettel won 4 world titles in a row the question always was, how good a driver is he? Most of his successes were down to blasting off from the front and never being caught. When it came to overtaking he didn't seem anything so special.

I think the last 2 seasons have shown that he is just a decent driver, but not great. Apply pressure and the mistakes usually follow. Too many crashes when overtaking this season.

Hamilton has absolutely dominated him, to the point where he is now publicly feeling sorry for Vettel, which must really hurt.

Think LeClerc will be a bigger threat next year.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

view from the shires wrote:Strange how the FIA fit an extra sensor to the Ferrari, to find out how the extra battery power they could generate worked, and the performance advantage Ferrari had disappeared. :eh:
The FIA in a none to subtle way said 'let us fit a second sensor or we're calling foul' ... Ferrari conceded and despite their denials have clearly lost performance ever since ....

Claiming they have a 'very complicated battery system' doesn't cover it, pretty much everyone in F1 suspects Ferrari had some form of bypass on the mandatory ECU, the FIA device which monitors the 4Mj per lap cars are permitted to harvest ....

If you can't win fairly change the rules, if that don't work cheat, now if that don't work what will Ferrari do next?
mjustincredible
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by mjustincredible »

The turning point of the season was Vettel crashing out of his home German race whilst leading comfortably - completely unforced error and would have opened up his driver points lead nicely. The Ferrari was much the better car mid-season as well yet since that point they (the team and Vettel) have made mistakes left, right and centre!

Made the end of season races a bit boring now, props to Hamilton though, he is a very special driver, him and Alonso were the best of this generation, what a shame we didn't see them fighting against each other more.

LeClerc, Mad Max and Ocon are the special 3 young drivers of the new generation. Absolutely scandalous Ocon could have no seat next year (even if he does it will only be the Williams) instead you got Lance Stroll nicking his seat because his dad has brought the team!
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Vettel handed a three-place grid penalty at the United States Grand Prix for not slowing sufficiently for a red flag in practice. Dear, oh dear.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

York Ham(mer) wrote:Vettel handed a three-place grid penalty at the United States Grand Prix for not slowing sufficiently for a red flag in practice. Dear, oh dear.
It was just another very small "mental error" he took to long to react to the red flags, he can moan all he wants but every other driver on track at the time managed it .... tiny margins make all the difference ...
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Lewis Hamilton grabs pole position for the US Grand Prix ahead of Vettel but of course Vettel is dropped down to fifth after his three-place grid penalty. Hamilton will win the drivers title if he wins the race and Vettel finishes lower than second.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

mjustincredible wrote:
Made the end of season races a bit boring now, props to Hamilton though, he is a very special driver, him and Alonso were the best of this generation, what a shame we didn't see them fighting against each other more.
Terrible season.

Not a fan of either title contenders, but at least the first half of the season was competitive, now its just crap. In most part down to Ferrari and Vettel's lack of fight.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Vettel makes contact with Ricciardo on the first lap and spins ....
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

York Ham(mer) wrote:Vettel makes contact with Ricciardo on the first lap and spins ....
Chokes again, I have to wonder how the hell he won 4 championships (I know the answer - being in a totally superior car for 3 of the 4 and being really lucky in the other)
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Hamilton leads, I really hope he wins this one. I do not understand the hate he gets. The BBC site is a joy and confusion all in one.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Not this week for Lewis unfortunately but great to see Kimi win a race again, and amazing yet again from Max, 18th to P2!

Really enjoyable race today, that overtake attempt from Lewis on Max with 2 laps to go was great entertainment.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

I reckon Ferrari have dropped the wrong driver. Happy for Kimi. Plenty of time for Lewis.

Good race.