2019 Cricket season

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

2019 Cricket season

Post by Bend it like Repka »

So who's got the whites dusted off and ready?

Had 3 weeks of outdoor junior training so far, two of which were so cold it might as well have been November.

Starts in earnest this week.

My U13s play Thursday evening. I should be playing Saturday and as the regular manager is away I'm also running the U9's on Sunday, so help me god with that one.

My eldest has been looking very good in the nets so far batting, I'm really hoping she can take that confidence onto the pitch and get some scores this season. :raver:
Bend it like Repka

Re: 2019 Cricket season

U13s started with a loss, but it was decent game. We ended up 92/6 chasing 109. Just didn't have the batting firepower to get the 4s needed later in the chase.

Over the moon though as my daughter who views herself as more of a batsman that a bowler ended up with the best bowling figures in the match of 2 - 4 - 2. :scarfer:
Bend it like Repka

So am I the only one "doing" cricket this year? I thought we had a few players on here...

Last Saturday played for the 4ths. I was terrible. :lol: Somehow we won despite my efforts. Thank god my U13s didn't see me play, would have undermined all my authourity. Mind you I was bloody freezing, weather was horrific so that's my excuse

My daughter scored 10 this week for the U13s including a beautiful cover drive for 4.

U9's was cancelled last week but youngest is now playing this Sunday. Her excitement bubble is already getting out of control.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Who does your daughter play for Bend It? My son plays for Wanstead CC U12s (and sometimes the U13s).
Frustratingly he got a football injury just as the season started but should finally get going next weekend!
Bend it like Repka

I'm based in Sussex so no chance of a meet I'm afraid.

At last the weather looks to be improving. Be nice to play cricket in the warmth for a change.

Managed our U9's yesterday who won by 1 run in a thriller. :scarfer:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Is it mixed teams Bendy, if so, to what age?

Coaching/managing, I doff my cap, done it with football, a thankless task but very rewarding (at times).
Bend it like Repka

Clacton-ammer wrote:Is it mixed teams Bendy, if so, to what age?
To my knowledge their is no gender separation rules in junior cricket. There are all girls teams and leagues, but a lot of them are softball at junior level.

What you would class as the normal regional leagues, which are hardball T20 games is what my daughter plays in. It's nearly all boys with just the odd girl playing. A common theme is that they nearly always seem the be managers daughters. :lol:

She U13 now and has played hardball since U11. As far as I'm concerned she will carry on until U15s and then just play for whatever XI picks her within the adult setup.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Ta Bendy.

I am going to try and not come across as sexist now...but at 15 when I was in the colts there was some really quick bowlers, now as kids all seem at least 6" taller now than when I was at 15 I can imagine the pace has increased. I guess if the girls are good enough they will compete, but I image it would be very tough for them to compete on an equal playing field at that age?

There will always be a few that are good enough, but can imagine many would struggle. Does your club have a womans team?
Bend it like Repka

Yep, sexist. :wink:

Batting is about courage and technique. There are some U12's and U13s I've seen over the last season that are pretty rapid and shes faced them fine. I've had a few boys lose confidence and be scared of fast bowlers, there are some in my squad who will refuse to bat in the top 3 if asked.

Including my daughter I have 2 girls in my team, and they've both grown up playing against boys week in week out. They are used to facing fast bowling just as any boy would be. In 2 years time they will be just like any lad having to face rapid U15s. It's the nature of cricket, and something they will either cope with or not. Depends if they get hurt but then that applies to boys too. As I said I had 2 lads who nearly packed in cricket after being hit.

The other girls dad runs the 4th XI and she regularly plays for them. She took two wickets last week. Clean bowled their number 5, fully grown man. Our wicket keeper didn't half rub it in as he walked off. :lol:
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

WestHamIFC wrote: Frustratingly he got a football injury just as the season started but should finally get going next weekend!
31 not out (retired) for the U13s in a 10 wicket victory @ Newham CC, admittedly not the strongest opposition we’ve ever faced(!) but a decent start to his season.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

I’ve played 5 games in total this season, 2 midweek friendlies through work, 2 Sunday friendlies, and 1 Saturday league game. 4 wins and 1 tied game overall, so not a bad start!

On a personal level, the first 2 games I bowled well and felt in a really good rhythm - took a combined total of 3 wickets for 25 from 9 overs. The 3rd game I only bowled 1 over after feeling a tweak in my thigh fielding a few overs before being needed to bowl - I bowled 6 good dot balls, but these were supplemented in between with 5 wides where I couldn’t put pressure on my leg. Thankfully I recovered a few days later to play again but have completely lost my rhythm that I had, and the past 2 games have resulted in 9 overs 2 wickets for 48 runs.

I’ve only batted once, and only got 4 runs.

Another 2 games Thursday and then Saturday, so hopefully it will click and maybe I’ll get another bat!
Bend it like Repka

In between the average bowling, one bat for 5 runs, and 4 out of 4 dropped catches (none sitters admittedly) so far this season, on Saturday I did manage one moment of sporting glory that reminded me why I still put myself through all the aches and knee pain.

Fielding at extra cover, the batsman placed a firm drive to my right and set off for a quick single. In one fluid motion I moved across, scooped up the ball on the bounce and threw at the bowlers end. Direct hit half way up the stumps with batsmen out by 2 yards. Team mates mobbing me with high 5's, been a long time since I've felt that euphoria. Loved it.

If I tried that again I'd f*** it up 10 times in a row. :lol: