Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

ironstu

Re: Boxing thread

Post by ironstu »

Okolie v Chamberlain, worst fight I have ever seen.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1635 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

ironstu wrote:Okolie v Chamberlain, worst fight I have ever seen.
Bang on the money. It was so bad my dad - a massive boxing fan - said after the first few rounds:"Let's turn this of, it's ****, I'm not wasting any more time with it."

And he did.
mjustincredible
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by mjustincredible »

Why in Gods name where any of you watching that **** British Beef sky card when a brilliant Cruiserweight unification fight was on at the same time on ITV4.

Dorticos vs Gassiev was outstanding! Two warriors in a proper battle yet both highly skilled, with a brutal KO to finish it off in the 12th. It was even better than the Usyk vs Bredis (other semi final) the week before which was also extremely good.(Full fight is on youtube - watch it, you won't regret it)

What a fight to look forward to - Usyk vs Gassiev for all 4 World Titles - Undisputed! :thup:

Love the World Boxing Super Series, fantastic production, lighting, entrances, hot ring girls, decent pre and post fight promos - really classy stuff. The crusiserweights in-particular had the best 8 fighters in the division competing. Even the Super-Middleweight one is gonna bring us Groves vs Eubank Jnr and likely the winner against Calum Smith.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

I'm off to Manchester next week for Groves Eubank

I can't wait
fmgod
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 148 likes

Post by fmgod »

I was out Saturday couldn't believe people wanted to watch that main event, I can't stand him but Eddie Hearn is a genius, he got so many to buy into a fight that should never had been topping an 02 bill
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

I think it says it all about what level Okolie is at at the minute when he says he'll fight again in two months time, against the easily dropped Craig Kennedy. That's where he should be right now, on the undercard fighting people with day jobs.

Dorticos v Gassiev was a fantastic fight, is it me or do they both look far more muscular than Okolie and Chamberlaine? They didn't look like two fights from the same weight class. I really don't know who will win out of Usyk and Gassiev, but I think both will become very good Heavyweights.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I really hope Groves does him, I just worry that, in the later rounds, he might come unstuck.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

If Eubank is as good as he has been perceived to be, than he will find Groves an easy night's work.

I, personally, don't think he is. I also think he is too small, and he has never been hit by anyone as powerful as Groves

I got a feeling Groves will stop him in the middle rounds
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Nesticles wrote:If Eubank is as good as he has been perceived to be, than he will find Groves an easy night's work.

I, personally, don't think he is. I also think he is too small, and he has never been hit by anyone as powerful as Groves

I got a feeling Groves will stop him in the middle rounds
As he thinks he is you mean?

Not sure I know many people who perceive him as top level. I agree with you, Groves will be too much for him to my mind
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Some boxing pundits, fellow fighters, trainers and so on think Eubank is the real deal and a different fighter from the Saunders fight. As I said, I'm not sure I believe it.

In this fight at least, I think he is a middleweight stepping in with a big super middleweight. Who is also probably the biggest puncher in the division.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Since the Saunders fight who has jnr fought? Nobody of any real note, Spike O'Sullivan is probably the best. Groves, since his first defeats against Froch, has fought twice more for World Titles, and he won the most recent one with a great stoppage. I think he has the power but jnr is faster and probably a bit fitter, lighter too, I don't know how much that will affect things. Since going with McGuigan, Groves has looked like a better fighter, less prone to getting hit hard and he takes it to the body more, which I think could be jnr's undoing.
twixy
Has liked: 1 like

Post by twixy »

Groves wins IMO. Too big, too srtong and too good for the limited Jnr. Groves has one of the best jabs in the world and Jnr cannot defend against a Jab, he will box his head off lke BJS did until he gassed.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

It'll be like a light heavy vs a large middle in the ring on Saturday. I think Groves stops Jr due to the size differential
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2633 likes
Total likes: 1176 likes

Post by EvilC »

I am shocked that Eubank is favourite, particularly by the margin he currently is.

I am properly looking forward to the fight though.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2633 likes
Total likes: 1176 likes

Post by EvilC »

Jumby

Post by Jumby »

EvilC wrote:I am shocked that Eubank is favourite, particularly by the margin he currently is.

I am properly looking forward to the fight though.
It's amazing what all the hype can do for him, I hope Groves exposes his flaws and makes him eat his words, he's such an unlikeable t**t.
fmgod
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 148 likes

Post by fmgod »

Quite interesting if it's a draw, it goes to a fourth scorecard
Slacking student

Groves comes in lighter than Eubank Jr

Groves 167.1
Eubank Jr 167.5

George looked incredibly drawn at the weight
twixy
Has liked: 1 like

Post by twixy »

Slacking student wrote:Groves comes in lighter than Eubank Jr

Groves 167.1
Eubank Jr 167.5

George looked incredibly drawn at the weight
I actually thought Groves looked better than he normally does at a weigh in, he is a big old Super-middle weight.
Slacking student

This shows it I think better