Transfer Window: Summer 2008

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

westhamrobw

Re: Summer Transfer talk

Post by westhamrobw »

For left back position I think we should try and get Marcelo from Real Madrid. They have got Drenthe and Heinze for the LB position so we could get him at a reasonable price
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

It is traditional on htese threads to airily talk of shipping undr-performing players out to save wages and generate transfer fees.

Am I alone in wondreing how easy it will be to do that for Boa, pantsil and Quashie in particular (Freddie too if that were wanted). We've offered these guys deals that few in the prem would match, why would they leave?
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

upton o'good wrote:We've offered these guys deals that few in the prem would match, why would they leave?
They won't. Same reason Christian Dailly never left.
AVCO76

Post by AVCO76 »

I think this topic only really gets interesting when the rumours and links start... :)
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

AVCO76 wrote:I think this topic only really gets interesting when the rumours and links start... :)
We could always look at who we've been linked with already, to set the ball rolling.

Barnes, Bent, Sidwell, Adriano, D'Agostino, Mtandari... anyone else?
AVCO76

Post by AVCO76 »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote: We could always look at who we've been linked with already, to set the ball rolling.

Barnes, Bent, Sidwell, Adriano, D'Agostino, Mtandari... anyone else?
Gudjohnsen if you want to dig up that particuar Horse to flog again? :lol:
Norn Iron

Post by Norn Iron »

What about Bent and Assman, we could try for a theme XI
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Norn Iron wrote:What about Bent and Assman, we could try for a theme XI
Arshavin's got to be in there.
Adi Cokers Boots

Post by Adi Cokers Boots »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote: Arshavin's got to be in there.
Quim to fight it out with Assmann for the keepers spot :lol: :lol:
Scaloni Is The Messiah

It's a shame we can't have players from the future, because in my current FM game in 2021, my left back for West Ham is a young Dutch wonderkid called Dick Slot. He'd fit right in, so to speak.
devonshire flu
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by devonshire flu »

NedN wrote:
Keeper
Assmann (Independiente, 21 year old keeper, great potential, and call me immature, but worth having just cause he would be a fan fav with his name)
Ooh, ooh, I've seen this guy play. He replaced Oscar Ustari not long after this happened: :)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1aqik ... mo-b_sport

He's only 21, but Independiente have 3 keepers, all aged 20-21. In South America, the idea that a keeper needs to be 24-25 before he's experienced enough for the top flight is not taken seriously. If you're young and agile with good reflexes and a bit of character, you can play in goal.

I haven't got any examples of Assman making a save. The last time I saw him he let these in:
http://www.dailymotion.com/popular/Gole ... 1-ro_sport
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/se ... 2-pa_sport
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/se ... 3-gr_sport

No keeper can expect to stop Gracián when he's clean through. Could have done better for the first two, though.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Can someone tell me something about Mtandari please? A defender also wanted by Fulham :shock: and at Spurs but cant get a game in their defence - and who they are willing to get shot of? Sounds like a real prospect :shock:
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 672 likes
Total likes: 1308 likes

Post by davids cross »

Scott Duxbury from the Newham Recorder............

19 March 2008
A DAVE EVANS EXCLUSIVE

DESPITE the arrival of Gianluca Nani to help negotiate transfers at West Ham, there is unlikely to be a huge influx of star players arriving at Upton Park in the close season.

Last summer Julien Faubert, Scott Parker, Craig Bellamy, Freddie Ljungberg and Kieron Dyer were snapped up by the club and West Ham chief executive Scott Duxbury believes those star men should be given a chance to shine.

"I think there will be money for signings, but I am not sure we want to use it," Duxbury told the Recorder this week.

"I think when all our players are fit and we can play Ashton up front with Bellamy or Sears, when Faubert gets a chance, when we can play Scott Parker and Kieron Dyer in midfield, then we are capable of making the top six and that is our aim."

Transfer targets are still down to manager Alan Curbishley and Nani, but Duxbury was keen to stand up for the likes of Freddie Sears.

"If we bring in big-money signings, then we are not going to see the players who we have already, get a chance to show what they can do," said Duxbury.

"What sort of message are we sending out to Freddie Sears if we buy another big-money striker?

"Obviously, we will look to bring in players where we need a bit of cover, but perhaps we will bring in a younger striker and let him learn from the more experienced players."

These latest statements from the club's chief executive may lend weight to stories that chairman Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson has put on hold any major outlays at West Ham until the current economic problems in his native Iceland improve.

Duxbury was quick to scotch rumours that the chairman is having financial trouble at Landsbanki - the Icelandic bank where he is also chairman.

"I think his wealth has gone down from £1.2 billion to £1.1 billion, so I don't think he has too much to worry about!" he said.

"The situation is that he is based in Iceland, but he comes back for every home game and he is really enjoying things.

"I don't think it is a case of anything being put on hold.

"I think he will look to carry on the way things are for another couple of years and then he may come over and take a more hands-on role, but for the moment he is happy for us to deal with the day-to-day running of things," he concluded.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

I agree with Duxbury to a point if it could be guaranteed we would avoid all these injuries next year. Obviously there will be injuries, but all of ours seem to be long term this year, and i dont think it is down to the players purchased and nothing else.
NXA
Location: Russia - protest is not allowed, now go and drink a lot of Vodka and forget about it.

Post by NXA »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:You've done your homework there Fella that's for sure..

But you forgot Luca Toni.. :wink:
SShhhhhh.....don't tell anyone but that is Nani posting on here to find out what we all think :wink:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5672 likes
Total likes: 3089 likes

Post by MB »

Liam wrote:Why does everyone seem so intent on getting rid of Spector, he's only turned 22 and provides us with so much cover, he could be the new football genius!
Because we should have a squad of 22 world class stars. There is no room for low cost, half decent young players who can cover a number of positions!

He is meant to be a nice lad by all accounts and, like Pantsil, is well liked by the rest of the squad.
Last edited by MB on Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clarke

Post by clarke »

Adi Cokers Boots wrote: Billy Gunn :lol: Are we getting Road Dod Jesse James as well :lol:
b*stard :D Beat me to it. So i'll just have to put forward X-Pac
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 3486 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

davids cross wrote:"What sort of message are we sending out to Freddie Sears if we buy another big-money striker?
How convenient that youngest Fred scored on Saturday. If Dux had said that last week he'd be getting slaughtered.

Anyone agree that we don't need a top class striker?
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Up the Junction wrote: How convenient that youngest Fred scored on Saturday. If Dux had said that last week he'd be getting slaughtered.

I was one that said he should be played this year as there is nowt to lose.
Had he not played and of course scored, he may not have played again had Cole came back and we would be in the market for another striker. At least we now know for sure we have an alternative to going out and getting a £7m+ or whatever striker and then Freddie may not have got a look in for the nest year and could have been shipped on...

To answer your question, Ashton, Bellamy, Zamora, Sears, Cole.
We don't need another striker really, but can we take the risk with the injuries staying away?
Last edited by rare as rockinghorse shat on Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

Up the Junction wrote: How convenient that youngest Fred scored on Saturday. If Dux had said that last week he'd be getting slaughtered.

I personally want one UTJ but I have a nasty feeling that I am a bit more ambitious as to where I think we both can and should be aiming for than the board would have us believe they are.