Transfer Window: Summer 2008

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Damn Yankee

Re: Summer transfer talk/rumours

Post by Damn Yankee »

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 15665.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chelsea were also contemplating selling the defender Paulo Ferreira to West Ham United.

The Portuguese international was in talks to replace George McCartney after Sunderland bought their second West Ham defender in the space of a week. The 26-year-old has been sold for £5.5m and will be reunited with Anton Ferdinand. It means West Ham have taken £12.5m off Sunderland – and that figure could have risen further if a £5m bid for Carlton Cole had been accepted.

McCartney had been the subject of a Sunderland bid earlier in the summer but was persuaded to sign a new contract instead. He played in all 38 Premier League games for the Hammers last season, but McCartney's partner has not settled in London and, having joined Sunderland as a 14-year-old in Belfast, he has now performed a U-turn. McCartney becomes Roy Keane's 10th summer signing – the outlay being approximately £36m.

In an unsurprisingly frenzied day of trading there were suggestions from sources at Aston Villa that another West Ham player could be on the move. Dean Ashton was linked with a £15m bid but by early yesterday evening no offer had been submitted while the striker, who recently negotiated a new contract, has made clear that he would only want to leave West Ham for a Champions League club. West Ham's bid for Fenerbahce's Stephen Appiah, who will cost around £5m, was set to go into extra time. The Ghanaian's contract situation apparently means he does not have to sign within the transfer window.
Damn Yankee

Post by Damn Yankee »

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 15665.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chelsea were also contemplating selling the defender Paulo Ferreira to West Ham United.

The Portuguese international was in talks to replace George McCartney after Sunderland bought their second West Ham defender in the space of a week. The 26-year-old has been sold for £5.5m and will be reunited with Anton Ferdinand. It means West Ham have taken £12.5m off Sunderland – and that figure could have risen further if a £5m bid for Carlton Cole had been accepted.

McCartney had been the subject of a Sunderland bid earlier in the summer but was persuaded to sign a new contract instead. He played in all 38 Premier League games for the Hammers last season, but McCartney's partner has not settled in London and, having joined Sunderland as a 14-year-old in Belfast, he has now performed a U-turn. McCartney becomes Roy Keane's 10th summer signing – the outlay being approximately £36m.

In an unsurprisingly frenzied day of trading there were suggestions from sources at Aston Villa that another West Ham player could be on the move. Dean Ashton was linked with a £15m bid but by early yesterday evening no offer had been submitted while the striker, who recently negotiated a new contract, has made clear that he would only want to leave West Ham for a Champions League club. West Ham's bid for Fenerbahce's Stephen Appiah, who will cost around £5m, was set to go into extra time. The Ghanaian's contract situation apparently means he does not have to sign within the transfer window.
Damn Yankee

Post by Damn Yankee »

Sorry for double post.

So did anyone trustworthy actually say there would be a midnight annoucement, or was this some douchebag from WHO that everyone ran with?
03H

Post by 03H »

Your own Kumb.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 223 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Berbatov gone.
The Club can announce that it has reached agreement with Manchester United for the permanent transfer of Dimitar Berbatov for a fee of £30.75m. As part of the settlement the Club has agreed not to pursue its official complaint to the Premier League.

The deal sees Fraizer Campbell coming the other way on a season long loan. Campbell, 20, spent last season on loan at Hull City where his goals played a pivotal role in the Tiger's promotion to the Premier League.
simonirons
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by simonirons »

man, i soo wanna booo someone right now :D
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

So - it looks like

IN
Behrami
One or two teenagers

OUT
Zamora
Paintsil
Anton
McCartney
Solano
Ljungberg
etc

This is going to be a long old season. If we're not in the bottom third of the table on New Year's Day, I am going to be chuffed to bits.
MrR3NO
Has liked: 66 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by MrR3NO »

:thup:
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

Spuds mate just said this to me on msn about there transfer dealings this summer:

Scott | 'Man U use dirty tricks to get player' shocker. says:
im still dissapointed tbh

what a ****
Couttsy

Post by Couttsy »

prophet:marginal wrote:So - it looks like

IN
Behrami
One or two teenagers

OUT
Zamora
Paintsil
Anton
McCartney
Solano
Ljungberg
etc

This is going to be a long old season. If we're not in the bottom third of the table on New Year's Day, I am going to be chuffed to bits.
Every inch the optomist :lol:
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

prophet:marginal wrote:
Agree...i am very worried.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

So basically we have to avoid injuries.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Couttsy wrote: Every inch the optomist :lol:

Yeah, well, when Stoke and Hull demonstrate large amounts more ambition than our board and Fulham and Sunderland have outspent us to an utterly embarrassing degree, there's a certain logic to my view, I'd have thought.

Indeed, I am struggling to name a single club that has demonstrated such a feeble lack of effort in actually strengthening the squad for the season ahead.

We are basically reliant on a large number of sicknotes suddenly finding form/fitness all at the same time.
Memorial Ground

Post by Memorial Ground »

hawkins_hammer wrote:So basically we have to avoid injuries.
How hard can it be?
spyrobear

Post by spyrobear »

Crap. After all the optimism this morining we have nothing.
I am very very worried for AC, I think his days are numbered. There is something happening behind closed doors that BG is doing that may ruin this club.
At least we didnt go for Barton, that would have really peed me off!!!
Oh well, mid table again!!!!!!
03H

Post by 03H »

spyrobear wrote:Crap. After all the optimism this morining we have nothing.
I am very very worried for AC, I think his days are numbered. There is something happening behind closed doors that BG is doing that may ruin this club.
At least we didnt go for Barton, that would have really peed me off!!!
Oh well, mid table again!!!!!!
Mid table might be an over achievement this season.

Very worried if Neill is going to be our new left-back... very worried indeed.
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

Not only do we have to avoid injuries we need to find a left back somewhere within the club who can cross the ball. Hope we haven't got rid of Doris the tea lady too soon. How's her left foot?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

We dont need signings, as curbs has pointed out many times, our injured players coming back are "like new signings".
See, when we call out for new signings, the club employs someone to deliberately injure players, when they come back its "like a new signing for us"

By my reckoning thats about 40-50 signings this and last season. Why is everyone so unhappy, we've signed 40 players.

How awe inspiring.

We are so ****.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1382 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

We have easily bought more money in this last year, and thats with the extra £30m to spend on top too! Bg and Eggy letting us all get excited like the Man City fans are now, but at least they have substance, not empty promises.

I take it Mr duxbury and co will get a real nice East End welcome at the next game and the sooner we see them away from this club the better. Really i'm starting to believe I would be happier in league one if we had a chairman who was one of us and moved heaven and earth to pt the club first rather than his ego and pockets.
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

We are good enough with THE RIGHT MANAGER and Bellamy and ASHTON up front to stay and do well in this league this season i believe.

but let's see if we've added anyone. :crest: