The big Mark Noble debate...

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

The big Mark Noble debate...

Post by Tel The Hammer »

For me Mark Noble has been a bog standard premier league player for at the least the last year, if not the last two years. I can't think of single thing he's done for us since scoring the pen against Liverpool about this time last year and he wasn't exactly standing out around that time either.

At and before the same age as Marky Noble our previous and current youth products have shown more than he has imo. Collison is currently outshining him at premier league level and he has very little top flight experience under his belt.

Because he's a West Ham boy, that doesn't make him a blinding player like many people I've spoken to seem to believe. Yes he tries, but he just seems to have very little influence of football matches he plays in. You might get the odd game where he puts in a decent but not great performance here and there and that'll keep his die hard fans happy for another six months, but that isn't good enough. He should be doing quite a bit better with the experience he's gained.

So for me if we can get a decent enough price for the fella, in between £5m - £8m, we should look at replacing him with someone better and for the kind of money I mention, surely Nani, Zola or even Clarke could pinpoint someone. Obviously the money just can't be pocketed by BG.

Would much rather see Noble go instead of Parker. West Ham boy or not...
Last edited by Tel The Hammer on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rendog2

Re: Flog Noble if the money's right...

Post by rendog2 »

Most people outside the club don't think much of him. It's very very unlikely we'd get offered anywhere near 5-8m for him.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Agree Tel, certainly his position in the Team is one that could/should be strengthend..
bspur1

Post by bspur1 »

I thought Noble was one of the few untouchables on here , time and time again i would think he was our worst player only to come on here and see the mountain of praise for the local lad, IMO he has not improved in two years and shows no great sign of rapid improvement. He is a good squad player at best and what we are lacking is a creative force in the midfield.

The kid tries but he hasn't really fulfilled the early promise he had shown.

All this talk about Arsenal etc being interested I just don't see how he would even sit on their bench.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 673 likes
Total likes: 1286 likes

Post by davids cross »

I've never understood the Noble fanclub on here. His game has not got one outstanding attribute, he's just ok at everything nothing more. You only need to watch Collison for 5 mins to tell he has much more talent. If Noble wasn't a "West Ham boy" he wouldn't get such support...............I have just ensured Noble plays for England and becomes a world star, thank me later :lol:
rendog2

Post by rendog2 »

Collison is definitely something else. I was in the Geordie end today and loads of them were saying how good he looked, was going to be a great player, etc, you don't often hear that from fans of other teams.

Why did he choose to be welsh?
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2549 likes
Total likes: 916 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

davids cross wrote:I've never understood the Noble fanclub on here. His game has not got one outstanding attribute, he's just ok at everything nothing more. You only need to watch Collison for 5 mins to tell he has much more talent. If Noble wasn't a "West Ham boy" he wouldn't get such support...............I have just ensured Noble plays for England and becomes a world star, thank me later :lol:
Lets hope so!! Contrary to most (all?) of the opinions above, I think that although Noble is a good player to have at the club - someone to come in and do a job when required....steady and reliable (..or 'just ok at everything nothing more' to quote DC). His development has somewhat plateau-ed of late but this could turn out to be temporary and also most successful teams have had these sorts of players that won't necessarily set the world on fire but are important cornerstones to a settled side.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

I think Noble is let down because he isn't really an athlete. Collison is tall and well built, and seems to have a good engine, whereas Noble seems to struggle through games and is very leggy. On the ball I'd still say Noble is the best we have, he just struggles to keep up with play at the minute.
Shanghai Hammer

Post by Shanghai Hammer »

I take people's point that he maybe doesn't stand out too much and only being supported because he is a West Ham boy, but the comments remind me of the same things that were said about Lampard before he left. If Noble left I wouldn't be surprised if he developed into an excellent player although I would prefer him to do that at West Ham.
tavbet
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by tavbet »

Christ! We talk about the players having no loyalty!

Just because a young developing player is not progressing to be a workd beater at present people want shot of him! Headbanger Great message for all our up and coming youngsters "make an impact early or you're out of here.

I can just imagine the posts on here if one of our players said "West Ham are just an OK team but are not progressing - I should be playing for someone better"

He's still young and is still developing. He's still considered good enough for the England U-21s (for which he has played blody well by the way). Just give him time.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 330 likes

Post by Major »

tavbet wrote:Christ! We talk about the players having no loyalty!

Just because a young developing player is not progressing to be a workd beater at present people want shot of him! Headbanger Great message for all our up and coming youngsters "make an impact early or you're out of here.

I can just imagine the posts on here if one of our players said "West Ham are just an OK team but are not progressing - I should be playing for someone better"

He's still young and is still developing. He's still considered good enough for the England U-21s (for which he has played blody well by the way). Just give him time.

Agree with all of that
ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Post by ooh look who it is »

Someone talking sense on here makes a very nice change especially this early on a Sunday mroning
party iron

Post by party iron »

:thup: why do we have to sell him? He is not in the best of form we can all see that, but if we have got better players than him drop him to the bench and make him fight for his place back.I remember when carrick was playing for us in the championship i thought the same thing we should sell, lucky we did
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Ozza »

compare him to parker, why?

7 years less experiance at premiership and international level, different types of player etc, id rather we cleared a number of our other players out before a 21 year old whos still developing.

I would say that his role in the team is still unclear, is he a holding player, box to box, attacking option etc, and without that its hard to pin him down.

When Noble first broke through we were banging on about him as much as everyone does about collinson, what happens in two years if Collinson goes through the same loss of form, do we simpy get rid? And what are you going to replace him with, some foreign import who doesnt know anything about this club and fans, might not make it in the prem, or the lad at city whos a nightmare off the field by all accounts.

In many ways he was as instrumental as Tevez when we stayed up

Support him, he seems to have lost his form big time,im sure he'll come good, he's proved it at this level
Last edited by Ozza on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am law

Post by I am law »

New keepnet for Christmas, Tel?

Fwiw, I'd be well disapppointed if we sold Mark Noble. I'd sooner the consistency of players who want to play for the club, than the speed of change and upheaval we've had since Eggy spent all that wedge on ridiculous and unsustainable wage packages for the likes of Neill, Parker and Bellamy.

I make him an important player in the run-in when we stayed up. I also think that Parker's arrival at the club may have limited Noble's development. They are fairly similar players, so our centre mid can suffer if they play together.
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

West Ham fans are the best in the world....... Fickle, Never! :lol:

Sunday is the top day of the week for angling isn't it? :think:
hammer1975
Has liked: 927 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bloke comes over from italy with agent making noises about becoming one of the top players in the prem and implying west ham as stepping stone (possibly dramatic way of putting it but trying to keep with the tone of the thread)...runs around a lot but shows little end product

another bloke comes over for big money on big money after failing to impress at last two clubs, has a mediocre season through form and injury then has a few good games in the following season resulting in his head allegedly turned for big money at the new rich prem club

a young lad comes through the ranks with lots of talent on the ball, one of the best passers at the club, clearly runs himself into the ground each game (although doesn't have a great natural engine),wins rave reviews for u-21's almost every game but at club level is not either (a) coached to better fitness levels or (b) coached particularly into either a holding or attacking midfield game....has our second highest number of assists last season besides CFC's backside despite barely being a regular....

and which one do people want rid of?

FFS
Devils Advocate
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

While I'm not saying we should get rid, to say it's early in his career is a bit misleading. It's now 4 years since he debuted. While you can expect some inconsistencies in the early stages of a player' career, you would also hope to be seeing signs of progression. In Noble's case, I feel he has stagnated over the last couple of years. There was a spell during last season when his set-pieces looked highly promising, but that aspect seems to have regressed this year. Lots of players have looked good at under-21 but not pushed on to better things, so I don't take that as a good guide (recent examples - NRC, CFC, Steven Taylor).

Good squad player or lower half prem regular, not (IMO) likely to be a regular for a side that wants to challenge for a European spot.

As for the comparison with Lampard that someone made, again I think that's misleading. For all the issues around whether he was being picked for family reasons, even at that stage of his career it was obvious that he brought something exceptional to the game, which was his ability to score regularly from the middle of the park. What Noble lacks is that something a bit more special in at least one part of his game that sets him apart from the rest.
martwhu

Post by martwhu »

If the money was right and Zola got to spend the fee recieved to replace a player i'd sell any of our players, there is someone better in every position somewhere in the world.
But as for the slating of Noble just because another player in the team is looking better than him at the moment is a bit harsh. Sell him and bring in another Jonny Foreigner who don't give two monkeys about West Ham. I for one would want Noble in my team fighting for his club in a relegation battle instead of: Faubert, Di Michelle, Tristian, Ilunga etc etc......
Italian Hammer
Total likes: 281 likes

Post by Italian Hammer »

I agree that young Mark seems to have stagnated somewhat over the past 18 months or so, but to suggest selling him at this stage of his career would be wrong.

I think he needs a break, to get out of the limelight for a while. Remember that during our now (in)famous great escape season a lot of pressure was put on his shoulders. He played a lot of football, and has continued to do so ever since. I believe that that has started to impact on his form.

Ideally, we would be able to take him out of the team for a while, get him back into training and working on his passing, ball skills etc etc. However, given the current state of the squad this won't happen for some time.