The big Mark Noble debate...

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Re: The big Mark Noble debate...

Post by Puff Daddy »

Give the ball away too much That is very, very costly in this league and he also lacks pace and I think is a poor reader of the game. Was great in t' Fizzy Pop, which suggests that is probably his level
SL

Post by SL »

Puff Daddy wrote:Give the ball away too much That is very, very costly in this league and he also lacks pace and I think is a poor reader of the game. Was great in t' Fizzy Pop, which suggests that is probably his level
I have to agree with all of that.

Also, I always hoped that he would become the type of player who would grab a game by the scruff of the neck by unfortunately this never happened.
JBs Caravan

Post by JBs Caravan »

If a new gaffer is appointed in nxt few days,he would be one of the first out of the door
mug twitchy off,offer around 3million
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1975 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I think the games he's played in either side of his injury he aint done bad compared to early season. He is, unfortunately just a very average prem player.Although I would rather see an english, west ham supporting average player than some over paid no-mark(no pun intended) foreigner turning out for us every week though.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

I guess I'm on my own here then... :lol:
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

It is always difficult to admit that ones' heroes have feet of clay...

He was disappointing yesterday failing to get away from the first opponent to make space despite having good possession...

But the whole team passed deplorably..perhaps it was just too clogged up in the midfield and a lack of runners.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1887 likes
Total likes: 1599 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Fionn Kiely wrote:I guess I'm on my own here then... :lol:
No you ain't FK..I am on my own too !!!!

:lol:
I am Legend
Has liked: 1553 likes
Total likes: 1619 likes

Post by I am Legend »

he was diabolical against villa in the first half. he gave the ball away every time he got into the thier half, it was ridiculous and so obviouslt going to happen every time he got the ball. "watch this, noble will give it away" i said to my dad every time he had it...and every time he did.

that being said, he was better in the second half, he plays much better when he is sitting back near where kovac would be playing.

hopefully he can get a few games there when kovac isnt in the team.

i still like him alot, just wish he had a quicker brain when it came to being an attacking midfielder. maybe he will improve a in the next few years
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1887 likes
Total likes: 1599 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

However, wasn't NOT the only guilty party in the first half, but people like to keep piling..

Faubert gave away the ball so easily then when Kovac got it back he gave up the "foul" and the phantom booking that accompanied it... Cannot remember ONE decent pass from Collison, Parker was VERY hit and miss, Kovac was an train wreck waiting to happen at times..Tomkins played well, but made one or two errors and had it not been for Greeny at the "death" after Upson got turned WAY too easily by Gabonglahor (as he did with the shot that Green saved in the first half......For an international defender he could have easily costs us TWO "goals" there had not his keeper bailed him out.....Only one who came out of the first half with any REAL credit was young Nouble....(and Green of course but what WAS he thinking when trying to jink around Carew ~ I have no clue at all)....
WHUTerry

Post by WHUTerry »

I don't think there's a player I want to see succeed more than Noble, but it's not happening at the moment. He's suffering from the Academy curse, where we assume coming through our youth ranks automatically makes someone a great player. He's not there unfortunately. If you're the attacking midfielder, you need to be dictating the play and scoring. He isn't doing either at present. Sad to see him go but if he continues to not move forward as a player, there may be little option. Yesterday was a prime example of how little he is offering at the moment. Poor distribution, especially in the first half. Play like that at this level and you'll get destroyed.
potts4

Post by potts4 »

There is still time for him but in an ideal world he would not have been relied upon so much in the last few years. If we did not have the problems we have had then Parker would have been brought a proper centre midfield partner. As it is we have had Noble, Collison and a converted Behrami, with Kovac brought due to his cheapness.

Noble needs some time on the bench. Just like when the loan moves made him hungry when he first broke through in the Premiership, he needs something to remind him he needs to fight for his first team place.

I really don't want to see him sold though, because someone will pick him up on the cheap. I still feel that with age, he will prove that he is a useful player to have around.
smuts
Has liked: 1493 likes
Total likes: 1429 likes

Post by smuts »

Have to admit...he was absolutely abysmal yesterday...especially in the first half.

Mind you....Collison wasn't much better.

Behrami was okay....until he had to kick the ball............. :lol:
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 673 likes
Total likes: 1286 likes

Post by davids cross »

He starts the match looking absolutely knackered and goes downhill from there......... :lol:
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

The one aspect of his game it looks as though he will never be able to improve is his pace, which is lets be honest ****ing awful.

Collison isn't much better in this respect but seems to have more of an ability to pass and move the ball through the middle of a defence.

I would like to see Noble having more of a crack at goal now, it's imo one of the things he has brought to this team when he has been playing well and scoring goals. Shooting and scoring in and just outside the penalty box. When do you see him doing that nowadays?
bigfatjeff

Post by bigfatjeff »

Potts4 wrote 'I really don't want to see him sold though, because someone will pick him up on the cheap. I still feel that with age, he will prove that he is a useful player to have around.'

I agree. Obviously Stuart Pearce saw him as good enough to captain the under 21 side. He may well need a break and/or time to recover from niggly injuries. Much more pressing problems are, for example, Faubert's inability to recognise what kit we are playing in and pass to one of our own players.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

And he looks Ukrainian.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:And he looks Ukrainian.
Think he looks more Moldovan myself.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Double racist.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1179 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I think Noble has been a victim of our system, same as Collison.

Both of them are too expansive to play as holding players. Both aren't quick or mobile enough to play wide, and neither score enough goals to play as the main link between attack and midfield, (not that anybody in our midfield scores any goals.)

In a basic 4-4-2 with both as central midfielders and two proper wingers, I think they would look better.

People are forgetting that Noble had an excellent game against Chelsea when we drew with them, and he has had niggling injuries all season. Selling him would be a drastic move, but if we intend to keep the system we are playing now, he needs to adapt his game to suit a specific role.
stu1
Has liked: 657 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

derek zoolander wrote:The one aspect of his game it looks as though he will never be able to improve is his pace, which is lets be honest f***ing awful.

Collison isn't much better in this respect but seems to have more of an ability to pass and move the ball through the middle of a defence.

I would like to see Noble having more of a crack at goal now, it's imo one of the things he has brought to this team when he has been playing well and scoring goals. Shooting and scoring in and just outside the penalty box. When do you see him doing that nowadays?
Ive got to say i think Collison although not exactly quick is nowhere near as slow as noble and easily capable of beating his man. Needs to be played centrally though, he is trying develop in the hardest league in the world in a struggling team and i dont think playing him out wide is doing him any favours.