The big Mark Noble debate...

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Re: Flog Noble if the money's right...

Post by Rocketron »

RM9 wrote:The same Mark Noble that according to several ITK's, was trying to get a move away from UP?

It's not knee jerk, it's my (and a few others) opinion that Noble will not blossom into the player we were all hoping for. I'd love him to prove me wrong.

FWIW, I don't think previous managers have helped his cause bu rushing him into first team football week in / week out. The same could be said about J Cole's apprenticeship at West Ham.
I think that was his frustration at being asked to play a defensive role by Curbs. I've not heard any rumours that he is currently unhappy.
Maybe Chalks( I think it was his post) or others can confirm?
kevin bell

Post by kevin bell »

Spot on Tavbet, :raver:

Christ! We talk about the players having no loyalty! Headbanger

Just because a young developing player is not progressing to be a workd beater at present people want shot of him! Great message for all our up and coming youngsters "make an impact early or you're out of here.

I can just imagine the posts on here if one of our players said "West Ham are just an OK team but are not progressing - I should be playing for someone better"

He's still young and is still developing. He's still considered good enough for the England U-21s (for which he has played blody well by the way). Just give him time. :thup:
norfolk_hammer

Post by norfolk_hammer »

Mark is a WH fan as much as we all are, and I think it would be terrible if he were to look on here (he obviously knows about KUMB), and saw what some think of him. Jack Collison has not had the impact that Mark had when he first came into the team, yet he is talked of like a worldbeater. JC is a good player and a great prospect, so is Mark and he should be backed all the way.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

norfolk_hammer wrote:Mark is a WH fan as much as we all are
Jack Collison has not had the impact that Mark had when he first came into the team, .
On the first point and this isn't aimed at Mark Noble just the "he's a West Ham fan" that gets blurted out so often. I actually want good players to play for West Ham, if they are West Ham fans then so much the better but I don't want average players in the team just because they are West Ham fans when they are clearly not good enough, I can think of quite a few off hand from down the years. Personally I want West Ham supporting players who are actually very good. (this is a general point not really aimed at the poster or Noble) just a mistake fans make imo.

On the second point about Collison, I actually think Jack has made more of an impact. Noble made his debut in the First Division and played about 10 games and I believe then went out of the side for a long, long period. Jack has had to make his debut in the PL and has already made more starts than Noble did in his first spell in the first team and has kept his place over a long period.
Hammer Tom

Post by Hammer Tom »

Did anyone else at the game yesterday see how he just walked straight off after the final whistle not even applauding the support.
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

norfolk_hammer wrote:Jack Collison has not had the impact that Mark had when he first came into the team, yet he is talked of like a worldbeater..
I tend to disagree...

For me Collison has put in better displays this season than Noble ever has done at Premier League level. Noble put some good shows in when he came into the side when we stayed up, but Collison has shown much more guile and technique this season than Noble ever has done infront of my eyes.

I know at this stage of proceedings who I'd rather keep.

Collison quite simply looks a much better midfielder than Noble to me.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

davids cross wrote: On the first point and this isn't aimed at Mark Noble just the "he's a West Ham fan" that gets blurted out so often. I actually want good players to play for West Ham, if they are West Ham fans then so much the better but I don't want average players in the team just because they are West Ham fans when they are clearly not good enough, I can think of quite a few off hand from down the years. Personally I want West Ham supporting players who are actually very good. (this is a general point not really aimed at the poster or Noble) just a mistake fans make imo.
It makes a difference in my book. Obviously I want good players at the club too but I'd like to believe that playing for West Ham means more to Mark Noble than it would Craig Bellamy. There is without a doubt a sense of childhood nostalgia within the premise but the ideal of having West Ham fans playing for West Ham is a notion I hold dear.
davids cross
Uncle David

Post by davids cross »

Tel The Hammer wrote:
There isn't any doubt in my mind about that. Colison has just been slightly off the pace in the last few games (natural reaction which would be expected at some point). If we get the chance to look at both players ten years down the line Collison will be widely regarded as a much better player. He has so much more potential in physical way and is just a better footballer.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Bang on DC

I dont think we should sell Noble but I see him as a squad player a modern day Geoff Pike if you like
davids cross
Uncle David

Post by davids cross »

Marky wrote:Bang on DC

I dont think we should sell Noble but I see him as a squad player a modern day Geoff Pike if you like
Mate, if Noble turns out like Geoff Pike I would be delighted. A player who was vilified in the late 70s but turned into an outstanding player for us. Pike was a water carrier, bloody good one though imo.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Where did this thread come from?

Not been as good as he can be this season, but still a good PL player, and still, what, 21?

Give the lad a chance, he's still improving. Give it 3-5 years, eh?
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Noble seems to me to be a naturally instinctive footballer (one of the few we have that can see a pass) he looked at his best when he had players around him on the same wavelength, Tevez, Benayoun and even Zamora all saw the game the same way Noble does and so they complimented each other. As has been said he went backwards unders Curbs in that defensive role but if Zola is looking to add footballers back into the squad Noble will benefit from that.

Collison is much more of an athlete and he has great feet in tight spots but as of yet he doesn't always see the big picture when he is on the ball in the way Noble can do. Noble seems to have a greater appreciation of what is around him than a lot of our players who tend to get the ball and then try and decide what they will do with it. That may come for Collison but I would think it is easier to get Noble fitter than it is to get Collison to see the killer pass.

They are both good young players and we should be thrilled to have either never mind both. There are a number of players in the squad that I would much rather see moved to raise 5M than Noble. Out of interest who would people consider a suitable replacement?
SenzaPaura

Post by SenzaPaura »

Tel The Hammer wrote:I tend to disagree...

For me Collison has put in better displays this season than Noble ever has done at Premier League level. Noble put some good shows in when he came into the side when we stayed up, but Collison has shown much more guile and technique this season than Noble ever has done infront of my eyes.

I know at this stage of proceedings who I'd rather keep.

I'll give you that. Just. Collison is much easier on the eye. He is as elegant on the ball as any midfielder we've had since Benayoun and looks capable of striking a ball with the best of them but, and this is a big but, he has utterly failed to produce any kind of passing range so far. So yes he may be very pleasing on the eye but he doesn't yet provide the functionality for the team as Mark Noble did, and despite so much criticism, still does. As much as people might attack Noble for being unable to beat a man, they don't seem prepared to admit that Collison has shown very little vision beyond a simple 4 yard pass. And you know what, that's actually quite important for a midfielder. Remove Noble from the side and we're left with who exactly? Parker is tidy but I think his role in the team is perfect as it is and we should avoid changing it. I know this is where you say we should sell him and get someone even better, but why not sell Collison instead? We can do a lot better than him too.

I think they can work together. No, I know they can. We've watched them in the last few months form, along with Parker and Behrami, a midfield that we are all rightly proud of. I don't see the point in shipping one off for the sake of improvement when we could make more of a case for the other if we are honest with ourselves.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Collison's cross with the outside of his foot for Cole against Stoke was the pass of the season for me by a country mile, while his finish against Everton probably matched it as an indicator of quality........

Noble is being given the "star" role - the Lampard / Berkovic position - is he delivering? Would Collison/Savio do better?

If the answer is yes, then where does Noble play? He isn't athletic/mobile enough to fill Parker or Behrami's boots......

Personally I'm ready to see Savio on the left and Collison given a go in the Lampard position.....

Noble's a tidy player....one I'd like to see retained...... but Parker and Collison are the only untouchables for me in our midfield...
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

bubbles1966 wrote:
Personally I'm ready to see Savio on the left and Collison given a go in the Lampard position.....
I'd like to see that too. Always a good indicator when a player plays very well out of his natural position (in fairness Noble has done this too at times).

I like the fact that they are both competent Prem players at a pretty young age. Hopefully they will develop and improve for us over the next 6-8 years - in which case we'll have done bloody well out of them.
RWJ

Post by RWJ »

I wouldnt flog him, I thought he done well yesterday, was creative and was a lovely ball which sent DDM through one one one which he fluffed!!

I was critical of him before yesterday, but it looks as if he has been given a kick up the arse after he got subbed.
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

He does seem to have gone backwards a bit under Zola whereas others ahve been shipped out or improved. I still hope he will get bakc to his best and start scoringa again and settting more up. Confidence and a bit more coaching and we'll see him start to improve again. Give the lad some support! :crest:
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Hammer Tom wrote:Did anyone else at the game yesterday see how he just walked straight off after the final whistle not even applauding the support.
:thdn: if true..
Chavs
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by Chavs »

Hammer Tom wrote:Did anyone else at the game yesterday see how he just walked straight off after the final whistle not even applauding the support.
Not just Noble though was it.....

Saying that there was a lot of muggy supporters up there on Saturday I was in the lower and the geezer in front of me was an absolute tool and embarrased himself and his young son by acting a twat.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

[quote="I8CHAVS"]

Not just Noble though was it.....

Saying that there was a lot of muggy supporters up there on Saturday I was in the lower and the geezer in front of me was an absolute tool and embarrased himself and his young son by acting a twat.[/quote]

T'wat was he doing ??