The big Mark Noble debate...

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

m-h

Re: Flog Noble if the money's right...

Post by m-h »

and 5 of 6 from spot if i'mcorrect.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am law

Post by I am law »

Very good goal from Mark today.
m-h

Post by m-h »

I am law wrote:Very good goal from Mark today.
yes it was, outside of right boot and across keeper in off of right peg. Well taken. :raver:
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

While we are talking about the goal, lets not underate either LBM, or Tristans contributions.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2380 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Chuck D wrote:
Well Morroco, thats a good question, glad you asked....

In comparison to Noble.

This is Collison's first full year, its Nobles fifth. It would be reasonable to expect that a player in his fifth season in the first team would be more capable than a player in his first - no? Perhaps some would argue that its not Jack's first season as he played two games (compared to Nobles 21 - including on loan games - in his first full season). Even so, the difference is marked.

Collison - 16 (inc 2 as a sub) games, three goals in the league. Better than 1 in every five starts.

Noble - 21 games (one as a sub), three goals in the league. Almost 1 in seven. One of those is a penalty. So one goal every ten games from open play.

Also, Collison has performed at the highest level in his first full season, whereas Noble was playing at a lower level.

Plus, for a player in his first season, Collison is outscored by only DDM, and Cole.

Finally, from a totally subjective view, Collison at no point has looked out of his depth, hasnt thrown himself into tackles that he shouldnt, nor has he lost composure when he has lost the ball.

I'm here to help. :lol:
Thing is Chucky, stats can be skewed to suit any argument even a flawed one... :wink:
In all competitions its 5 in 25 for Noble and 3 in 16 for Collison - 1 in 5 for both. As I suspected much of a muchness....
If you're suggesting that Collison's impressive displays have been magnified by the fact that it is his first full season (and no one really expected a great deal) then I'd have to agree with you... :wink:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1959 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Apple and Oranges methinks.

Go back and see where Noble was in his first full season (the Great Escape maybe) and he played just as an important role as some on here think that Collison is doing.

Fast forward 5 years and maybe, just maybe Collison is in the same place, i.e. some fans calling for him to be sold, some asking for him to be held because he is going through a blip and we should be more patient with 21 year old players.

The bloody things that you learn on here eh ???
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 801 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

'ouston 'ammer wrote:Apple and Oranges methinks.

Go back and see where Noble was in his first full season (the Great Escape maybe) and he played just as an important role as some on here think that Collison is doing.

Fast forward 5 years and maybe, just maybe Collison is in the same place, i.e. some fans calling for him to be sold, some asking for him to be held because he is going through a blip and we should be more patient with 21 year old players.

The bloody things that you learn on here eh ???
ouston me old China, your struck the nail firmly on the head.

Noble has seemed to go off the boil this season, but then again you could argue the same with Lucas Neil last season - but then we're back to your oranges and apples aren't we.

A bit of competition for his place I believe will give him some focus.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1290 likes

Post by davids cross »

Clever goal, outside of the right foot...........I could have scored it of course :lol:
dmondragon

Post by dmondragon »

Tel The Hammer wrote:For me Mark Noble has been a bog standard premier league player for at the least the last year, if not the last two years. I can't think of single thing he's done for us since scoring the pen against Liverpool about this time last year and he wasn't exactly standing out around that time either.

At and before the same age as Marky Noble our previous and current youth products have shown more than he has imo. Collison is currently outshining him at premier league level and he has very little top flight experience under his belt.

Because he's a West Ham boy, that doesn't make him a blinding player like many people I've spoken to seem to believe. Yes he tries, but he just seems to have very little influence of football matches he plays in. You might get the odd game where he puts in a decent but not great performance here and there and that'll keep his die hard fans happy for another six months, but that isn't good enough. He should be doing quite a bit better with the experience he's gained.

So for me if we can get a decent enough price for the fella, in between £5m - £8m, we should look at replacing him with someone better and for the kind of money I mention, surely Nani, Zola or even Clarke could pinpoint someone. Obviously the money just can't be pocketed by BG.

Would much rather see Noble go instead of Parker. West Ham boy or not...
You know nothing about football, Noble is Ronaldihno for Parker
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Chuck D wrote:While we are talking about the goal, lets not underate either LBM, or Tristans contributions.
Lets not underestimate exactly how much Noble had to do though. It's not like they cleared the path for him.
I am law

Post by I am law »

It was a very well-taken goal. Other people did well to put the ball on the end of his boot, but he still had a lot to do.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

If Zola keeps playing Noble next season, it's for a reason.
We'll have three good attacking midfielders next season in Noble, Collison and Savio.
Just the amount of competition we need for those spots.
Throw Behrami into the mix, and whoever is going to play, will need to up his game.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

Collison will end up being a far better player than Noble, not saying i'd flog Noble but i dont see where he fits in to the team when everyone is fit..
I am law

Post by I am law »

carnage wrote:Collison will end up being a far better player than Noble, not saying i'd flog Noble but i dont see where he fits in to the team when everyone is fit..
Behrami's return to previous energy levels could still be as much as 6 months away, though.

Added to that the possible need to rotate to keep things fresh on two fronts...
EKL

Post by EKL »

Chuck D wrote:While we are talking about the goal, lets not underate either LBM, or Tristans contributions.
LBM was offside, inexcusable from his position relative to the back line, Tristan had a decent touch, but as stated above Noble did most of the work. Really impressive shot.
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

carnage wrote:Collison will end up being a far better player than Noble, not saying i'd flog Noble but i dont see where he fits in to the team when everyone is fit..
If he's happy to be back up / a squad player, then all well and good as I've said before.

Can't see him settling for that though...
Syphalis

Post by Syphalis »

Nobles still a young lad, hes nowhere near his prime yet, Midfielders usually come of age mid-late 20's....Nobes is still learning his trade, be patient with him. Look at how he boss's U21 midfield matches, he is head and shoulders above anything at that level. If we sold him, Im sure he'd develop and come back to bite us on the arse
Zatopek

Post by Zatopek »

I wouldn't advocate flogging Noble under any circumstances.

Perhaps just beat the soles of his feet with a leather strap. Flogging seems a little harsh.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

John D wrote:I wouldn't advocate flogging Noble under any circumstances.

Perhaps just beat the soles of his feet with a leather strap. Flogging seems a little harsh.
But for the right price?
irving boleyn
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Well, I've never seen Noble have a bad game.

He aims high.......find a player in space who can develop the attack seems to be his method.

Which is a little more difficult than pushing the ball along the line of defenders.

So trying for that more difficult pass will incur more higher profile errors.

He does seem to be less effective the longer the game goes on (Except against Liverpool!)