The big Mark Noble debate...

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

SenzaPaura

Re: Flog Noble if the money's right...

Post by SenzaPaura »

Ah famously loyal supporters as always. Amazing really. The same Neanderthals who boo the likes of Reo-Coker and Benayoun for wanting to move to bigger and better clubs are now trying to kick out an accomplished young midfielder who gives his all for the club and is claret and blue to boot in favour of Scott Parker. I don't care what the hype is around Collison, he has yet to put in any kind of midfield performance like Noble's against Bolton in 06/07, and has yet to display anywhere near the range of passing Noble has in every season he has played for us (albiet his passing wasn't on show against Newcastle). Collison plays further forward, gets into the box more often and scores goals. He's a very good young player but let's not kid ourselves, the main reason we're so glad to have him in the team at the moment is because prior to him we were failing to score from midfield. Collison has yet to show he can play in a more restrained midfield. Noble was much better against Chelsea, and in two years time when Collison isn't world class by 22 it will be him being dismissed as bog standard.

The **** atmosphere at our place is very much understandable when you come on a forum and see you lot even refuse to get behind a lad like Noble, let alone the LBM's and Carlton Cole's.
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Noble's a very capable player, one that is good to have in the squad. I reckon his technique will improve in time and he'll become a very solid premiership player. Not gonna write him off at 21.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Too slow to play the holding role regularly or the wide roles.

But the head of the midfield diamond? Could be his place.(only issue is that it will be Dyer's position as well)

He can pick a pass......he is a very decent finisher usually......

Reminds me of Lampard. The qualities, and limitations, are the same. Therefore the ideal position is the same.

I reckon he could get 10 goals a season in that position (however so could Collison etc)

Let's keep them all and concentrate on improving the real weak part of the team (whoever is meant to partner Upson...... Collins has struggled against nearly every quick footed/quick witted player I've seen him against in the last 3 months).
VivaBobbyMoore

Post by VivaBobbyMoore »

I think his development may have been hampered by previous regimes / tactics.

I reckon he'll kick on now under Zola and Clarke and show us what we knew he was capable of.

Get off his back ffs!!
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Agreed Bubbles. Upson needs a quicker partner.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Keep him I say. Seems to be a reliable penalty taker.
flab

Post by flab »

Tel The Hammer wrote:Because he's a West Ham boy, that doesn't make him a blinding player like many people I've spoken to seem to believe.
O/T, but I would say the same about Sears.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Didn't shine yesterday,but

Didnt he win the game for us against Barnsley?

Pin point free kick for a Lluanga tap in.

Got goalside of two defenders to win a penalty and then score it.

Received ball in a tight position and laid it off to Lluanga in space for the measured assist.

Zola is right to develop his attacking qualities. He is not a defender.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 1386 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Watch him against his peers at international level and he looks a different player imo and is a level above lots of them in certain respects, which I think is the best marker for him at this stage of his development!

Noble needs to work out his place in the team and his best position... which I believe is the position currently played by Parker, but he just needs time to develop the skills to play that position!

When Dyer is back to full fitness I think we will see Noble drop to the bench and become a good squad player coming in for either of Dyer, Collison or Behrami when needed! As this sort of figure in the squad he is still likely to feature in around 20-30 league games a season with abit of pressure taken off him to allow him to develop more naturally!

Flog him? Noooo... allow him time to develop without necessarily being a first choice? Yessss
Myron T Buttram
Probed by aliens

Post by Myron T Buttram »

tavbet wrote:Christ! We talk about the players having no loyalty!

Just because a young developing player is not progressing to be a workd beater at present people want shot of him! Headbanger Great message for all our up and coming youngsters "make an impact early or you're out of here.

I can just imagine the posts on here if one of our players said "West Ham are just an OK team but are not progressing - I should be playing for someone better"

He's still young and is still developing. He's still considered good enough for the England U-21s (for which he has played blody well by the way). Just give him time.
These are the same sorts that said Frank Junior was fat and lazy, Carrick was a waste of space and Joe Cole was all showboat and no end product; in the end they get on the players backs and they can't wait to go somewhere else. When Carrick went there was a feeling on here that it was a job well done. Years back they would have been trying to get Brooking sold because he didn't tackle or head the ball.

Perhaps some the "experts" on here will be much happier when we have a weekly parade of faceless journeyman Italians that we have to Wikipedia and Youtube at the point of signing so we know who the f*** they are (and we can learnedly inform what a great signing they would be to all and sundry, as they are doing great on Championship Manager).

Players like Noble Collison and Sears are the beating heart of a club like ours and gives us as supporters the identity and credibility that I pity the supporters of L'Arse and Chelski for lacking. We should be supporting them to the hilt as they are the heroes living the dream we all wished as kids we could be (OK, Collison came from Cambridge but you get the point).

If Noble's staminia is lack that is down to the club to address in training and conditioning. If Chelsea can turn Lampard into a 6 pack toting goal scoring machine that makes Real Madrid sit up and take notice then the right training, coaching and correct positioning of Noble will be of benefit to all of us. I personally thought he had a good game yesterday; if he had slotted that one-on-one past Given (who played out of his skin yesterday) this thread wouldn't exist. Don't forget he is our nominated Pen taker too, we don't get them very often and his record is good.

Sometimes I come on here and despair.
Trap1
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Trap1 »

Major wrote:

Agree with all of that
And so do i!!! (Now there's a first)
woodford
Has liked: 419 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

noble fan club???

No that would been the case many moons ago, but now it seems WHU fans are as loyal as Pascal Chimbonda and as encouraging as a hasty call from your doctor 2 days after a test for bollock rot.

Mark Noble will be a better player than flash Nige, and some of you were in tears when that turd left.

Why the f*ck would any decent player seriously want to grace Upton Park with their presence, knowing that there'll be a chorus line 'hammers' ready to tell him where he's going wrong

He hasnt played to his potential, but dont tell me he's worse than Bling boy Nige when Saint Martin signed him

And if we're talking about not playing to potential then you can add Sears, Ashton, Cole and even Craig 'suddenly best thing since sliced bread' Bellamy.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Flog Mullins not Noble,
Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

tavbet wrote:Christ! We talk about the players having no loyalty!

Just because a young developing player is not progressing to be a workd beater at present people want shot of him! Headbanger Great message for all our up and coming youngsters "make an impact early or you're out of here.

I can just imagine the posts on here if one of our players said "West Ham are just an OK team but are not progressing - I should be playing for someone better"

He's still young and is still developing. He's still considered good enough for the England U-21s (for which he has played blody well by the way). Just give him time.
Too right! I think if anything it's him trying too hard that affects his play. :crest:
tjr008
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by tjr008 »

i'm sorry, i don't often post on here, but this is such a ludicrous concept i feel obliged.

Although he isn't the finished article, he has excellent ball control, early release passing, engine, enthusiasm, tackling ability and skill to take people on with his back to a man with a change of pace and direction. Also, he has a talent for getting into the box, something which he will improve on with games and a settled position in the side.

To sell someone with this potential, and replace him with who exactly . I would sooner lose Parker who, at 28/29 is as good as he is going to get. [Note: I would even sooner lose neither].

too many West Ham fans are eager to praise the next boy along, and are not realising Noble is still a young and improving player himself. I believe he can be our Leon Osman, who often plays numerous roles for Everton, always competantly and entusiastically, and will win a few matches with a quick pass, a cheeky goal or by lifting the crowd and team with his enthusiasm.

To summise, to sell Noble would be ludicrous, he needs time, support, encouragement and training and he will slog his guts out for west ham. This is not because he is a 'local lad' i dont give a rats about that, i see a good footballer emerging there.
woodford
Has liked: 419 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

tjr008 wrote:i'm sorry, i don't often post on here, but this is such a ludicrous concept i feel obliged.

Although he isn't the finished article, he has excellent ball control, early release passing, engine, enthusiasm, tackling ability and skill to take people on with his back to a man with a change of pace and direction. Also, he has a talent for getting into the box, something which he will improve on with games and a settled position in the side.

To sell someone with this potential, and replace him with who exactly . I would sooner lose Parker who, at 28/29 is as good as he is going to get. [Note: I would even sooner lose neither].

too many West Ham fans are eager to praise the next boy along, and are not realising Noble is still a young and improving player himself. I believe he can be our Leon Osman, who often plays numerous roles for Everton, always competantly and entusiastically, and will win a few matches with a quick pass, a cheeky goal or by lifting the crowd and team with his enthusiasm.

To summise, to sell Noble would be ludicrous, he needs time, support, encouragement and training and he will slog his guts out for west ham. This is not because he is a 'local lad' i dont give a rats about that, i see a good footballer emerging there.

:thup: you put it better than i did
kasabian
Has liked: 1 like

Post by kasabian »

It smells very much of the Lampard situation, £8million seemed a good price, now look what he has turned into. We need a bit of patience, he has quality undoubtedly.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

KIALOS wrote: Too right! I think if anything it's him trying too hard that affects his play. :crest:
could be spot on there
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3680 likes
Total likes: 2384 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

I've noticed this attitude to Noble creeping in of late on here. Load of b*llocks in my opinion. It's no wonder our young players end up moving on...Sure he's not really imposing himself on games yet but how old is he? For me, he's just about the most naturally gifted player we've got. He lacks pace and is not really a dribbler but his touch and vision is better than anything else we've got. He works his socks off and our set pieces are much better when he takes them despite what many would say...I fail too see how people can be praising our recent form using the diamond and yet divorce Noble's contribution to that - he's playing at the point of it for ****'s sake. I think he's coming along just fine and I'm convinced there's a real player there. Stick him in Arsenal or Chelsea's midfield and see what you'd get....
Maybe it's because Collison's flavour of the month?
This thread has given me the right hump :thdn:
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

It annoys me the way the few of our Supporters jump on local loyal West Ham Players, we have let too much True Talent leave and then we come to hate them.

NO WAY must be Noble be sold, he is happy and watching yesterday's game he is playing well.

I am more concerned about the number of no mark players we have signed over the years!