The big Mark Noble debate...

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Re: Flog Noble if the money's right...

Post by bubbles1966 »

And Makelele was well known for his pace.
Of the top of my head I can't think of a quick holding player, as it's not a role that requires pace, but being able to read the game.

if anything lack of pace makes you play there. Makele hardly a whippit! Mascherano the same.
Sorry chaps but I think you both substantially underestimate both those players athleticism - both in terms of stamina and short distance (15-20 yards) speed.......

Noble is a good passer, excellent finisher.......but one of the slowest midfield players I've seen at West Ham in 35 years......

I've seen enough of people like Palacios ghosting past him like he was invisible and treading treacle to believe that a defensively minded role, especially in an ordinary midfield 4, plays to his weaknesses....

His future must be in a Lampard/Berkovic type role. He has the intelligence and technique.
giblet
Has liked: 1 like

Post by giblet »

bubbles1966 wrote:His future must be in a Lampard/Berkovic type role. He has the intelligence and technique.
Noble definitely needs better on-the-ball technique. He has obviously been practising, and occasionally tries a bit of flash dribbling, which doesn't come off, but I hope that he persists in it.

I also hope that Dyer may stay fit and inspire a little boldness/panache.
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

Noble's problem is that he can run about as fast as Teddy Sheringham, which can't help in the league we're playing in.

I think tehnically he's pretty good and he's now trying to get upfield a bit more, which our midfielders are guilty of not doing enough i think. His chance yesterday is a good example of this.

No way we should sell him, not yet anyway. Only if he became surplus to requirments or a liability.
The Archduke

Post by The Archduke »

Noble must stay - there are many players we should ship out before him

In no particular order (apart from DDM)

DDM - He has to be first out the door
Neill
Gabbidon
Lopez
LBM
Mullins
Spector
Faubert
Davenport

Noble will develop into a great player and will have a great career = hopefully with us
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

I still stand by my guns here.

This kid frustrates me more and more as the weeks go on.

For the role he plays in our team he's just quite simply not good enough. If he wasn't a West Ham boy our fans would be well after him. I've done all the home games (but only 3 aways I'll admit) and no matter how average he performs he still can't put a foot wrong with our support.

Savio or Kovac in thank you please.

If the right money comes in for him in the summer, flog him...
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Tel The Hammer wrote:I still stand by my guns here.

For the role he plays in our team he's just quite simply not good enough. If he wasn't a West Ham boy our fans would be well after him. I've done all the home games (but only 3 aways I'll admit) and no matter how average he performs he still can't put a foot wrong with our support.

He is still a young player.
He should be rested on a regular basis.
As should Collison.
Stratford Hammer
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Stratford Hammer »

I believe the majority of our chances today came from his through balls, both on the ground and over the top.

He has an eye for a pass like few others in the team, a very valuable ability, particularly in a team with limited attacking options.

He is still only 21 and will only improve.

To suggest flogging him is absurd.
Hammer81

Post by Hammer81 »

I don't think we should be selling him yet, but he hasn't been performing well enough of late. We need to strengthen our midfield so we can put the likes of Noble and Collison on the bench every now and then and give them a rest.

Complacency and/or over-exposure can be a problem with young players.
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

Hammer81 wrote:I don't think we should be selling him yet, but he hasn't been performing well enough of late. We need to strengthen our midfield so we can put the likes of Noble and Collison on the bench every now and then and give them a rest.

Complacency and/or over-exposure can be a problem with young players.
I understand where you're coming from mate, but...

We're not a big enough club to have two players who are good enough for the first team in every position. It's simple really, we've always had '1st teamers' and very average players as back up (Mullins for example). If Noble is happy to not be a regular in our starting XI, then that's all well and good. But if we strike while the iron's hot then I feel we could replace him with a much better player with the type of money we'd get on him.

I also don't buy into all this he's still young opinion. I mean he's 21 and would be doing a lot better than he is if he was really going to cut it for us in the future.

I used to be a massive fan of his. But to see him just ambling along in our side is so disappointing.
Stratford Hammer
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Stratford Hammer »

It's about form though isn't it, Tel?

We know the boy has ability. He has shown us plenty of times in the past. The goal against Spurs was a goal of a player with good technique.

His lovely flighted, curling delivery for Upsons winner against Manchester United the season before last shows he can put in a good ball.

He can thread a pass through a tight defence for our strikers and full backs - his passing is his strongest attribute if you ask me. Granted, he's no Carrick in this regard.

He loves the club so motivation should not be a problem, but is Z & C think he is a passenger too often then it is down to them to gee him up.

From what I could see via the ***** feed on a small computer screen, he played alright today so i'm not sure why you have chosen now to bring this back up.

The only time we should consider flogging the lad is if he wants out, and I have a feeling that is not going to happen.
Topbre_22

Post by Topbre_22 »

I wouldnt go as far as to say we should flog him but a better replacement should definitely be looked at. Maybe like lamps he might improve playing with better players but at the mo im not that sure what he brings to the table (apart from being a local lad).
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Tel The Hammer wrote:I still stand by my guns here.

How much is the right money in your opinion and who do you suppose will pay that money for him?

fwiw he frustrates the hell out of me at times too but I wouldnt want to see him go... sometimes he looks like he is well on the way to becoming the player we all hope, but often comes up short against experienced midfielders like he faced today
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

Lufbra Iron wrote:It's about form though isn't it, Tel?

We know the boy has ability. He has shown us plenty of times in the past. The goal against Sp*rs was a goal of a player with good technique.
If you look back at my original starting post on this thread I mentioned about this squire...

Noble's been, for me, our weakest first teamer this season. Again as I stated at the beginning of this topic I feel he's stagnated/gone stale. His goal against Spurs was very good, yes, but that was nearly two years ago.

The worrying thing for me is Noble hasn't kicked on in his career and imvho he looks like he's going backwards.

I can only recall him having one good game this season and that was against a very average Hull side.

The fella's the same as me ie a cockney and West Ham through and through, so I really wanna see him suceed in his career. But to be playing like he has been this season with all the first team experience he has behind him isn't good enough.
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

westlondonhammer wrote:How much is the right money in your opinion and who do you suppose will pay that money for him?
I'd say we could get anywhere between £4-8m.

As for potential suitors, I'd say maybe - Sunderland, Bolton, Blackburn, Newcastle. But Fulham would stand out with Bullard going.

Tottenham would maybe even come in for him, but we have Duckers at our club to give Tottenham verbal bollockings upon approaches from N17. 8-)
RM9

Post by RM9 »

I'd listen to offers of £6m+ in the summer.

Local lad or not, like Tel, I don't think he'll grow into the expectations we have of him. :|
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

RM9 wrote:I'd listen to offers of £6m+ in the summer.

Local lad or not, like Tel, I don't think he'll grow into the expectations we have of him. :|
I'd say that is more of a problem with us than him
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Agree not quite good enough
Happyhammer93
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Happyhammer93 »

In my opinion he is a good player, but if we got an offer of 6 million then we should take it, but then we have to look at who is going to replace him? and for how much?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Ive said before that Noble is a "good" player, but since Mullins and Bowyer left Nobes seems to have slipped into some sort of comfort zone. Sub-conciously he may think there is very little if any threat to his place when he looks at the squad and therefore seems to have adopted a casual attitude to playing at the moment. I certainly wouldnt sell him at any price, just an arm round the shoulder or a old fashioned kick up the arse may work! :thup:
m-h

Post by m-h »

i just don't get you all on this thread. Sell another Academy player who is only 21 ?. If you look at his through balls to the front 2 from midfield they on a thread. For further evidence of worth, check his U-21 performances in getting forwards in behind. am 100 % sure Z+C working on him and best yet to come. Also sees the field in front and can spread the ball and put the boot in when needed.
born and bred iron. what do you want......