Transfer Window: Summer 2009

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

FDiMcA
teh
Location: Locked in a cellar, not sure where but I can smell hotdogs

Re: Summer Transfer Rumour Thread '09

Post by FDiMcA »

libero wrote:
People say we need another out and out striker to cover Carlton Cole, but we've got Nouble, Hines, Diamanti, maybe Chamakh and maybe even Ashton.

and the money spent on a player like Chamakh (or even Gudjohnsen) who'd provide attacking alternatives.

But it [CF] needn't be a priority right now. :think:
:thup: Cant wait to see Zola given the full armoury he craves behind Cole, cant wait to see Cole with a rotating troupe of Kung Fu masters hanging off his every hold up of the ball, and rotating like the Harelm Globetrotters under, over, and through any defence.

Cole + Jiminez, Diamanti, Chamakdjohnsen. Dyer if fit can be cover and Stanislas and Savio can attempt to gate crash.
whuRichforever

Post by whuRichforever »

It really interesting reading the Bordeaux forum. A lot on there about Chamakh as you may expect.

A few rumblings of people reserved to the fact that he looks like he will leave and some calling him a gold digger because of it. Apparently according to an itk on there we have offered a 4 year deal at 3mill per year before tax!

Most on there believe he will stay for atleast one more season though saying things like it may be 3mill a year but West Ham are not L'arse and how Chamakh wont go to West Ham while Bordeaux have champions league football.

What i found very interesting though is the amount of respect the people on the forum have for premier league football. One poster said "There are three reasons why Chamakh wont go to West Ham and they are Juve, Bayen and Haifa" refering to the other teams in the Champ league group. However a few posts later someone wrote "But chamakh has the opertunity to play against Man u, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool (and perhaps Man City) and thats why he will leave" Found that quite interesting that they would consider the prospect of playing in the Prem more rewarding then the Champ league!

:crest:
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

fella on who saying had a text from mate inside the club that EG is flying to london tomorrow to tie up a loan deal.hope its true or chamakh signs. :crest:
IIIronss

Post by IIIronss »

Loan deal for someone with a year left on their deal? :think:

May as well sell him for 50p.
BabyClaret
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by BabyClaret »

Loan deal with pre-contract agreement?
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

Mensah signs for Sunderland. Good signing. I think that may be enough to see them sneak into Europe.
Billericay Hammer
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Billericay Hammer »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote:Mensah signs for Sunderland. Good signing. I think that may be enough to see them sneak into Europe.
Was hoping that we would step in and try to hijack the deal if Collins had moved earlier in the week. Good player who should do well at Sunderland.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

BabyClaret wrote:Loan deal with pre-contract agreement?
what will barca get out of that?
The Stallion

Post by The Stallion »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote:Mensah signs for Sunderland. Good signing. I think that may be enough to see them sneak into Europe.
They will improve on last season, but I'm still not convinced.

I dont rate Jones or Campbell that much.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

The Stallion wrote: They will improve on last season, but I'm still not convinced.

I dont rate Jones or Campbell that much.
Bent and Jones is one of the top three or four partnerships in the league for me.
The Stallion

Post by The Stallion »

Bent and Jones should work well together on paper.

Big man and a quick man.

I just dont think Jones ever gets going.

Maybe he will do a Cole and start to shine, who knows?
The Stallion

Post by The Stallion »

Most teams in the premiership like us, Arsenal, Everton seem to play the 4-3-3 formation now.

Its become more popular.

So your right about being one of the top partnerships.

If we had say Ashton and Cole compared to Jones and Bent, I dont think i'd swap.
NeverSayDie

Post by NeverSayDie »

Billericay Hammer wrote:
Was hoping that we would step in and try to hijack the deal if Collins had moved earlier in the week. Good player who should do well at Sunderland.
Duxbury did. Mensah was lined up as a replacement for Upson on a permanent basis if he was sold. At that time though Lyon were only interested in a permanent deal. Once we heard he was available on loan with an option to buy next year Scott tried to hijack Sunderland's deal but to no avail.

I'm told that's why he was really in France and not for Chamakh.
NeverSayDie

Post by NeverSayDie »

Ben wrote:
what will barca get out of that?
Barca would be getting the majority of his wages of the bill for this year which they've already agreed with us but once again it'll come down to whether EG is prepared to leave Barcelona and the last I heard the sticking point was his kids and whether he was prepared to switch them from Barca's academy to ours, that's why his father was over last weekend, to see our set-up. Could go either way IMO.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

I've got a bad feeling about Chamakh. Doesn't seem that keen to come here and I can't get it out of my head that he is just using our interest to try and tempt Wenger into going for him?

Also, how the hell are we going to afford 3m/year, plus a transfer fee, plus a signing on fee when we had to get a sub off our sponsors just to afford Diamante?
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

I am concerned that we will miss out on both because we wait too long, however surely there will be contingency plans.
Bjeka

Post by Bjeka »

Shevchenko put on free transfer according to Goal.com:
http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2 ... lsea-carlo

Would he be a good Tristan replacement ?
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 415 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

I think we had lined up one of Chamakh, Gudjohnsson, or Diamanti as the first choice forward, and Zola & Clarke plumped for Diamanti in the end, so we ended our interest in EG. I don't see Chamakh moving to us as a back-up for CFC.

I'd say we're now looking in the freebie bin for our CFC back-up. This is where all but the CL teams (plus Man City) struggle as it's nigh on impossible to recruit a back-up player with anything like the quality of your first choice, unless you throw silly money at the player (e.g. Crouch at Spuds). We'll be looking in the bin containing the likes of Shevchenko, Kanu (is he still on a short-term deal?) and Tristan.
joyful

Post by joyful »

according to the project, isn't Nouble the back up for Cole?
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

joyful wrote:according to the project, isn't Nouble the back up for Cole?
Yes, along with Hines. And I think that's fine. I also haven't given up on Ashton yet, but Chamakh (if he were to be signed) is a completely different sort of player.

It's a bit like the situation with Rob Green. Everyone at the club knows he's our first choice nº 1, so there's no point us splashing out millions on a back up - that's why we have young keepers in reserve.

Same with Carlton Cole. Zola sees him as undisputed first choice nº 9 in the system he plays. No point splashing out millions on a high quality reserve 9. That's why Zola is chasing players like Diamanti, Chamakh and Gudjohnsen and not another centre forward who might not be able to play with CC and wouldn't be happy in his shadow.

It makes sense to me :think: