Dean Ashton

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Kialos
Has liked: 1557 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Re: Ashton top of Stoke's shopping list

Post by Kialos »

If Ashton's broken ankle had been treated properly in the first place then most of the subsequent periods of injury would not have occurred.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

w6hammer wrote:one thing i am convinced of is ashton will never be as good as he was before the injury.
Weren't that good before the injury anyway. Had potential but it still remains unrealised.

How anyone can claim he is far and away our most talented player is beyond me. Hasn't put in a sustained spell of good form in the three and a half years he's been here. For it to be suggested he is on a par with Upson and Green is an insult to them. To suggest he is far and away more talented, utter nonsense.

He won't be going anywhere though. Giving him a fat payrise last summer saw to that. Had we held our nerve last year and asked that he fully proved his fitness before he got a new deal, we'd have some flexibility now. As it is, he has a long term contract and can call the shots. If he suddenly goes from inconsistent crock to star striker, good for us. If we see more of the same, the error is compounded further.
Crewehammer

Post by Crewehammer »

Didn't Deano start his football career on the books of Stoke when he was yonger, before Crewe signed him?

I don't think we should sell him.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I just hope that Jesus shines on us all and we are blessed with his happiness.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Non story.

Gonna turn into a **** thread with same regurgitated hogwash.

I'm off...
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

KIALOS wrote:If Ashton's broken ankle had been treated properly in the first place then most of the subsequent periods of injury would not have occurred.
curbs out!
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2406 likes
Total likes: 2614 likes

Post by sendô »

Is this thread for real?

One of our best players, and arguably most natural goalscorer, being transfered cut price to a lower mid table team that could likely struggle next season, and realistically wont be getting any further ahead than us for the foreseeable?

How does this deserve a thread of its own?
hammerjohn

Post by hammerjohn »

The broken ankle was only part of the problem, the recurrence of scar tissue, the ligament not healing fully... and so on and on,
I'm a huge Deano fan, he is a natural goal scorer and we all remember how good he was for us.

Fact is he is now just like Michael Owen, a great player who will always be plagued by injuries,
spending more time in the treatment room than on the pitch.

If its not Stoke it will be someone else but Deano will not be a Hammer for much longer.
Marc the Hammer

Post by Marc the Hammer »

So the medical staff have spent all this year getting him back to being fit, i would like him to stay to be honest by far the best player at the club scores goals which is desperatly what we need.
hammerjohn

Post by hammerjohn »

Marc the Hammer wrote:So the medical staff have spent all this year getting him back to being fit, i would like him to stay to be honest by far the best player at the club scores goals which is desperatly what we need.
Totally agree marc, but the decision was made when the Club announced that Deano was fully fit but not being risked by Zola.
All they were saying was .. Ok we have him fit, just valet him, wax & polish and put him in the showroom....
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

James P wrote:How anyone can claim he is far and away our most talented player is beyond me. Hasn't put in a sustained spell of good form in the three and a half years he's been here. For it to be suggested he is on a par with Upson and Green is an insult to them. To suggest he is far and away more talented, utter nonsense.
It's all a game of opinions fella...

Personally, what I saw of Ashton, before his injury, is a higher level of natural born talent than I have seen from anyone currently in our squad

I kind of agree with what you're saying about Green and Upson. That is they deserve all the compliments (and high wages, if that was the point you were making) as they are proven and reliable top players for us. But you can't tell me they are blessed with higher footballing ability than Ashton

It's pointless judging him on the time since his break. When he has played, he's been unfit, or restricted due to his injury. But I base my opinion of him on what I saw before his injury. I'm talking about what I look for in a player with my own eyes. If you were to boot the ball as hard as you can in the general direction of a player, Ashton will get that ball under control better than any other player we have. Not only that, he'd be aware exactly where his team mates are, and what the best option is. That is how I judge a player. Not by statistics, but by watching them play

Whilst i was very impressed with Cole last season, Ashton is a more intelligent player, has more natural skill, and better understanding of the game. Sure in the lone forward role, Cole may be a better option than Ashton, due to his size and strength. But in terms of overall ability, Ashton has the greater control, better range of passing, more awareness, sees the bigger picture, so knows where and when to play the ball

Sure, we don't know if he will have that touch, control, vision when he does come back. But there's only one way to find out, and I'd be loathed to let him go before we know for sure
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

sendô wrote:Is this thread for real?

One of our best players, and arguably most natural goalscorer, being transfered cut price to a lower mid table team that could likely struggle next season, and realistically wont be getting any further ahead than us for the foreseeable?

How does this deserve a thread of its own?
They only reason I lashed it into a thread on it's own is because of the links between Stoke and Teamtalk and also the confidence which appears to be prevelent among Stoke fans that the deal is done.

That and also an interest in gauging the reaction of our fans into hwo they would feel if he left.

I'm sure if the mods didn't feel it was worthy of a thread on it's own (and they might yet not...) they'd lash it in with the usual transfer stuff.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Stu, fantastically put. :thup:
Dieter Eckstein
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Dieter Eckstein »

Hambrosia Stu wrote:
It's all a game of opinions fella...
:thup:
Memorial Ground

Post by Memorial Ground »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very much looking forward to seeing him play for us again.
gegsy
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by gegsy »

ashton's going to stoke?

bwahahaha. nice one. There ain't half some b*llocks spouted at this time of year.
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

hammerjohn wrote:Deano had a big 'For Sale' sign stuck on him just before the end of the Season.
The Club has obviously decided that his injusry is going to continue to ba a problem, and will off load him for what will turn out to be a good fee for us.

As Fionn says we are not a buying Club we are a 'loan signing' Club so no matter how much we get it will not be spent on a replacement but rather it will be seen as trimming our massive wage bill.
If deano goes,we only have 1 recoginised striker(cole)forget dixon.so we would need at least 2 if not 3 new strikers.i have to say i wouldnt be that bothered to lose ashton as i feel he will never be as good again and more than likely to break down yet again.
DODGYDAL

Post by DODGYDAL »

Would be nice to see the club come out and put an end to this speculation quick smart.

Good points well put Stu. To be fair to James P his opinion of Ashton has never changed.
Big_Russ

Post by Big_Russ »

Memorial Ground wrote:" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very much looking forward to seeing him play for us again.

Check out that video at 1min48secs---->2 mins

:think:
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Big_Russ wrote:

Check out that video at 1min48secs---->2 mins

:think:
er, what you on about russ?