Alessandro Diamanti

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Re: Alessandro Diamanti

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I agree Diamanti looks like he'd float around a la Dyer or Jiminez, it'd be nice to have an attacking left footed player in the absence of Boa Morte. Might be an option to give us some width at times too.

Looking at him as an Italian Lee Trundle is a horrible depressingly accurate description :lol:
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Either way...signing him only as a striker, probably isn't the best idea. We'd need to sign someone else aswell. I said we could try and play him in the Cole role in his absense. But as Szola says, it's probably not the best option. So that says, that if Cole gets injured, we are still ****ed, even if we sign Diamanti.

We better hope Ashton somehow recovers.
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

Israeli_Hammer wrote:Serie B striker? I'd rather have a good Championship striker to be honest. Will take him less time to settle, and will acknowledge the privilege of playing for this club...

Sounds like another Di-Michele..

Sears :wink:
VeniceHammer
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 146 likes

Post by VeniceHammer »

the only thing that i can assure you is that he is NOT championship standard. he is way better, no di michele for sure. but i agree it should be him AND another striker to bring in.
il_martello_di_genovesi

VeniceHammer wrote:the only thing that i can assure you is that he is NOT championship standard. he is way better, no di michele for sure. but i agree it should be him AND another striker to bring in.
He is far from Championship standard. That is why Inter were looking at him. But Sneijder and Cassano is who they want now. (I hope that they don't get Cassano from us). However, we would still be missing a goalscorer. Not unless we can sign both him and Tavano :lol:.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

VeniceHammer wrote:the only thing that i can assure you is that he is NOT championship standard. he is way better, no di michele for sure. but i agree it should be him AND another striker to bring in.
He is "no Di Michele"?

You mean he is better, or worse?
VeniceHammer
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 146 likes

Post by VeniceHammer »

obviously better than the di michele we had at upton park. di michele 4 or 5 years ago was a very good player.
il_martello_di_genovesi

Di Michele is old now. What did anyone expect. You are right...a younger Di Michele was class. Even at Palermo not so long ago. I'm sure people who went to Palermo, will remember him and Fabio Simplicio completely wrecking our team.
FDiMcA
teh
Location: Locked in a cellar, not sure where but I can smell hotdogs

Post by FDiMcA »

myrightpeg wrote:Jeez out and out goalscorers cost a lot of money - we haven't got a pot to p*ss in and half of you lot are moaning that we're not going out and buying a "striker". I trust GFZ way more than anyone on here to get it right and if he thinks he can use this guy and get him to score the goals we need then so be it. And as for being an Italian so what? Obviously Nani and co know the Italian game better than ours and I'd rather see this kind of player in West Ham shirt than a clogger from the fizzy pop.
:thup:

This thread is baffeling.

In Colin we have probably the best striker outside the European level squads.
There are no Jermaine Defoes out there, and if there were their price would be gazzilions.
In Ashton and Nouble we have direct cover for Colin. 1 is injured, 1 is a virgin. Money prevents us from having 25 year old fit experienced replacements for Ashton and Nouble, but both of them could develop into regular England Internationals which is more than can be said for most alternatives.

In Zola we have a manager who is playing 1 up front. He needs some Ronaldos, Kuyts, Joe Coles, Arshavins to make it work.
1: Savio and 2: Stanislas are kids, 3: Jiminez is untested in the Prem and on loan, 4: Dyer is always going to be one game away from missing the season. 5: LBM is out.

Wether you see it as 5-4-1, 4-3-3, or 4-5-1 Zolas system needs 2-3 attacking players behind Colin (Ashton/Nouble).

So he needs a squad which includes these players and includes cover for them. Unlike with centre-halves, or left backs, or holding midfielders a manager needs to be able to vary the attacking players during games (form, effectivness per opposition, style, fitness)
Zola needs at least 5 or 6 attacking players to work between Parker and Colin.

In addition he needs a plan B up front. If the lead striker system is struggling he needs a different type of striker to come in and change it to two up front.

So all summer (based on who we have been linked with, and what Zola did last season) we have been looking for a 1: striker and 2: an attacking midfielder, withdrawn striker with pace and or tricks - in additio to Jiminez, and even before LBM was injured.

I am baffeled by the comments that Diamonds is not the sort of player we should be looking at. He and Chamakh are EXCATLY what we should be looking at, and both or 1 + Gudjohnsen is a minimum requirement.

Other than that we need a right back.

Its great that we are looking at Italian based players. Not because we have an Italian manager, but because CCC players have not been schooled in supporting the sort of 1 up front play Colin is becoming a master of.
The English lower league players tend to be tacticly and positionally retarded. Etherington for example.
The Italians learn it before they learn to walk. Not our specific system, but how to unpick tight midfields and defences.

As West Ham fans we are used to seeing kids come through who are comfortable on the ball,.
Tomkins, Rio, Carrick, Johnson, Collison etc - these type of UK players are freaks. A massive generalisation BUT the majority are not educated well enough in football to be able to handle advanced tactics.
Think John Terry and Rio Ferdinand.

We need a team of Rios, the CCC is packed with Terrys.
The Italian and Portugese youngsters are more like the type of player Tony Carr produces than the likes of Gareth Barry, John Terry, Michael "one dimension" Owen, or Gary Neville.

The reason we need a team of Rio's is not because we have an Italian manager, or a tradition of stylish football - it is because as a club outside of the elite, with limnited funds in order to win games we should not we need to use inteligence.
Samassi Abou
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Samassi Abou »

Why don't Zola get Amir Zaki on loan??? Simple!
BLT319

Post by BLT319 »

he's already gone on loan some where i believe
Groundsman

Post by Groundsman »

Few good points FDI. Kovac doesn't really fit in with that though.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Excellent post Fids. :thup:

A goalscorer from midfield (7-8 a season), some reliable cover for Cole and a genuine "option" up front.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

Samassi Abou wrote:Why don't Zola get Amir Zaki on loan??? Simple!
Because he is incredibly average and has a serious attitude problem.
FDiMcA
teh
Location: Locked in a cellar, not sure where but I can smell hotdogs

Post by FDiMcA »

Groundsman wrote:Few good points FDI. Kovac doesn't really fit in with that though.
Kovac is cover for Scott Parker.
Parker sits in front of the defence and gives the ball to a selection of attacking players.
Kovac is his understudy. We needed Kovac, as without him poor form or injury for Parker ( who has missed quite a few games in his time) would mean the collapse of our system.

I agree Kovac is not on of the 6/7 or so attacking players we want/need to compliment Cole (Ashton/Nouble).
Last edited by FDiMcA on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Samassi Abou
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Samassi Abou »

JonG86 wrote:

He'll do for a loan IMO.
NeverSayDie

Post by NeverSayDie »

We're trying to push this deal through today.
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

NEVERSAYDIE wrote:We're trying to push this deal through today.
We'd better do!
:lol:
grantvink

Post by grantvink »

JonG86 wrote:
I wish we had a striker as average as Zaki in our squad at the moment.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

Considering he got fined more than the average person earns in a year during his career at Wigan I would say his disruptive influence would be less welcome than a case of swine flu in our dressing room.

Some people see his first half of the season goal scoring record and go all weak at the knees, but he was less than impressive in the second half of the season.