Our future manager is... Avram Grant

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Jackanakanory
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: Our future manager is... Avram Grant

Post by Jackanakanory »

Chrissieboy wrote:I can't even begin to say how underwhelmed I am about this. I have a lot of Pompey mates and though they liked his bit of passion none of them are sad to see him go and didn't really rate his managerial style, tactics or substitutions. Sounds perfect us.
Cant agree with that...I live in Pompey and they are GUTTED he left...they loved him down here and I mean proper loved him!!

I'd go as far as to say worshipped.

I never understand the pysche of our fans? we are not a top four club we cannot attract massive names. Grant is a solid appointment. People scream for stability then moan when its offerded to them

Four years is a backing by the board as they have already said they back their men..but I am sure they have covered their arses...

Here's an idea lets give the guy a chance as we have with previous managers

Welcome Uncle Avram..lets hope your stay is a good one
Fade & Die

Post by Fade & Die »

Welcome Mr Grant. The local rags should have a vast selection of massage parlours in the area for you to choose from to ease the strain of managing our club.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by smuts »

Good luck Avram....this will be the first PL job where he's had to rebuild a team from top to bottom.

It's going to be an interesting summer...........
m-h

Post by m-h »

Xander wrote:
Got Chelsea to the runners-up spot in the Premier League and runners up in theChampions League final to Manure (lost on penalties); kept a doomed team together who weren't getting paid, uncertain futures to get to the FA Cup Final.

He must be very, very poor at what he does............
What did he do at Chelski ?. what players did he sign ?. As i said, drove mourinho's bus and relegated Portsmouth. take away his Chelski stats and all of sudden he's a proven PL manager with a W/L percentage of........

not my preferred choice, would have liked an English manager to restore the tradition at WHU. If he does ok and that translates to results and WHU doing well then thats ok with me. If he gets of to a bad start, don't think he will get the same patience and support the Zola did. Hope the Davids put a DOF clause in his contract if he doesn't hack it as manager. Four years ???. what manager gets a 4 year contract from the off at 1.3 mil a year. Hope there are clauses, perfomance based. But why sweat the small **** when we are moving to a bowl and likely to be renamed.
shammy

Post by shammy »

What is the point in giving 4 year contracts? The average period for a manager at one club in the Premiership is under 2 years, take away Wenger, Ferguson and Benitez and this average falls sharply. A manager should be on a one year contract with performance linked bonuses. Give you a clue, Avram Grant will not be our manager in 2014, but we will still be paying his salary.
Langley Hammer

Post by Langley Hammer »

Mixed feelings but it is results that count at the end of the day. If he can get the squad motivated and playing like they give a damn then I'll be happy despite the result.

Would his appointment attract supporters from Israel?
m-h

Post by m-h »

Langley Hammer wrote:Would his appointment attract supporters from Israel?
Don't think there will be many at the Boleyn from Turkey or Gaza........
Av it

Post by Av it »

Everyone I know thinks it's a great appointment. Even Chelski mates. He is a West Ham manager, a professor of football. I for one am delighted! :raver: :crest:

And let;s be honest, Avram Grant's claret and blue army has a ring to it! IRONS!
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

shammy wrote:What is the point in giving 4 year contracts? The average period for a manager at one club in the Premiership is under 2 years, take away Wenger, Ferguson and Benitez and this average falls sharply. A manager should be on a one year contract with performance linked bonuses. Give you a clue, Avram Grant will not be our manager in 2014, but we will still be paying his salary.
If you look at Gold & Sullivan's record, though, you'll see that they had 4 managers in 17 years at Brum. That seems to suggest that 4 years is exactly in line...

...and don't forget, this is West Ham, not a "Premiership Average"...
Cookedskunk

Post by Cookedskunk »

Yeah f*ck it, he'll do :crest:
Jameslegend
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Jameslegend »

Welcome Avram Grant!

Very pleased with this appointment.

Now for a period of stability.... please? :crest:
thespider
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 29 likes

Post by thespider »

Jackanakanory wrote: I never understand the pysche of our fans? we are not a top four club we cannot attract massive names.
Quite. I wasn't exactly pinning my hopes on Mourinho taking over.

The only reason Grant doesn't have a Champs League medal is cos John Terry fell over and ****ed up a penalty plus he got a team in administration to an FA Cup final less than a month ago. I'll happily accept Grant as manager!
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

miami-hammer wrote: What did he do at Chelski ?. what players did he sign ?. As i said, drove mourinho's bus and relegated Portsmouth. take away his Chelski stats and all of sudden he's a proven PL manager with a W/L percentage of........
At Pompy he managed to aviod defeat in over half of his games as manager as well as getting them to an FA Cup final. Considering the sale of most players and all the **** going on in the background thats ****ing impressive :thup:
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

He kept players who weren't even getting paid, motivated.

Clearly the best of the lot available.
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

Jameslegend wrote:Now for a period of stability.... please?
We had a very good period of stability under Curbishley. I'm talking about on the field, obviously.

I just hope that some of the dopey, fickle supporters who frequent the Boleyn Ground realise that it isn't going to be like watching Brazil play every week. We had some top, top times and results under Curbishley, yet some still thought it was right to sing "You're getting sacked in the morning" to him when we were losing at home to Macclesfield in the League Cup.

That was done to a man who had lead us to probably our most stable position in yonks.

God only knows what kind of stick Grant will get if we have to grind out a few home victories.

I think he's a very Curbs like appointment, which is fine by me. Some of the people who expect us to play like a John Lyall side every week, which won't be and isn't possible for a club of our stature in this day and age, could turn against Grant very quickly.

All the best, Avram :thup:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Spot on Tel. A few seasons finishing mid table under Curbs would have given us a platform to build on. Out of all the mistakes the club/fans have made over recent years the sacking/harsh treatment of Curbs is the worst and most damaging imo
e17
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 982 likes

Post by e17 »

Great decision IMO & glad it's now 'official'.

Solid choice & possibly as important, Gollivan have employed their OWN manager.. This should hopefully only add to the appointments stability & cut out any of the messy stuff we got last year where it seemed like we had two entirely seperate representaties of WHU. Plus Grant seems to have a decent relationship with the players wherever he's gone & hopefully will help give our lot a bit of that much needed confidence & bite back.

Happy days I reckon!
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

e17 wrote:Happy days I reckon!
Yep.... sod it, I think I'll renew. :lol:
SxHammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 69 likes

Post by SxHammer »

comebackjoecole wrote:Avram Grunt more like, makes Curbs look like Keith Richards. Personality of a plank of wood.

Got a reasonable team relegated even adding back on the points deduction.
So how good a motivator is he?

Dissappointed as I think we'd really suit a Dutch coach playing total football, but have ordered my Claret n Blue Skullcap anyway.
You've obviously never heard anybody speak about Grant, i've never heard someone talk about him without saying he has a great sense of humour. Yeah, he looks like a right miserable git on the pitch but it's better than some grinning monkey, as long as the players like and work for him and the he can handle the relationship with the Chairmen I couldn't give a **** that he isn't Ian Holloway in his Match of the Day interview.

A reasonable team? at 1 point they could only name 3 subs!
How good a motivator? Well, while he and his players weren't getting paid they were showing a lot more effort than our lot. Enough to get them to an FA Cup final.

Hold on, I think you must be fishing and I have bitten. Total football indeed!
e17
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 982 likes

Post by e17 »

Tel The Hammer wrote: We had a very good period of stability under Curbishley. I'm talking about on the field, obviously.

I just hope that some of the dopey, fickle supporters who frequent the Boleyn Ground realise that it isn't going to be like watching Brazil play every week. We had some top, top times and results under Curbishley, yet some still thought it was right to sing "You're getting sacked in the morning" to him when we were losing at home to Macclesfield in the League Cup.

That was done to a man who had lead us to probably our most stable position in yonks.

God only knows what kind of stick Grant will get if we have to grind out a few home victories.

I think he's a very Curbs like appointment, which is fine by me. Some of the people who expect us to play like a John Lyall side every week, which won't be and isn't possible for a club of our stature in this day and age, could turn against Grant very quickly.

All the best, Avram :thup:
I reckon he's fortunate that whatever style is played, after the lacklustre & self capitulating shower of **** we'e had this year, if there's a bit of backbone to it & a few (!) more results our way early doors, he'll be accepted quicker purely down to the fans relief...

Let's face it, if we finish 12th next year & get a decent result somewhere along the way against a Spurs, Man Yoo or Chelski, we'll all be laughing.

I agree about that charity not being shown to Curbs though, in retrospect who wouldn't have swapped whatever lethargic templated style his team might have played if it meant avoiding weekend after weekend of misery this year? But it's all done & dusted now, innit.