Our future manager is... Avram Grant

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Re: Steve Coppell

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Wonder if they will try the director of football route?
Wade

Post by Wade »

chalks wrote:Has been sounded out.

I cant tell you how I know, sorry.

And for what its worth, I think he would be a fantastic choice.
Now this is a manager who deseves a chance with a better squad.

I agree spot on!!
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

If I had bought a 50% share in West Ham in their present predicament I would be looking for a manager who would 100% protect my investment .
I wouldn't care about the football and I wouldn't care if he didn't buy players from abroad , just as long as they were guaranteed to stay in the Premier League .
We had that man in Alan Curbishley .
I would bring him in short term , and then replace him with Martin Jol .
With Coppell , we'd be moaning that he doesn't know the European leagues etc , same as we did with Curbishley .
The Overlook
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by The Overlook »

We could do a lot worse than Coppell. He did very well with Reading until it all fell apart.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:If I had bought a 50% share in West Ham in their present predicament I would be looking for a manager who would 100% protect my investment .
I wouldn't care about the football and I wouldn't care if he didn't buy players from abroad , just as long as they were guaranteed to stay in the Premier League .
With Coppell , we'd be moaning that he doesn't know the European leagues etc , same as we did with Curbishley .
Spot on.
Curbs was always a safe pair of hands, even if it wasn't as exciting as some demand

And if (and I'm not really in favour, nor would it seem are the owners) we were to replace Zola at this point, Curbs would be the only option, imo. He knows a lot of the players and knows the set up at the club. Anyone else would have to start from scratch, and we don't have the time for that at this stage in the season
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Ted Fenton »

While he wouldn't be my first choice, I'd be ok with Coppell - on a rolling contract?
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

I'd have no problem with Coppell taking over.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

The Overlook Hotel wrote: until it all fell apart.
Isnt that the problem though.

Curbs mark II but not as good. :shock:
giblet

Post by giblet »

Would be a good choice.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Did a good job at a smaller and shittier and cuntier club with Reading so....
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

Wade wrote: Now this is a manager who deseves a chance with a better squad.

I agree spot on!!
A better squad? Then why would he come here? Our squad is about to be diminished even further as the car crash that is West Ham continues on its merry journey. Remember we have not reached the bottom yet, this will probably come in the summer when we release most of our decent players. Once we get there and only then we can start rebuilding again.
This is why I cant see most of the managers mentioned such as Hughes,Hoddle,Bilic,Curbs etc touching us with a barge pole, they would see the West Ham job as a poisoned chalice and all I think would want significant amounts of money to spend on the squad, something that they wont get here. Curbs and Hughes would have the pick of a few jobs I would imagine, so why come here?
You need someone that is used to working with little or no money and this is where Coppell makes more sense (as does Pardew), both used to championship football on a small budget.
What manager would actually want the job? Thats the question that needs answering.
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

Experienced, quite successful - though a fewe ups and downs - knows how to get promoted and consolidate. Done that with smaller clubs than us, so should do OK with us.

Main problem - not good with stress. Mind you that probably won't emerge for a few years - a kind of build up
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

carnage wrote:
Isnt that the problem though.

Curbs mark II but not as good. :shock:
Oh, I think he'd taken Reading absolutely as far as they could have gone.

He won LMA's Manager of the year twice while he was with them, too.
MK HAMMER
Location: Believe in me, cos I dont believe in anything and I wanna be someone to believe, to believe in.
Total likes: 1 like

Post by MK HAMMER »

The Overlook Hotel wrote:We could do a lot worse than Coppell. He did very well with Reading until it all fell apart.
Great, sounds like Pardew to me then?!

............without the Ferrari......................
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:If I had bought a 50% share in West Ham in their present predicament I would be looking for a manager who would 100% protect my investment .
No chance of Curbs coming back. Move on.
I think its likely that any replacement for Zola either pre or post Stoke will be an end of season jobby - as others have said the real appointment will almost certainly depend on what division we're in.
Have to say that Zola is a stubborn wop - or not as rich as claimed - if he can put up with the belittling and relentless pressure coming from the bosses! I even hear that Sullivan is preparing to deliver the team talk on Sat and had to be restrained from storming in at half-time on Tues.
He was still steaming and on the warpath on Weds morning.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

The Overlook Hotel wrote:We could do a lot worse than Coppell. He did very well with Reading until it all fell apart.
Not a premier league manager - championship at best..Reading kept going for a season on the impetus of their promotion but coppell doesnt have the ability to keep a premier league team up.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

You are under the impression that both Alan Curbishley and Martin Jol would (a) want the job and (b), we could afford them .
I think a heavy dose of realism is required here, have you any idea about the **** we are in both on and off the pitch?
You talk of managers needing to know about European leagues when knowing the Vauxhall Conference is probabaly more appropriate for at least the next three years.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

I cant see any reason why curbishley wouldnt come back.
The twats who got rid of him in the first place have left and he has been paid off and apologised to by the new owners.
With regard to money - you take your choice - a few million for a manager who can keep you in the premier league or lose £40mil.
And there is nothing saying he couldnt be brought in as a director of football.
Any claims of undermining zolas position could easily be sorted by the fact he isnt doing his job properly.
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

kitthehammer wrote:I cant see any reason why curbishley wouldnt come back.
I was unhappy about his departure, but it would be a huge mistake for him and the club for him to come back. Too many ill informed fans would immediately get on his back and returning to a club where you were previously manager doesn't IMO usually work. Look at Kendall at Everton and Sturrock at Plymouth for examples. Both won loads at their level (two promotions for Sturrock, and pretty well everything for Kendal) but their returns ended in tears.

Besides Curbishley, I'm sure, wouldn't come back
libero
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

This absurd idea that Coppell wouldn't make it as a PL manager is just part of the nonsense fuelled by the small-minded brainless journos who cover football in the Uk and is so easily and gullibly swallowed by so many football fans.

We are supposed to believe that the likes of Hoddle, Fat Sam, Mark Hughes, Mick McCarthy and countless previously foreigners are PL standard managers and the likes of Coppell and Pardew and countless others are not. Simple as that. But what is this sweeping and poorly thought out viewpoint based on?

Laughably it's the kind of belief that stands up to no detailed analysis by anyone with any knowledge of football. Why isn't Coppell a PL manager? Because he's shorter than Ian Dowie? He doesn't shout as much as Ferguson? He hasn't got the PR skills that fat Sam and McCarthy have? Because he's associated with Reading and Crystal Palace? Because he went to University and never talks crap? Because he hasn't got a foreign accent? because he's self effacing and quietly spoken?

When Zola came into the reckoning for the West Ham job some people were in favour, some against, but I read very few (if any) comments saying that he wasn't a PL - comments like: Not a premier league manager - championship at best. And yet, what was his pedigree as a manager?

I'd love to see Coppell come to West Ham, but I think it's not going to happen because there's too much prejudice among journos and and fans against quietly spoken intelligent English managers who have learned their trade in the lower divisions. And the fact that so many of you out there would rather have Di Canio or Bilic or some foreigner that no one's ever heard of yet ahead of Coppell is proof of what I'm talking about :think: