The Olympic Stadium [2010 Poll]

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you support the proposed move to an Olympic Stadium with a running track, post-2012 games?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:48 am

Yes
18%
No
73%
Undecided
9%

Total votes: 410

Hammer110

Re: The Olympic Stadium

Post by Hammer110 »

More than 10!
Arsenal, Barnet, Brentford, Charlton, Chelski, Crystal Palace, Dagenham & redbridge, Fulham, Leyton Orient, Scum, QPR, Spurs, West Ham

I think thats 13 and there are possibly one or two more.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

GeorgeParris'Pet wrote: Both WHU and THFC have been established 100 years or more. WHU have survived with WHL only 8 miles away - yet if they move 5 miles closer suddenly WHU will disappear?

I don't think so.
Isn't the Olympic Stadium under 2 miles from the Boleyn?

Also, I'm sure WHL is 7 miles from us (therefore 5 miles from the OS).
GeorgeParris'Pet

Post by GeorgeParris'Pet »

Hammers80 wrote: Isn't the Olympic Stadium under 2 miles from the Boleyn?
No, the station is 2 miles from the Boleyn and the OS is the other side of the station.

Anyway, what difference is a few hundred yards either way?
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

GeorgeParris'Pet wrote: No, the station is 2 miles from the Boleyn and the OS is the other side of the station.

Anyway, what difference is a few hundred yards either way?
When it comes to that lot, or any other team to be fair, I don't want any of them any closer than they would be already.

Whatever the exact distance 2 miles (give or take a running track or two) is far too close for the Spuds to be to us.
GeorgeParris'Pet

Post by GeorgeParris'Pet »

Hammers80 wrote:Whatever the exact distance 2 miles (give or take a running track or two) is far too close for the Spuds to be to us.
Agreed.
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

For perspective go and have a look on Google Maps, the new stadium is only a couple of blocks down the road and is enormous.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Is there any possibility of setting up a new poll before the decision is made next week?

The old one is over 6 months old now and a LOT has changed since it was taken. I'm genuinely interested to know what the feeling on the site is now that we're almost at the business end

Anyone?
Persil Tickets
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Persil Tickets »

Agree with Aceface. Just a hunch but I think it would be much closer between the for and against.
chris the hammer

Post by chris the hammer »

GeorgeParris'Pet wrote: Both WHU and THFC have been established 100 years or more. WHU have survived with WHL only 8 miles away - yet if they move 5 miles closer suddenly WHU will disappear?

I don't think so.
The reason spurs have not had much impact on West Ham over the last 100 years is there trophy haul is not much better than ours.
Also their stadium holds around the same amount of fans as ours.
And i would argue we have a better history than them.
If they move to the O.S. they will have one of the best stadiums in the country, with fantastic rail and transport links, the stadium itself will hold at least 60,000 fans, and they have already said they will target 5 - 11 year olds from neighbouring boroughs as well as the West Ham stronghold of Essex.
I was totally against us moving to the O.S. but we must put our selfish reasons aside and do what is best for West Ham F.C.
And STOP the north London ****ers from entering our manor, also to stick by our fellow Hammers from Stratford...!!!
Ironworx

Post by Ironworx »

We want the ****ers further away not bloody closer, and certainly not closer in a 60'000 seater.....

The implications of that don't bear thinking about
Wdp

Post by Wdp »

After what has happened the last few days and the coverage we have received I very much doubt we will get the nod for this stadium now, we look incompetent whereas as much as it pains me to say it Spurs look like a well run club and a safer investment all round for the OS site. :x
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

Ironworx wrote:We want the ****ers further away not bloody closer, and certainly not closer in a 60'000 seater.....

The implications of that don't bear thinking about
So, we are moving just to stop them huh?
brilliant, is there anything at all positive as regards the O/S?
I just dont fancy sitting with 15,000 fans sixty meters friom the pitch, still everyone to their own I suppose.
Napoleon Solo

Post by Napoleon Solo »

The main thing wrong with West Ham is the total lack of integrity of the Board.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

mushy wrote: So, we are moving just to stop them huh?
I just dont fancy sitting with 15,000 fans sixty meters friom the pitch, still everyone to their own I suppose.
Better than sitting in a 35'000 seater stadium with 10'000 fans...
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

Wdp wrote:After what has happened the last few days and the coverage we have received I very much doubt we will get the nod for this stadium now, we look incompetent whereas as much as it pains me to say it Sp*rs look like a well run club and a safer investment all round for the OS site. :x
Oh yes Spurs are so competent, they have proposed a legacy that the stakeholders weren't consulted about, don't want, on a site that it appears another football club want to build a new stadium on and the current owners want shot of, not redeveloped and left with.
Persil Tickets
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Persil Tickets »

The reason Sp*rs have not had much impact on West Ham over the last 100 years is there trophy haul is not much better than ours.
Also their stadium holds around the same amount of fans as ours.
And i would argue we have a better history than them.
If they move to the O.S. they will have one of the best stadiums in the country, with fantastic rail and transport links, the stadium itself will hold at least 60,000 fans, and they have already said they will target 5 - 11 year olds from neighbouring boroughs as well as the West Ham stronghold of Essex.
I was totally against us moving to the O.S. but we must put our selfish reasons aside and do what is best for West Ham F.C.
And STOP the north London w***ers from entering our manor, also to stick by our fellow Hammers from Stratford...!!!
Chris

Let me state up front that I loathe them and do not want them at the OS but what you state is factually wrong. They have won far more trophies than us. Their stadium may only be slightly bigger than ours now but for decades it was far larger and they would regularly attract crowds of over 50,000. Even now they have a waiting list of 35,000 for season tickets.
I have mentioned this in my previous posts but for me I cannot win. I do not want to go to the OS in its present state as in my opinion it is unfit for football. The only problem for me is that if we don't get it "the north London w***ers will"
chris the hammer

mushy wrote:
So, we are moving just to stop them huh?
What makes you thunk there will only be 15,000 fans in the O.S.
Gold & Sullivan have stated that if we get the O.S. we will have the cheapest seats in the premiership, bearing in mind that wigan & Blackburn have tickets for £250.00 that means our season tickets will come down by at least half therefore bringing all those West Ham fans that could no longer afford it as well as bringing in thousands of new young kids through the turnstiles, i bet we will sell out most weeks if they keep their promises of cutting prices. for once stop thinking about whats good for you and think of whats good for West Ham F.C. and all those West Ham supporters that can no longer afford to go. { I THOUGHT FOOTBALL WAS A WORKING MANS GAME LETS GIVE IT BACK TO THE PEOPLE.} by the way i can afford to go so I'm not thinking about myself...!!!
mushy

Post by mushy »

JonG86 wrote: Better than sitting in a 35'000 seater stadium with 10'000 fans...
How exactly is that better? have you ever sat that far away from the pitch?
And what on earth makes you think more people would be attracted to the O/S then UP?
I know only a handful of people that go regularly that are in favour.
mushy

Post by mushy »

chris the hammer wrote: What makes you thunk there will only be 15,000 fans in the O.S.
Gold & Sullivan have stated that if we get the O.S. we will have the cheapest seats in the premiership, bearing in mind that wigan & Blackburn have tickets for £250.00 that means our season tickets will come down by at least half therefore bringing all those West Ham fans that could no longer afford it as well as bringing in thousands of new young kids through the turnstiles, i bet we will sell out most weeks if they keep their promises of cutting prices. for once stop thinking about whats good for you and think of whats good for West Ham F.C. and all those West Ham supporters that can no longer afford to go. { I THOUGHT FOOTBALL WAS A WORKING MANS GAME LETS GIVE IT BACK TO THE PEOPLE.} by the way i can afford to go so I'm not thinking about myself...!!!
Am not quite sure what you are on about here but can you tell me how many of Gold and Sullivans promises have come true so far?
By the way with the figures you are quoting we would be getting about the same revenue as now, add to that the enormous rent we would be paying and we could be finished within 18 months of going there.
You are gambling my friend with the very existence of this club.
chris the hammer

Headbanger