Transfer Window: January-Summer 2011

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

MikeNewell'sOldBoys
Has liked: 2 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Thread 2011-2012

Post by MikeNewell'sOldBoys »

Hammer Matty wrote: Yep, they think they know better than someone who watches him regularly, whenever you mention what a good keeper he is, and to be fair, he's a very good keeper, they just turn around and say he's sh*t 'cos of the world cup
I like Green but that's not the only reason people say he's ****. He made more mistakes than any other keeper in the league last season. He's been far too inconsistent over the past two seasons. He seems to be doing with a more settled defence now though and hopefully he can keep his form up.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

MikeNewell'sOldBoys wrote:He made more mistakes than any other keeper in the league last season. He's been far too inconsistent over the past two seasons. He seems to be doing with a more settled defence now though and hopefully he can keep his form up.
We were also bottom of that league... and many of them goals were where Green was helpless. Even the best goalkeeper can't keep a team up on his own. The defence let him down on so many occasions. I'm not saying he's perfect - he does make mistakes like all goalkeepers, but I really rate him. If people don't want him then it's great for us. With a settled defence he looks assured and I think he's in for a great season.
TheFuMaster

Post by TheFuMaster »

I like Green but that's not the only reason people say he's sh*t. He made more mistakes than any other keeper in the league last season. He's been far too inconsistent over the past two seasons. He seems to be doing with a more settled defence now though and hopefully he can keep his form up.[/quote]

Almunia would beg to differe
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

Apologies if it has already been posted but..

Caughtoffside (?!) is reporting that QPR and West Ham are going to offer Sol Campbell a contract - as back up

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2011/09/03 ... -campbell/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ESPN are also reporting that West Ham never tried to offload Green...

West Ham are adamant that this was not authorised by the club. A Hammers insider informed ESPNsoccernet: "It is simply not true to say we had any intention of trying to sell Robert Green, let alone on the cheap as it is being suggested.

"We want to keep Green We did not offer him out on loan or offer to sell him on the cheap.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... en?cc=5739" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

An 'unnamed' agent.......

If this cloak and dagger stuff ever happened (possible but unlikely), considering he was supposed to have been offered to several clubs you'd think the identity of this mystery character would have come out by now, yet not a peep as to who he (or she :wink: ) is.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:An 'unnamed' agent.......

If this cloak and dagger stuff ever happened (possible but unlikely), considering he was supposed to have been offered to several clubs you'd think the identity of this mystery character would have come out by now, yet not a peep as to who he (or she :wink: ) is.
Silkman taking one for the team
Hugh Jargon (Old)
Location: The Isle of Lesbos, Cuba- Tottenham redondo corriente con el pene que cuelga fuera

Post by Hugh Jargon (Old) »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:An 'unnamed' agent.......

Robert Green will know. I might ask him Saturday.
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

He made more mistakes than any other keeper in the league last season.
No he didn't :lol:

Foster, Carson, Almunia, Fabianski, Gomes, Al Habsi, the Blackpool ones just off the top of my head, probably more than that aswell
Turn-It-In

Post by Turn-It-In »

MikeNewell'sOldBoys

I like Green but that's not the only reason people say he's sh*t. He made more mistakes than any other keeper in the league last season. He's been far too inconsistent over the past two seasons. He seems to be doing with a more settled defence now though and hopefully he can keep his form up.

You what? Do you actually watch the games? People amaze me how little they know. :lol:
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

The 09/10 season -

"According to Opta statistics, too, Green made more errors leading to goals than any other player in the Premier League last season."

Lifted from a BBC Sport article - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 737289.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, his kicking and not dominating his box are his worst attributes, not his fumbles. He would be decent for a mid to lower table prem team, but probably not worth the 30k (?) a week to clubs of that level. Would make a good free for someone next summer.
MikeNewell'sOldBoys

He made more mistakes than any other keeper in the league last season.
TheAlmightyAmmer wrote: No he didn't :lol:
Foster, Carson, Almunia, Fabianski, Gomes, Al Habsi, the Blackpool ones just off the top of my head, probably more than that aswell
He did. It was a stat from Opta. More than all of those goalkeepers.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

The keepers mentioned make more spectacular ones though. :lol:
MikeNewell'sOldBoys

Hayden wrote: We were also bottom of that league... and many of them goals were where Green was helpless. Even the best goalkeeper can't keep a team up on his own. The defence let him down on so many occasions. I'm not saying he's perfect - he does make mistakes like all goalkeepers, but I really rate him. If people don't want him then it's great for us. With a settled defence he looks assured and I think he's in for a great season.
If he made a mistake then he wasn't helpless.. I rate Green quite highly but looking back at his form last season (and maybe a bit of the season before) he hasn't been as good as he was before his mistake for England. As I said, he looks to be regaining his form now with a settled defence and less media attention with us being in the npower.
MikeNewell'sOldBoys

D C wrote:The keepers mentioned make more spectacular ones though.
:lol: Granted. Would rather have a keeper who makes less mistakes though, regardless of how spectacular or not they are.
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

Someone posted this video a few months back

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Top keeper
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

MikeNewell'sOldBoys wrote: Granted. Would rather have a keeper who makes less mistakes though, regardless of how spectacular or not they are.
Rubbish, you can't have a stat judging the amount of mistakes a keeper makes :lol: they were most likely tiny ones that weren't costly

Also, he regained his form last season he kept us in almost every game, he was nowhere near bad last season
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

Is there a count of saves made, both normal and world class because with our defence he's bound to make more mistakes, it's called "The Law of Averages".
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

Hammer Matty wrote:Someone posted this video a few months back

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Top keeper
top shot-stopper. sadly still can't kick or dominate his area. But what's remarkable in that video is (apart from Parker) how little pressure is put on the strikers and how Green appears to be the only person who actually wants to stop them scoring.
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

kthammer wrote: top shot-stopper. sadly still can't kick or dominate his area. But what's remarkable in that video is (apart from Parker) how little pressure is put on the strikers and how Green appears to be the only person who actually wants to stop them scoring.
Nope, but we won't get anyone better

He's a top penalty saver as well, I'd forgot about that one he saved in the cup against Stoke when Etherington dived.. that was an top class save. Our defence was criminal last year, lucky we had Green behind them or else things would of got ugly a lot more often imo
MikeNewell'sOldBoys

Turn-It-In wrote: You what? Do you actually watch the games? People amaze me how little they know. :lol:
What part don't you agree with? That he made the most mistakes leading to goals? DC linked an article from the BBC backing that claim up.

If he made lots of mistakes that indicates he was incosistent, no?

People amaze me how little they know...