Transfer Window: January 2012

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Re: Jan transfer window 2012

Post by wizzo_66 »

Yea Why Not wrote: You mean your disapointed to know that some twat on twitter thinks that Andy Johnson is BFS's main target
He's usually spot on. Deserves the benefit of the doubt based on his previous predictions. Some sources you learn to ignore when they constantly spout ***** all the time, but I don't think he has missed a trick since I have followed him.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

Yea Why Not wrote:
You mean your disapointed to know that some twat on twitter thinks that Andy Johnson is BFS's main target
No, no, based on everything this guy has said in the past, he really does know.
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

the pink palermo wrote:Would this be a good time to point out we already have a £35m wage bill ?

Who do people want to sell to fund all these players ? And how much do you think we would get ?
The obvious choices are Piq and Ilunga. Both still on Prem wages and have long gone past their sell-by date at the club. We'd be lucky to get £1m each, but it'd be a weight off our wage bill. Could be around 70k a week if reported wages of 28k (Ilunga) and 40k (Piq) are to be believed.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Lincolnhammer92 wrote:
The obvious choices are Piq and Ilunga. Both still on Prem wages and have long gone past their sell-by date at the club. We'd be lucky to get £1m each, but it'd be a weight off our wage bill. Could be around 70k a week if reported wages of 28k (Ilunga) and 40k (Piq) are to be believed.
Which clubs do you reckon would match their wages? Or do you believe either would take a wage cut for first team football?
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

I'm being a right bitch on this thread 8-)
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

Yea Why Not wrote: Which clubs do you reckon would match their wages? Or do you believe either would take a wage cut for first team football?
Maybe that Russian team can see a partner for Eto'o and a replacement for Roberto Carlos 8-) In reality, I can't see either of them leaving, or taking a pay-cut, but they've got to be the obvious choices to cut the wage bill a bit.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

What we seem to be currently lacking (and demanding) is a bit of real quality in the midfield area...This isn't something I think we'll be able to afford or attract in Jan. I expect it'll be more re-enforcements to carry on as we are and ensure promotion.

Piq could appeal to a prem club in a relegation battle, Illunga might appeal to...erm...yeah ok wishful thinking. There's also Barrera...ever present in a struggling Zaragoza side...he could return and be the spark of creativity we require in the wide positions.
JLP123

Post by JLP123 »

JLP123 wrote:I'm suprised nobody has mentioned Bradley Wright-Phillips... He's scoring in goals for fun this season for Charlton. He's scored 14 league goals already. Surely he could replace Piq... It's him or Zaha for me.
hammersam wrote:Last thing we need is a disruptance like BWP....werent he the one caught stealing from coats in a nightclub?
I don't think he's been much of a disruptance at Charlton has he? In fact, he's their best player. You must remember that he is 26 years old now and is probably a lot more mature than he once was. I'm not sure when he was caught stealing coats but I bet he was a few years younger when it happened.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Last edited by the pink palermo on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hamagram
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hamagram »

I know for a fact lewis dunk would jump at the chance to join the hammers. L'arse and Fulham have had talks with Brighton.
He doesnt want to go there. Hes a Chelsea fan like his father. signed improved terms in the summer. But will be available in January.
Somebody please tell the club to have a chat.
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

the pink palermo wrote:
So, despite being the obvious choices , neither is an option

So we can't sell Piq or Ilunga , who else are we going to sell to cut the wage bill and to raise the funds to buy someone new ?

Tomkins ?
Noble ?
Green ?
Cole ?
Sometimes, we may just be better off sticking with what we have .

Im not sure on Nobles wages, but I thought Tomkins is only on a few grand a week, Green is around the 19k mark hence his requests over the years for parity & Cole I read a while ago had a relegation clause in his contract that means he earns less if we we relegated form the Prem, so I do not think that even if we wanted these players to leave (WHICH I CERTAINLY DON"T) they would free up much cash to splash in Jan?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Last edited by the pink palermo on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

Pinky,

Why are you so certain that G&S will not pump any more money into the club in Jan? Surely a £5m investment that will significantly boost our chances of promotion would be beneficial in the long run..

I just think you never know with these guys....

After all, i'm sure everyone would agree they've done a pretty good job in the transfer market since arriving
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

I feel we have a good enough squad (apart from injuries reducing cover in areas) at the moment for where we are in the Championship.

Come January we will certainly not be promoted yet and I feel that the Dave's will prefer to wait until the summer when we know where we will be next season, then rape some of the relegated teams and try to pick up some freebies.

Linda @ left back could be made permenent but again we have him on a years loan so why action that deal until necessary?

The only obvious area we need cover is at CB and left wing.

I do not think we will ever see Barrera again so we could try to move him on ( if we are allowed to, as we have loaned him out for the year) and use funds generated there to make any aquisition to get in another CB.

Im still tempted to use our development squad players and bring through one or two to cover other areas as needed.

We should really concentrate on keeping those players we have such as Green & Tomkins, improve & lengthen their contracts with clauses that increase their wages when (if) we get promoted back to the Prem.
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

Pinky didn't you say the other day on the coventry match thread that you expected the club to strengthen again in january?? make your mind up man :D
Sloop John B
The voice of reason

Post by Sloop John B »

durham city hammer wrote:Pinky didn't you say the other day on the coventry match thread that you expected the club to strengthen again in january?? make your mind up man
Yeah well he spent all last season saying it was all about the players and tactics don't make a difference and this season it's all about Allardyces negative tactics. The guys a goddamn wrecking ball of opinion. :lol:
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

I still find the Barrera situation baffling - transfer funds are tight, we don't seem to want him here, he CERTAINLY doesn't want to be here, and he's one of the few players we have that would generate a decent fee...and we loaned him out. A tidy £3 million or so for a player who doesn't actually play for us would be quite handy right about now
Sloop John B
The voice of reason

Post by Sloop John B »

Aceface wrote:A tidy £3 million or so for a player who doesn't actually play for us would be quite handy right about now
That'd be a £1million loss on a very young player with bags of potential in just under a year...not great business.

Hopefully, he'll come back after a successful season, find the club to be totally transformed and be the proverbial "new signing" that or we'll sell him on and get at the vey least our money back!
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

Aceface wrote:I still find the Barrera situation baffling - transfer funds are tight, we don't seem to want him here, he CERTAINLY doesn't want to be here, and he's one of the few players we have that would generate a decent fee...and we loaned him out. A tidy £3 million or so for a player who doesn't actually play for us would be quite handy right about now
I've got a really **** set of golf clubs at home. Do you fancy giving me £500 for them?
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Aceface wrote:I still find the Barrera situation baffling - transfer funds are tight, we don't seem to want him here, he CERTAINLY doesn't want to be here, and he's one of the few players we have that would generate a decent fee...and we loaned him out. A tidy £3 million or so for a player who doesn't actually play for us would be quite handy right about now
Sadly I agree with this one. It looks like we missed a trick selling him after the CONCAF tournament where he looked very impressive and probably held his value at about £4-5 million. He wouldn't be anywhere near that now, he gets taken off at half time nearly every game for Zaragoza.