Transfer Window: January 2012

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Re: The January 2012 transfer window

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

how come we never got Sordell ?

I know the figures of 4.5 mill that we had to spend were banded about but that was in total ? Or we couldn't go over 4 was what I thought.

Think that's gonna come back and bite us in the arse..........Of course maybe he fancied a relegation battle rather than a Fizzy Pop championship charge........
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:how come we never got Sordell ?
Because we never met their asking price?
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

We will pick him up when we are passing them in the summer. :lol:
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

ageing hammer wrote:We will pick him up when we are passing them in the summer.
Or he's been locked in a room at UP with Ze Eduardo :lol:
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

ageing hammer wrote:We will pick him up when we are passing them in the summer. :lol:
Interesting I would like to think we would go back in for Snodgrass and Rhodes perhaps, maybe we've done enough to turn their heads a little bit and break their clubs resolve to hang onto them.

If we don't... it might suggest that we just pick our transfer targets at a whim for each window and there's no long term plan which we all know is just silly.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

When we go up in May and despite last Tuesday evening's debacle, I think we will still go up, we must get in some Premier League experience and quality in the Summer window. I make Phil Parkes right ~ we only have 3 Premier League standard players and I don't think our 3 latest signings have changed that
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Puff Daddy wrote:When we go up in May and despite last Tuesday evening's debacle, I think we will still go up, we must get in some Premier League experience and quality in the Summer window. I make Phil Parkes right ~ we only have 3 Premier League standard players and I don't think our 3 latest signings have changed that
You can counter that arguement by saying how many Premier League players did we have last time we we're promoted...How many do Swansea have, Norwich??

I actually think there's some decent balance at the moment in the squad age-wsie between some solid old pros (Faye, Diop, O'Neill, Nolan, Carew) Some players mid-career (Noble, Faubert, Cole, JOB, Tomkins) some young talent stepping up a bit (Maynard, Baldock, Reid, Collison) and then some Academy players.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

Puff Daddy wrote:When we go up in May and despite last Tuesday evening's debacle, I think we will still go up, we must get in some Premier League experience and quality in the Summer window. I make Phil Parkes right ~ we only have 3 Premier League standard players and I don't think our 3 latest signings have changed that

Right. Next summer they should be looking at better players than what we have been. Krancjar, NZonzi etc.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Lampard and Rio ? Can see them both happening tbh and would add a lot of stability and much needed experience to the team for which our younger players could learn so much off them. If we only signed those two, I think we would fine
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

With Cole, Maynard and Baldock on the books I can't see us going in for Rhodes again. I expect our summer funds to go on strengthening defence and maybe a higher quality wide forward than we currently have. (this assumes that Maynard and Baldock establish themselves sufficiently over the remainder of the season, and we don't get a silly offer for Carlton in the summer).

As an aside, Dirk Kuyt is on a bosman in the summer. Exactly the kind of player Allaryce likes. I expect he'll have a better option than us in the summer, but I think he'd be perfect for our 4-3-3.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Up the Junction wrote: Because we never met their asking price?
I thought we went in 3.5-4 for Sordell. Can understand wanting a PL team to be honest, but we might be in a decent position to have landed him I would have thought.

I did I imagine Trap chucking those figures about ??

:?
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

LeonRivers wrote:With Cole, Maynard and Baldock on the books I can't see us going in for Rhodes again. I expect our summer funds to go on strengthening defence and maybe a higher quality wide forward than we currently have. (this assumes that Maynard and Baldock establish themselves sufficiently over the remainder of the season, and we don't get a silly offer for Carlton in the summer).
I have a feeling Cole may have to do pretty well for Sam in the next 4 months to avoid being flogged in the summer
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Aceface wrote:
I have a feeling Cole may have to do pretty well for Sam in the next 4 months to avoid being flogged in the summer
Me too, i'm convinced he'll be gone ( to Sunderland ) & we get in another big striker in the Jelavic mould.
Trap1
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Trap1 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:The one that Trap was telling us about..The ones that we were going to smash our club record with.....the numbers that bristol got all Peter Tong....

:wink:
A bit unfair that Cuenca (not unusual for you), I have never claimed that during this window and you have clearly chosen to conveniently ignore my comments made on Tuesday night.

Fact is there was no budget, the club have offset savings made elsewhere to operate during this trabsfer window. Nothing wrong with that but too many transfer targets seem to attract a lone bid which appeared to be just below the actual/eventual asking price, Marvin Sordell being an excellent example. I'm of the opinion that we and Nicky Maynard's representatives knew that he would join West Ham on 31st January 2012. The player we bid for in August 2011 has arrived at a lower transfer figure but on a higher wage deal.

We have signed three good players and I congratulate the owners on this. If we gain promotion they will deserve credit however, should promotion not come then their PR moves will act as a noose around their necks. Once again in my opinion, it's a dangerous and unecessary game to play.

Consider this a rare criticism of G&S.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Trap1 wrote:
The £4 million pound myth is going to be exposed for sure!!

Totaaly bonkers when you consider we have made two offers over that figure plus two official offers that had they been accepted would have busted the £10 million.

There is no budget, G&S will buy something they believe to be good value - after all, it's their own money.

BTW we have just put in a third bid for Jordan Rhodes as per the Daily Mirror.

Trap.........................................

See the above.....Harsh by me ? Hardly..........
Trap1

Post by Trap1 »

Cuenca,

But you have neglected the comments I have made since then. At the time I had no reason to doubt things that were in the public domain (see J Sullivan aka Dave on twitter). This £4 million budget is a myth and anyone with a knowledge of G&S will tell you they don't do budgets but rather tend to look at the deal on offer.

There was no need to use my name to boost your point of view, you should be quoting the owners themselves.

Let's be totally clear, following a chat the other night they have been playing a lot of PR about their intentions.Nicky Maynard was lined up before deadline day.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Puff Daddy wrote:Lampard and Rio ? Can see them both happening tbh and would add a lot of stability and much needed experience to the team for which our younger players could learn so much off them. If we only signed those two, I think we would fine
Lampard, Nolan and noble in the midfield? Would only work if the opposition agreed to play in slow motion.
Rio won't play too many games on the trott.

I'm in agreement with pinky - defenders, defenders, defenders in the summer
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:I thought we went in 3.5-4 for Sordell. Can understand wanting a PL team to be honest, but we might be in a decent position to have landed him I would have thought.
I think the young Sullivan's Twitter account claimed we'd bid £3.5m and £5m for two players. If one of those was Sordell, Watford would have almost certainly accepted.

13th Jan news item here on KUMB stated that Watford wanted ITRO £5million for him. According to SkySports, "the young striker was a £3million signing [for Bolton] on deadline day".

If - and it's a rather large if, given their history - S&G did make offers of that value for two players, it's more likely to have been for someone like Andy Carroll or Carlos Tevez (ie players worth well in excess of the bids made) - or Rhodes, who wasn't for sale full stop.

I agree that much with what Trap has posted.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Trap,

I posted early in the window that we had a 4 million budget and surprise surprise we spent 4 million not 10.

I posted this because our CEO was telling staff. What a coincidence the two were the same.

Did Sullivan tell you we would be spending more or did you get a chinese whisper.
Trap1

Post by Trap1 »

bristolhammerfc wrote:Trap,

I posted early in the window that we had a 4 million budget and surprise surprise we spent 4 million not 10.

I posted this because our CEO was telling staff. What a coincidence the two were the same.

Did Sullivan tell you we would be spending more or did you get a chinese whisper.
Bristol,

Please don't think I was trying to dig at your comments because I know you provide in genuine and good faith.

I could get bogged down (as per usual), but all I want to say is that these fellas don't do budgets in reality.

Let's be frank here, they didn't spend £4million - they :thup: have balanced the books which s what they are very good at.

My source at WHUFC doesn't like this but I support West Ham Utd and that is why I'm shooting myself in the foot, so to speak.