Transfer Window: January 2012

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Re: Jan transfer window 2012

Post by Smonnie »

Yea Why Not wrote:
I've got a really sh*t set of golf clubs at home. Do you fancy giving me £500 for them?
Why would anyone buy a **** set of golf clubs for £500? And what's this got to do with the thread?

Idiot.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

wizzo_66 wrote:
Sadly I agree with this one. It looks like we missed a trick selling him after the CONCAF tournament where he looked very impressive and probably held his value at about £4-5 million. He wouldn't be anywhere near that now, he gets taken off at half time nearly every game for Zaragoza.
Who in their right mind would spend £5m on him on the back of a good showing in a South American tornument? He failed with us and is now failing in Spain. At this moment in time he obviously isn't good enough to play at the top level
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Yea Why Not wrote: Who in their right mind would spend £5m on him on the back of a good showing in a South American tornument? He failed with us and is now failing in Spain. At this moment in time he obviously isn't good enough to play at the top level
Stranger things have happened? Who on earth decides Titus Bramble is good enough to play Premier League football? Who on earth spends £1 million on Julien Faubert for 6 months. Barerra had an outstanding showing in that tournament, and we paid £4 million for him. Who is to say a Spanish team wouldn't have paid at least £4 million for him this summer.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

Smonnie wrote:
Why would anyone buy a sh*t set of golf clubs for £500? And what's this got to do with the thread?

Idiot.
Sorry I didn't mean to be harsh. I just don't see who in their right mind would spend millions of pounds on a player who has shown no signs of being able to perform at the top level
Smonnie

Post by Smonnie »

Yea Why Not wrote:
Sorry I didn't mean to be harsh. I just don't see who in their right mind would spend millions of pounds on a player who has shown no signs of being able to perform at the top level
Me neither, but I don't know why you had to bring up golf clubs as well.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

Smonnie wrote: Me neither, but I don't know why you had to bring up golf clubs as well.
Because £3-4m is an obsurd amount of money for Barrera. As is £500 for a **** set of golf clubs
Smonnie

Post by Smonnie »

Yea Why Not wrote: Because £3-4m is an obsurd amount of money for Barrera. As is £500 for a sh*t set of golf clubs
I didn't know you could get West Ham golf clubs. Can you post a link?
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

the pink palermo wrote:
Indeed .

My point is as much as it is nice to speculate about players we would like, the issue becomes affordability and who has to go to raise the money / free up some wage budget

The players many would want shot of wouldn't generate too much in the way of fees , and or release much budget for better players wages .After all, our entire squad cost less than £22m to build, and that includes £5m for Barerra and O'Neil who won't feature anytime soon .

Very few of the players for whom we have paid a fee will generate a higher fee upon departure - if any fee at all .
Absolutely, Pink.

The squad is relatively strong at the moment, and Allardyce has the freedom to bring in short-term loans if something goes tits up. I think the one thing that the board may be prepared to do would be to look at signing players who may hold their value.

When I say this, I'm immediately thinking about players like Ridgewell, Maynard, Shelvey, Ferdinand. These are players who whilst not being cheap, I think would be good investments - as opposed to the likes of Andy Johnson.

The other question mark, is a point that you made reference to in the Allardyce thread? Allardyce has been the first manager to be allowed to make his own decision and it would appear that when it comes to being able to get G and S and (more surprisingly/impressively) Brady to give him some funds. The wage bill is big, but I guess G and S are looking at it from a point of view that a. it's going down. b. it will be going down further this summer and c. we're judging ourselves as a Prem club rather than a Championship one.

So to summarise, I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 or 3 players brought in this January regardless of whether or not we lose anyone from the wage bill.
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

Smonnie wrote:
I didn't know you could get West Ham golf clubs. Can you post a link?
You can get golf club headcovers though :thup:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Smonnie

Post by Smonnie »

Hammer Matty wrote:
You can get golf club headcovers though

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those are cool. They're not £500 though. Am I missing something? :?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Top of our wanted list has to be a goal scorer with a proven record of scoring goals in the Premiership. I think we have to set our set sights high and anybody who has scored goals at top level is pretty much guaranteed to score in this league. Promotion is the aim and is absolutely paramount to the owners, to BFS and to the club as a whole. If there was any doubt beforehand that we were gambling with what he have, then that has now been cruelly exposed, as long term injury to either of our two main strikers and we are left high and dry as regretably, none of them find the net regularly enough. We need somebody who can bag 2 or 3 goals in a match and not one who averages a goal every other match or one in three, or four.

If promotion is our aim and it is, then we simply have to make every effort imaginable to lure somebody to U P. That can be by offering money they simply just cannot refuse and they feel it is worth taking that step down in order to get regular first team week in, week out, football and they view this as one step backwards in order to take two forwards. Players have done this before, so it is by no means impossible. Another option, can be a loan move for somebody like Michael Owen, who will not get this at Old Trafford, but seeing that he could still make the trip to the Euro finals if he gets regular first team football, he may be tempted by it, especially, now that United are out of the League Cup, which was Micheal Owen's only chance of getting a game. When you consider Piq has cost us considerably more in his £1m transfer fee to Portsmouth and the ludicrous sum of money shelled out to him in wages, than our paying just £1m to Michael Owen by taking on his wage packet for a season, this puts that move clearly into perspective. Just in case anybody is in any doubt, this is not intended as a plea that we should try and sign Micheal Owen per se, obviously we won't get the Ballotelli's, Tevez's, Rooneys, Van Persie's of this world, but somebody who will us guarantee goals and who will consider what on paper looks a backwards step but in reality, is not. Another player who springs to mind is Defoe, whom I have heard Harry is looking to send out on loan in January.

In the above, I have, I think given a reasonable explanation why I think we could get Michael Owen and why he just might consider a loan move to us till the end of the season, or just maybe, beyond, but should any of you think otherwise, then here your opportunity to explain why ?
RyanWHUFC

Post by RyanWHUFC »

After yesterday I've come to the decision that we need a striker who can finish consistently, a creative midfielder and a winger with lots of pace and who want's to take his man on and beat him.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Puff Daddy wrote:If they are stranded at Christmas, as looks likely, Wigan may look to cut costs in readiness for life in the Championship and if so, I wouldn't mind a couple of their players. I like the look of their keeper, Al Habsi and Maynar Figueroa too and although he has been atrocious so far this season, Hugo Rodallega has a reasonable goal scoring record in the Premiership.
I'd take all those and Martinez as well .
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

RyanWHUFC wrote:After yesterday I've come to the decision that we need a striker who can finish consistently, a creative midfielder and a winger with lots of pace and who want's to take his man on and beat him.
We have a goalscorer in Baldock, although admittedly without him we're stranded on the consistant finishing front. As much as I'd love another Yossi, where does he fit in with Noble providing the passes, Diop as a wardrobe infront of the back four, Nolan captain fantastic, and Collison continuing to improve, as well as Lansbury coming back. But, with only two wingers in the squad, Taylor picking up injuries, and Faubert, as much as he has improved, being Faubert. Another winger would be useful, although waiting for promotion (if we're capable without another winger) and going all out for Zaha or Moses could be a good idea. We should also try for JonJo Shelvey, not sure how highly he's rated at Liverpool, but with Henderson, Gerrard, Adam, Lucas and Spearing ahead of him, we might have a chance, loan with a view to buy?
RM6

Post by RM6 »

Joe Bennett, the 'boro left back looked useful yesterday.

Clyne and Zaha from Palace are interesting prospects.

Jay Rodriguez could be worth looking at.

Lallana would be a very good signing with Shelvey and Moses when we go up.

Could we afford it though?
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

RM6 wrote:Joe Bennett, the 'boro left back looked useful yesterday.

If Wigan go down, Moses could be a steal, Rodriguez at Burnley could also be attainable at a reasonable price, Lallana could be very expensive, especially if Southampton go up. Zaha depending on contract length and who else is interested, if he wants to join us, he could be a reasonable price. If Shelvey isn't in Liverpool's plans anytime soon we could get him.
KernowHammer8
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by KernowHammer8 »

Said it earlier in the thread but we should be all over Craig Noone. This guy is a massive talent.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

RM6 wrote:Joe Bennett, the 'boro left back looked useful yesterday.

It is absolutely paramount, we sign a a quality, proven, striker who will guarantee us goals, not chancers who just might, but more than likely, will not. Somebody who has been there and done it. Somebody who can score more than one goal in a game and can do it on a regular basis. Clyne is a good player, like him, but we are quite well off at right back, although I do think we need more options at left full back and I would go for Maynar Figueroa there. As to can we afford it ? Can we afford not to is the question. Agree about Moses to lead us to the promissed land though
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Actually yesterday Dicksy echoed Puff Daddy's comments about Tubbs..

:think:
RM6

Post by RM6 »

Puff Daddy wrote:
It is absolutely paramount, we sign a a quality, proven, striker who will guarantee us goals, not chancers who just might, but more than likely, will not.
Anelka?