Transfer Window: Summer 2012

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Absentee Hammer

Re: Summer 2012 Transfer and Rumours Thread

Post by Absentee Hammer »

SSN saying Lakuka has joined West Brom on loan for the season.

As I said before, I would love him at WHU, just the player BFS would want, but not on loan and help develop him for Chelski.
kielhammer

Post by kielhammer »

Lukaku has signed on a year loan at WBA
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 4266 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Not so sure winger is a low priority for us.

Maiga doesn't strike me as the type of player to provide crosses and delivery. RvT is good on the wing but likes to move inside at times and play as a second striker. Again, like Maiga, I think he is more of a goalscorer than a creator.

Matt Taylor shouldn't be starting for us in the Prem. Let's be honest, if he is, it's kind of a sacrifice of open play to fit in his set piece delivery prowess. O'Neil is a gap filler at best in the Prem, and certainly not a starting winger. Jackie Collison does a decent job out on the wings as a wide midfielder but again isn't really one to deliver crosses for Maiga, Carlton, RvT and Nolan to get on the end of.

Killing two birds with one stone, we'd sign a pacey winger with the ability to deliver good crosses and balls from open play AND set pieces, thus negating our need to sacrifice a position by sticking Taylor in. In that sense, Matt Jarvis would be a great option. Just perhaps not at £9m.

As for Lukaku, I think it's a good thing he hasn't come to us. Our lone striker is very specific. It's not as easy as sticking a big guy up there, especially a young one. Carlton does a very specific job up top, with the way he holds the ball up and occupies two, sometimes three defenders at once. He knows what his role is. I have a feeling Lukaku would have been much to inexperienced and naive to do the same job the way Allardyce would have wanted it done. We don't have time to wait it out with that position, especially with someone who would only return back to our rivals a better player at the end of the year anyway. As much as I am not a fan of his, Kenwyne Jones would be a better option than Romelu Lukaku considering the way we need our lone man to be disciplined and specific in his role this year.
Last edited by Aztec Hammer on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 426 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Kenwyne Jones, a decent central defender, a full back and we're done.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Kieran Richardson screams out to be bought. Left Back and Left wing all in one.

Then we're onto a RB, 4th CB and a forward. Most of these can probably be acquired on loan/free.

A Diarra/Diame axis possibly offers a lifeline for fans of 4-4-2 (?). It's certainly a workable option in games now.

I'd be amazed if we're offering £9 million for Jarvis when Richardson is available for a third of that (and is a better player).
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Depends if Sam prefers RVT on the left. Also, as found in 'The Insider' on the Mail's website it appears our bid for Jarvis should be no surprise as "the player shares an agent with manager Sam Allardyce" - which I didn't know although I wouldn't be surprised if it's been mentioned.
johnnydolphin

Post by johnnydolphin »

Wolves fans I have spoken to don't have a lot of time for Jarvis and say he was dog **** last year especially in the second half of the season where he went missing, 9m sounds way over the odds for an average championship winger in my humble opinion.
baritalia

Post by baritalia »

Calm down boys, that was just my jinxing. Who do you want next?

Kenwyne Jones will join us next. That's a fact.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 426 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

baritalia wrote: Kenwyne Jones will join us next. That's a fact.
Good. He'd be ideal for us.
RM6

Post by RM6 »

Seconded, he's certainly no worse than Cole and dare I say slightly better.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Denbighammer wrote: Good. He'd be ideal for us.
I agree. There's a good player in there somewhere...
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

In stitches myself !
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

kielhammer wrote:Lukaku has signed on a year loan at WBA
Good.

Would have been a risky signing and a cheap option. Whatever striker we bring in next will play a big part next season, what with Carltons knees. I would prefer a much more experienced striker.
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

indiehammer wrote:
Good.

Would have been a risky signing and a cheap option. Whatever striker we bring in next will play a big part next season, what with Carltons knees. I would prefer a much more experienced striker.
such as..?
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

dapablo wrote:In stitches myself !

You are Kieron Dyer and I claim my 5 pounds :D
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

claretcloggy wrote:such as..?
Someone who has played more than 8 games in the Premier League or a League more challenging than the Belgian Pro League. As far as young forwards go we have Vaz Te, Maynard, Maiga and Hall, 25, 25, 24 and 18 respectively. I feel if we want another target man to rotate with Cole it should be someone with decent experience in a competitive league.

I think Sam agrees with me aswell, considering his attempts to sign Holt, Yakubu, Carroll, Saha and Jones.
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

Wilko1304 wrote:"the player shares an agent with manager Sam Allardyce" - which I didn't know .
Uh oh, BFS's agent is Mark Curtis, the same Mark Curtis who ex agent Peter Harrison has had many ramblings about and says is totally bent (Peters words, not mine).

I had a quick search but have not found Jarvis's agent to confirm it, but it would not surprise me and would also explain the large fee being quoted
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

If Sam's agent gets a cut from such a big fee does Sam then also take a cut from him? All getting a bit libel and slander so I'm just querying possibility, not whether he does :wink:

Also: Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews
Huddersfield turn down £2m bid from Blackburn for striker Jordan Rhodes.

Surely they knew that was going to fail, we must have bid double that last season
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

Wilko1304 wrote: Huddersfield turn down £2m bid from Blackburn for striker Jordan Rhodes.

Surely they knew that was going to fail, we must have bid double that last season
They have caught Sullivanitis.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Absentee Hammer wrote:
I had a quick search but have not found Jarvis's agent to confirm it, but it would not surprise me and would also explain the large fee being quoted
It is Mark Curtis yeah..

Google " The Ginger Harry Secombe "..

Trust me..;)