Transfer Window: Summer 2012

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Re: Summer 2012 Transfer and Rumours Thread

Post by Morocco Mole »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:
It is Mark Curtis yeah..

Google " The Ginger Harry Secombe "..

Trust me..
Sam don't give a f*** does he?

He must have the whole 'operation' proper ironed out because it's so ****ing blatant.... :lol:
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

To be fair to Jarvis, from what I've seen of him, he aint a bad player. He was called up (and played ?) for England and then got an injury. If my memory serves me right, he was getting linked with Tottenham, Newcastle, Sunderland (?) but he struggled a bit after his injury. If we compare him against a similar player, Stewart Downing - he went for £15m ! Neither of those 2 are exceptional talent but I do think that there is more to come from Jarvis. I wouldn't be against him signing and I suspect that the thought is that if he does well, we could sell at a profit in a year or 2.
I think that is the plan - sign some old heads on longish term deals (Nolan, Diarra) and buy in youngsters with potential regardless of cost. We went for Carroll, bid for Jarvis and I have no doubt that were there a chance to sign any other young talent with a potential profit, we would bid for them too. As long as Allardyce is getting players that will improve us this season and he can build a core for the next 2 or 3 years, I can't imagine he will complain about the likes of Carroll or Jarvis coming in short term for the sole reason of being sold for a profit a year or so down the line. Both these players could add another 2 0r 3 places in the league - up to £2.5m which would cover some of their wages. The SKY money goes up next year, the Tevez debt is paid off, we may have been given occupancy of the OS. G&S will recoup any large expenditure by one way or another. The main thing is that we stay up. I am convinced that more players will come in to ensure that the mistake they made a couple of years ago is not repeated...
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

Bidding 9m for Jarvis and 17m for Carroll when what we really need is a right-back. It's all a bit too Redknapp for one's liking, tsk tsk.
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

Regarding our forwards:

Cole - never going to score loads of goals in the PL, dodgy knees, 12 goals tops if you're lucky, but he's proper WH now and gaining cult status - would love him to score 20+ but can't see it.

Vaz Te - was ***** last time round, so much so that he ended up at Barnsley and obviously thought blimey I've got to get out of this **** hole - best up my game a bit which he did fair play to him and ended up being our best player (I predicted that one happening 3 weeks before it did BTW)

Maynard - hardly set the Championship alight, does he have PL pedigree? - jury is out

Hall - just a kid, may get a few cup games and the odd 5 mins here and there if he's lucky

Maiga - Not prolific in Ligue 1 - can he cut it in the PL against better opposition who knows?

Sam will be going all out for an established 15-20 goal striker before the season kicks off.

I still think we'll have Rio and Berbatov in the starting line up come the start of the season.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

wormley wrote:Regarding our forwards:

Sam will be going all out for an established 15-20 goal striker before the season kicks off.

I still think we'll have Rio and Berbatov in the starting line up come the start of the season.
Not a knock at you but this generic ''we need a 20 goal a season man!!'' boils my piss.

Unless we are going to spend 20 million plus we won't get a 20 goal a season man.

Only the very top teams have em.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Matt of iron wrote:
Not a knock at you but this generic ''we need a 20 goal a season man!!'' boils my piss.

Unless we are going to spend 20 million plus we won't get a 20 goal a season man.

Only the very top teams have em.
Seconded

You see it all the time as well, proper embarrassing... when have we ever had a 20 goals a season striker in the last 20 years....

Same as people acting like they know what the club is doing with regards to planning for the season.
Willtelll

Post by Willtelll »

ageing hammer wrote:Hope it's not more premature Jack elation
That's been done before - not the joke.... :lol:
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

wormley wrote: Maiga - Not prolific in Ligue 1 - can he cut it in the PL against better opposition who knows?
He has a very decent record in a very defensive league, it just didn't suit your argument to acknowledge that did it
Willtelll

Post by Willtelll »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote::shock:

Matt Jarvis is not worth 9m GBP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes he is if someone pays that for him. £7.5m + £1.5m add ons might do it...
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

People need to learn the futility of talking about a '20 goal a season man'

You can buy someone who has given teams 20+ goals a season in the past. It doesn't mean they're going to give US 20+ goals. Equally we can buy someone like Maiga (in theory, of course) who goes on a goalscoring run and becomes this 20+ goal a season man.

Torres is perhaps a good example. The talent can be there... but goalscoring (and to such a level) is never guaranteed
Willtelll

Post by Willtelll »

baritalia wrote:No worries about the striker, we'll bring in Lukaku OR Guidetti on loan. That's a fact.
baritalia wrote:Kenwyne Jones will join us next. That's a fact.
Any other guarantees you want to give us baritalia? Particularly as others say Lukaku has agreed to go to WBA....!
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

baritalia wrote:That's a fact.
All of your facts are opinions. That's a fact.

It'll be interesting to see who we managed to get (if anyone) in the striker role. I can't see Jones being the level that our owners / manager are after. I do believe we are setting our sights a LOT higher. Whether we can pull it off or not is a different matter, of course.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Willtelll wrote:
Yes he is if someone pays that for him. £7.5m + £1.5m add ons might do it...
But no one will though, because he's not worth it.
chunkay

Post by chunkay »

Hayden wrote:People need to learn the futility of talking about a '20 goal a season man'
And we'll probably struggle to find one who has even scored 20 in a season in the Premier League. Sod Torres, we could end up with an Adel Tarrapt.
Willtelll

Post by Willtelll »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:But no one will though, because he's not worth it.
I have to admit Bobby that I have never noticed him playing. Anywhere, anytime, anyhow. Wolves aren't exactly on my radar but my point is that if we offered £6m + £3m add ons then he's worth that to us. I do have difficulty believing we (G&S) have that kind of dosh but hey, whatever floats their's and Sam's (agent's) boat.... :arry:
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

Mirror reporting that matt jarvis has handed in transfer request to force through move to us. Cant post link cos im on my phone
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Cole 12 goals in what world do people think we will get anyone to score more than 15? Kanote never managed more when we were decent
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: But no one will though, because he's not worth it.
We might if there's 10-20% going astray.... :D
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

I don't insist on or expect 20 goals, nor do we need 20 goals from our new forward to stay up. Ten to fifteen would be great to add to the X we will get from everyone else and would, IMO, be double or more than we can expect from our current players unless Maiga turns out to be far better than I think he is.

I just want some busy, tall, aggressive, awkward bugger who knows when to stick his foot out to tap it in the goal or where to put his head for corners. I agree there's not many to be found these days. I don't think Berbatov is the man, Adebayor or somebody like that would be perfect.
Broomfield Hammer
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy.
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Broomfield Hammer »

Faubert's Boot wrote:Mirror reporting that matt jarvis has handed in transfer request to force through move to us. Cant post link cos im on my phone
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... er-1247775" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;