Transfer Window: Summer 2012

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bobo

Re: Summer 2012 Transfer and Rumours Thread

Post by bobo »

Syphalis wrote:if we are looking at spending in the region of £10 mill on a winger then surely we should be looking at Adam Johnson...he's twice the player that Jarvis is, Johnson would be quality and can play either wing.
I would say Johnson would feel he's above us and that a team like Liverpool would be a better option and that's not even starting to talk about his wages.

That said as good as Johnson is and he is a fantasic winger who I would love at West Ham, he's delivery from crosses are not as good as Jarvis, the Wolves man has a cracking cross and with the right target man they will score goals. Every time I see Wolves last season and the amount of good crosses put in by Jarvis that were crying out for a big target man to put in the back of the net, Fletcher is a great goal getter but he ain't no target man.
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

I think that we can do better for the money than Jarvis and the two Blackpool lads are great shouts. I think we do need some width and I think that RB has to be my main priority.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Jarvis has quality delivery. Ince and Philips have pace and a trick, but the final ball isn't the best. You can see the difference when Taylor plays, that final ball is so much better, we need more of that. Also, we are crying out for someone good on free kicks. We had a few last night and I just knew we weren't going to hit the target
bobo

Post by bobo »

Syphalis wrote:if we are looking at spending in the region of £10 mill on a winger then surely we should be looking at Adam Johnson...he's twice the player that Jarvis is, Johnson would be quality and can play either wing.
I would say Johnson would feel he's above us and that a team like Liverpool would be a better option and that's not even starting to talk about his wages.

That said as good as Johnson is and he is a fantasic winger who I would love at West Ham, he's delivery from crosses are not as good as Jarvis, the Wolves man has a cracking cross and with the right target man they will score goals. Every time I see Wolves last season and the amount of good crosses put in by Jarvis that were crying out for a big target man to put in the back of the net, Fletcher is a great goal getter but he ain't no target man.
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

Maiga looked better last night and I am confident that he will fond his feet soon and be a real asset to us. This argie RB sounds decent and I hope we can get him in.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Dannyboylister wrote:Jarvis has quality delivery. Ince and Philips have pace and a trick, but the final ball isn't the best. You can see the difference when Taylor plays, that final ball is so much better, we need more of that. Also, we are crying out for someone good on free kicks. We had a few last night and I just knew we weren't going to hit the target
Taylor is a free kick expert
lmb oneday
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by lmb oneday »

with all this talk about wingers - jarvis ,the blackpool pair and johnson why not go for zaha at palace , he has the abillity to be the best out of all of them (and cheaper than jarvis and johnson).....
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I don't know if it's already been discussed , but if we're seriously going to go after Jarvis , then who is the striker who's going to be on the end of his crosses ?
The only one with any known heading ability is Vas Te , but I can't see him moving in as a centre forward , so somebody has to be in the pipeline [ unless Maiga is the man ] but I can't see that unless the Carroll bid was a lie .[
So , if we sign Jarvis we'll be after a big lump to be on the end of his crosses and in order to keep costs down we might see us going after Kenwyn Jones again or someone of his ilk [ Rhodes , Bentdner , Davies , Dzeko 8-) ] .
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we sign Jarvis that we'll be making another bid for Andy Carroll , and then we'd be serious contenders for a top 6 finish . Well , better than 17th anyway !!
Mark32

Post by Mark32 »

Sky sports now also saying that Matt Jarvis has handed in a transfer request. You'd presume ther'll be some more movement from us on this now. As many have said I don't rate Matt Jarvis at £9 Million and certainly wouldn't want us to pay the £10 Million they want for him. But if they're happy to spend £9 Million I'd imagine we'll restructure the deal to offer more upfront to Wolves.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we sign Jarvis that we'll be making another bid for Andy Carroll , and then we'd be serious contenders for a top 6 finish . Well , better than 17th anyway !!
A move for Carroll to us (or elsewhere) is still on the cards IMHO, Liverpools gaffer has laid out his gameplan, Carroll does not feature, Newcastle have had their bluff called and dont really want him (just appeasing the best fans in the world by feigning an interest) so where does it leave Carroll,s playing career and his England aspirations ? expect a move....somewhere
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Think we missed a trick not going for maxi from Liverpool
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: The only one with any known heading ability is Vas Te
You obviously don't know a great deal about Maiga then.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

After getting over the initial shock that we would bid that much for him, I do think Jarvis ticks all the boxes.

Johnson is a good player, but I doubt he'd dying to come here and his wages will be sky high. Phillips and particularly Ince look to have big futures, but I'm not convinced Phillips is ready to play premiership football right now - i.e. starting against Villa in a week, which is what we need - and same for Ince, with the additional fact that he was booed by some cretins among our support not two months ago. So Jarvis it is...

I do think one thing that many people are overlooking is that last season he chipped in with 8 goals himself - this from the wing in a side that finished dead last. That type of figure would have made him our top scorer the season we went down. So he offers more than just goals for others.

Watching the Braga game was pretty illuminating - we have a team rigged for set-pieces, without a decent starting set-piece taker. Look what happened when Taylor came on. Penalties aside, Noble's dead ball skills are limited.
The Old Man of Storr

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:You obviously don't know a great deal about Maiga then.
I did add ' unless it's Maiga ' , Bob , and you're right , I know absolutely nothing about Maiga , but I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do .
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Weren't Wolves inexplicably sniffing around Piq at some point last season?

We should add him in as part of the bid and kill 2 birds with one stone
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Aceface wrote:Weren't Wolves inexplicably sniffing around Piq at some point last season?

We can only dream!!

I wonder if Sam is keeping him as emergency back up to cole I mean he is prem proven and heads the ball well etc...

Only if cole and maiga are out tho
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

I hope we don't have to write Piq off.
I know he has been pants, but if we can find the way to motivate him again, he's a decent player
The Old Man of Storr

Aceface wrote:Weren't Wolves inexplicably sniffing around Piq at some point last season?

As soon as we've tied up the Carroll deal he'll be gone ! :D
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Wolves have tons of strikers, surely a team in France even out in like Qatar, USA would take him, anybody know if he is refusing to move to certain areas or something.
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Sky Sports understands that Wolverhampton Wanderers winger Matt Jarvis has handed in a transfer request at Molineux.

The 26-year-old has become the second player this week to officially make a request to leave, following on from Sunderland target Steven Fletcher.
Jarvis has been the subject of rejected bids from West Ham, whilst Stoke and Fulham have also been linked with his services.

Now the Middlesbrough-born winger has made his position clear and he wants to be back in the Premier League next season.

Jarvis has one eye on his international prospects, having already gained one England cap last year.